Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Armouring & Weapon Smithing
Lamellar Leather cutting test

kiwifruitbat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:13 am     Lamellar Leather cutting test Reply with quote

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyxtpeIeIpg&feature=related - Leather armour in a cutting test. Looks impressive.

Question is - how long would making a suit (Torso, arms, bracers, greaves) of lamellar leather take?

Alan.
Kotek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:18 am      Reply with quote

I have a shirt of 5mm wax hardened leather lammelar, each bit is roughly business card size. It took me about 5-6 hours to lace together, but I'm fairly small.

As for its strength against a steel sword, I think it would be better than nothing, but certainaly a determined blow could cut through it. I was originally thinking that the leather cord holding it together could be cut and it would all fall apart, but there are four points on each scale, so that is a lot harder than I thought. Luckily I only fight SCA so I'm fairly safe from cutting it up.

Also, those guys don't look like they're hitting that bottle as hard as they could do...
BigMac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:41 pm      Reply with quote

There ia a more articulated style that uses chianmail links rather than lacing not that i have tried it
TTFN
Bigmac

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: