Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Equestrian
Conquerors: The Roots of New World Horsemanship

Chevalier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:33 pm     Conquerors: The Roots of New World Horsemanship Reply with quote

Some of us are reading this book at the moment: "Conquerors"

The Roots of New World Horsemanship" This marvelous 432-page volume tells the story of m,ounted horsemanship from its beginnings in prehistory to the days of the Spanish Conquest of the New World. An American Library Association "Best in Category" winner, this book offers the easy readability of a novel yet the technical depth of a college textbook. In this landmark work, Dr Deb tackles one of the grandest stories in the history of the world. Native warriors, desert nomads, Norman knights, Spanish conquistadors, Argentinian gauchos, Tejano colonists and Californian vaqueros all contribute to the birth of the unique and varied horse cultures of the New World. Provocative and fascinating, we guarantee that "Conquerors" is one book that you will not be able to put down.
With some 500 illustrations, maps, quotations from rare original sources and an extensive bibliography and index, "Conquerors" coversthe history of every country in the New World that has ever bred horses of Iberian background. This volume is an invaluable resource not only for owners, breeders and aficionados, but for teachers who need an authorative and well researched volume on the history of horsemanship.

It surely sounds highly promising!
Chevalier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:34 pm     Deb Bennet is visiting Aotearoa New Zealand! Reply with quote

Aaaaand Deb Bennet is actually in Aotearoa New Zealand right now:

"Gait Analysis" Clinic with Dr Deb Bennet

Would you like to:
- Thoroughly understand the movement of the horse
- Get the desired canter lead EVERY time from halt, walk, or trot
- Improve co-ordination between the hand & the leg
- Understand what engagement of the hind-quarter truly means
- And much more?

Dr Deb Bennett PhD combines her expertise on the bio-mechanics of the horse with her understanding of the ‘Classical High School’. She has trained horses to very high levels, her horses do beautiful piaffe, passage and flying changes with ease. Her physio-therapeutic riding allowed her horses to stay sound and rideable into their late twenties and thirties.

The Gait Analysis Classes will be an invaluable resource for thoroughly understanding the movement of the horse and improving your feel and timing of the aids.

North Island and South Island clinics available. Check out the dates and venues at http://www.sporthorsesnewzealand.com/img/Gait%20Analysis%20Flyer%20NZ.pdf .
Baroque

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:22 am      Reply with quote

I got my copy of Conquerors through www.equibooks.com they have a good selection of books on my favourite horses Wink and they are often cheaper than most - this book was $29.95 where its $59.95 from Amazon.

Still waiting to get some time to get into it again! Maybe tonite - oh no I can't! I have an AGM to go to. Rolling Eyes

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: