Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> NAAMA & General Discussion
What is your favorite medieval movie?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

What is your favorite "medieval" movie?
Alexander Nevsky (1938, Nikolai Cherkasov)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Braveheart (1995, Mel Gibson)
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
El Cid (1961, Charlton Heston)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Excalibur (1981, Nigel Terry)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Flesh & Blood (1985, Rutger Hauer and Jennifer Jason Leigh)
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Henry V (1989, Kenneth Branagh and Brian Blessed)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ivanhoe (1952, Robert Taylor and Elizabeth Taylor)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Kingdom of Heaven (2005, Orlando Bloom)
9%
 9%  [ 5 ]
Beowulf (2007, Ray Winstone)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Robin Hood (1991, Danny Webb)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991, Kevin Costner, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
The 13th Warrior (1999, Antonio Banderas)
13%
 13%  [ 7 ]
The Lion in Winter (1968, Peter O'Toole and Katharine Hepburn)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc (1999, Milla Jovovich)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The Name of the Rose (1986, Sean Connery and Christian Slater)
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
The Vikings (1958, Kirk Douglas)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Tristan + Isolde (2006, James Franco and Sophia Myles)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Kingdom of Heaven, the Director's Cut (2005, Orlando Bloom)
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
Beowulf & Grendel (2005, Gerard Butler)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Beowulf & Grendel (2005, Gerard Butler)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
The Return of Martin Guerre (1982, GĂ©rard Depardieu)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Anazapta (2001, Jason Flemyng)
17%
 17%  [ 9 ]
A Knights Tale (2001, Heath Ledger)
17%
 17%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 52

Gaius Drustanus
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:58 pm      Reply with quote

In the 1980s there was an earlier version of"Tristan and Isolde"too apparently with Richard Burton was King Mark of Cornwall. I never saw it unfortunately and someone told me it wasn"t very good. Back then there was another great Dark Age TV Series too "The Legend of King Arthur".
While the themes were very Tennysonian"The Idylls of the the King" or John Waterhouse, the Physical Culture was firmly 5th Century Britain. Arthurs'Knights tromp around wearing Roman squamata Scale Armour and Sutton Hoo helmets and instead of castellated medieval Castles you see Stone built Pictish Brochs. When Hengest (or was it Cerdic?) turns up at the end in alliance with the traitorous Medraut at the Battle of Camlann, he speaks with a thick German accent (like Caligula's German Guard in the assassination scene in"I,Claudius")

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:19 pm      Reply with quote

Luther with Randolf Feinnes (sp) was another great film the elector count of saxony was very funny to watch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:20 pm      Reply with quote

Luther with Randolf Feinnes (sp) was another great film the elector count of saxony was very funny to watch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:32 pm      Reply with quote

stephan wrote:
i want to see a medieval movie with more grit yes kindom of heaven was execlent but it also needed more grit and reality it was slightly hollywood

I thought The Reckoning (2003, Paul Bettany and Willem Dafoe) was good for its portrayal of medieval France. I especially liked that the Knights were so imposing and so much larger than everyone else.

Fungus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:20 am     Hello Reply with quote

When I herd the title "Parth Finder" I was chuffed as I had seen the sub titled Finnish version about the ancient Laplander Legend of the same name and it was bloody good.
Its a pity the latest movie of that name was crap

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:08 am      Reply with quote

Nells wrote:
me personally like quite a few of those movies but my favourite would have to be "caliqula" thats not how its spelt but i'm sure Rob the Roman will be able to spell it right for all of us. It was a great movie, if not a bit sick and strange.

That movie pretty closely followed exactly what the historical sources said about Caligula. It's all in Seutonius, The Twelve Caesars, look under Life of Caius (Caligula's proper name - Caligula was merely his nickname).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:55 am      Reply with quote

A Historical flick worth a mention in our compendium of Medieval cinema is"A Lion in Winter" starring Katherine Hepburn as Elinor of Aquitaine and Peter O'Toole(?). More recently Captain Picard was Henry I in a T.V. version miniseries and that blonde actress from"Fatal Attraction"played Elinor. Picard gets around in time as he was also Emperor Tiberius' plotting Praetorian Prefect Sejanus in "I,Claudius".
Back in the day, when I was with Ak Sword and Shield we went to Titirangi to do an opening Display for a theatrical version of"A Lion in Winter"that was excellent. It was hilarious, highlighting how camp the Lionheart was and the King of France. Poor Berengaria!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:20 am     Movies of a particular bent Reply with quote

Whilst we are trotting out movies (Good and Bad) I will drop into the mix a somewaht whimsical and at times humourous adaptation of The Decamarron (sic) Not bad but not worth $8.00 at the movies. Wait till it's in the $5.00 for a week pile.

Oh Yeah it's called "Virgin Territory"

Cheers
Bogue
Gaius Drustanus
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:46 pm      Reply with quote

Some other movies that deserve a mention for one reason or another:
"Eric the Viking". Python goes Norse. John Cleese is great as Halfdan the Black, also Tim Robbins and Mickey Rooney. Accurate Viking equipment and a cute little Viking Ship. Hy Brasil and the"cloak of Invisibility", and portraying the Aesir as petulent little children is a good touch. Still available on DVD in The Warehouse bargain bins. Hilarious.
"Attila".Before he was King Leonidas of Sparta and Beowulf the (Irish) Gerard Butler did a turn as the Hunnic Khan, the Scourge of God. Great Acting but Jack Palance, the Hollywood cowboy dude, was much more convincing and sinister as Attila the Hun in the 1950s"Sign of the Pagan". Aetius, the Magister Militum of Gaul,the"Last Roman", is my Hero,struggling to protect Classical Civilisation in the face of an overwhelming wave of sceppe Barbarism. Still available on DVD.
"The 300 Spartans"Rudolf Mate 1962.Can still be found on DVD at the Warehouse DVD bins $10.
And a real Turkey:"First Knight". Riddled with most if not all Hollywood medieval and arthurian cliches, Sean Connery should have got a Razzie for being involved. About the same vintage as"Braveheart" and a good"date"Movie I was told. Sucks in every other way though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:21 am      Reply with quote

Kingdom of Heaven Directors Cut gets my vote, but it was a tough call. Braveheart, 13th Warrior & Tristan + Isolde were all in the running.
Robin and Marion - did somebody mention that earlier? Excellent little movie.

'The Advocate' is a forgotten little gem that's also well worth a look. It's probably about 12-15 years old now. Stars Colin Firth, Ian Holm, Donald Pleasance. I've seen it a few times over the years, on video and late night TV. It's about a lawyer in 13th/14thC France, who has to defend a pig in a murder trial.
Sounds odd, I know, but ... it's a great little film that deserves a wider audience Smile

Mike.
BigMac

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:46 am      Reply with quote

Outlaw wrote:

'The Advocate' is a forgotten little gem that's also well worth a look. It's probably about 12-15 years old now. Stars Colin Firth, Ian Holm, Donald Pleasance. I've seen it a few times over the years, on video and late night TV. It's about a lawyer in 13th/14thC France, who has to defend a pig in a murder trial.
Sounds odd, I know, but ... it's a great little film that deserves a wider audience :-)

Mike.

Didn't he also defend a donkey from being exicuted for adaultery on the grounds that the donkey was a non consenting participent?

TTFN
Bigmac

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:01 pm      Reply with quote

The poll is interesting.

7 votes for The Thirteenth Warrior
6 votes for Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut
3 votes for Kingdom of Heaven

Is that 9 votes for Kingdom of Heaven?
Who is in the lead?

I'm confused.

Phil Berghan-Whyman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:03 pm      Reply with quote

Outlaw wrote:
'The Advocate'

Otherwise titled: The Hour of the Pig (1993)

Effigy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:35 pm      Reply with quote

W000TT!!!
13th Warrior,
Antonio is such a honey. Take note boys. Twisted Evil
And its one of the few i actually paid money for.
BTW there's a new generation enjoying it. I relegated it to Scott's bedroom a few years ago and its the most regularly resurrected of all the 'old' vids in his room. His mates (all around 11-yrs) often choose it for bed time on sleep overs.
A
BigMac

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:50 am      Reply with quote

Phil Berghan-Whyman wrote:
The poll is interesting.

7 votes for The Thirteenth Warrior
6 votes for Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut
3 votes for Kingdom of Heaven

Is that 9 votes for Kingdom of Heaven?
Who is in the lead?

I'm confused.

I say 13th warrior while KoH is cool (and no I haven't seen the DC) I think 13th's small unit skirmishing tactics and working as a group against superior numbers not to mention certain old soldier life lessons make it not only more relivent to our stuff but the better watch.

TTFN
Bigmac

Page 5 of 8

Jump to: