Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> NAAMA & General Discussion
What is your favorite medieval movie?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

What is your favorite "medieval" movie?
Alexander Nevsky (1938, Nikolai Cherkasov)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Braveheart (1995, Mel Gibson)
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
El Cid (1961, Charlton Heston)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Excalibur (1981, Nigel Terry)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Flesh & Blood (1985, Rutger Hauer and Jennifer Jason Leigh)
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Henry V (1989, Kenneth Branagh and Brian Blessed)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ivanhoe (1952, Robert Taylor and Elizabeth Taylor)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Kingdom of Heaven (2005, Orlando Bloom)
9%
 9%  [ 5 ]
Beowulf (2007, Ray Winstone)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Robin Hood (1991, Danny Webb)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991, Kevin Costner, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
The 13th Warrior (1999, Antonio Banderas)
13%
 13%  [ 7 ]
The Lion in Winter (1968, Peter O'Toole and Katharine Hepburn)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc (1999, Milla Jovovich)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The Name of the Rose (1986, Sean Connery and Christian Slater)
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
The Vikings (1958, Kirk Douglas)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Tristan + Isolde (2006, James Franco and Sophia Myles)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Kingdom of Heaven, the Director's Cut (2005, Orlando Bloom)
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
Beowulf & Grendel (2005, Gerard Butler)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Beowulf & Grendel (2005, Gerard Butler)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
The Return of Martin Guerre (1982, Gérard Depardieu)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Anazapta (2001, Jason Flemyng)
17%
 17%  [ 9 ]
A Knights Tale (2001, Heath Ledger)
17%
 17%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 52

gt1cm2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:33 pm      Reply with quote

Baroque wrote:

That's my favourite - but mainly because the only other one on the list that I've seen is Kingdom of Heaven and I was a wee bit drunk at the time so don't remember that much of it. Embarassed

would you like me to send you our copy?? original or directors cuts.... Very Happy

I think I would have voted Knights Tale too but alas it wasn't an option so Kingdom of Heaven was the vote... suppose it does have some nice horseys too!

did the band play the last post and chorus
did the pipes play the flowers of the forest
Gaius Drustanus
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:38 pm      Reply with quote

A Knights Tail.
Great Movie! Shame about the (inappropiate) Medieval Music. David Bowie and Queen, as far as I can recall. Heath Ledger must have been blind. His armourer Chick was SO much nicer than that vapid princess he went after. And the actor who played the aristocratic bad guy dude was so GOOD! I've seen him in a few other flicks too and he is a good actor.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:29 pm      Reply with quote

i think the music was very appropirate the makers wanted to have anachronistic clashes in the film. After all in one scene the love intrest was wearing sneakers as part of her outfit, (Chantelle was sitting next to me when she saw that.....i did get my heaing back eventually, the stress fractures to my wrist when she grabbed it still give me trouble on cold days though)

i do agree with your assesment of the directors choice of female lead, sometimes the new discovery that you found while waiting in line at Mcd's should just stay there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:38 pm      Reply with quote

Gaius Drustanus wrote:
A Knights Tail.
His armourer Chick was SO much nicer than that vapid princess he went after. And the actor who played the aristocratic bad guy dude was so GOOD! I've seen him in a few other flicks too and he is a good actor.

Completely agree about the girls, the princess was not only physically unattractive (comparatively) , but had the sort of personality that inspires homicide.

The guy is Rufus Sewell http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001722/, I first saw him in Dark City, but more on topic he is Marke in Tristan + Isolde, which is a great movie, although more of a Drama than a Medieval Action.

As for voting for my favourite Medieval Movie, I guess right now it is the director's cut of kingdom of heaven, mainly because I only have the theatrical cut and is seems that absence has indeed made the heart pine more.
Gaius Drustanus
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:47 pm      Reply with quote

And I had the impression that the Plate Armour worn by the Infantry guards was from another(later)period to the full plate worn by the Jousting Knights in Knights Tail. I really liked"Tristan + Isolde'" but unfortunately there was virtually no sexual chemistry between the two actors in the their lead roles, the so called star-crossed lovers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:58 pm      Reply with quote

Baroque wrote:
bollox! Its not there.. Rolling Eyes where's A Knights Tale on the list then?!

For some reason Beowulf and Grendel ate it. Its on there now, but Beowulf is expanding rapidly. Filthy Geats!

Chevalier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:16 pm      Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder how it compares with the 'making of' doco that we saw at the Wgtn Fringe Film Festival. One reviewer gave some very harsh (but true) feedback.

Uh, are you suggesting the director dared to air the film again? Let's check:

no structure to the documentary
no plot of the film project given
people being named and then re-named differently
the horse showing off its *thing* with the director on top
plot still missing
audience trying to escape

and a director explaining it had to be done this way because there was no money?

Good grace. At least we can cite another witness to this true story!
Nathan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:36 pm      Reply with quote

Carl, the great Alec Guiness played King Charles in Cromwell, hense my line.

N

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:01 am      Reply with quote

Gaius Drustanus wrote:
And I had the impression that the Plate Armour worn by the Infantry guards was from another(later)period to the full plate worn by the Jousting Knights in Knights Tail. I really liked"Tristan + Isolde'" but unfortunately there was virtually no sexual chemistry between the two actors in the their lead roles, the so called star-crossed lovers.

The leading man was fine when he was being Heroic but every time he tried to show emotion I almost fell out of my chair laughing. He had about as much presance as a wet dishtowel.

TTFN
Bigmac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:00 am      Reply with quote

Phil Berghan-Whyman wrote:
Baroque wrote:
bollox! Its not there.. Rolling Eyes where's A Knights Tale on the list then?!

For some reason Beowulf and Grendel ate it. Its on there now, but Beowulf is expanding rapidly. Filthy Geats!

Shocked are they breeding or what?! Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:55 am      Reply with quote

Gaius Drustanus wrote:
Great Movie! Shame about the (inappropiate) Medieval Music. David Bowie and Queen, as far as I can recall. Heath Ledger must have been blind. His armourer Chick was SO much nicer than that vapid princess he went after. And the actor who played the aristocratic bad guy dude was so GOOD! I've seen him in a few other flicks too and he is a good actor.

While most people think that "Knights Tale" was just a jousting flick, it was actually much deeper than that and explored Medieval life on many different levels. You have to look at the 'special features' on the second disk if you own the two disk set to see the levels below the jousting and why they chose modern music, etc.

Now it's on the poll I guess it is too late to change my vote.

Order of the Boar Historical Foot Combat -
www.hapkido.org.nz/upperhutt.html
Nells

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:28 pm      Reply with quote

me personally like quite a few of those movies but my favourite would have to be "caliqula" thats not how its spelt but i'm sure Rob the Roman will be able to spell it right for all of us. It was a great movie, if not a bit sick and strange.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:44 pm      Reply with quote

i want to see a medieval movie with more grit yes kindom of heaven was execlent but it also needed more grit and reality it was slightly hollywood
i liked his dad he was cool,
a prequeal about how the group of crusaders at the beggining would be awesome
anyone got a camera ?
stephan
Gaius Drustanus
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:05 pm      Reply with quote

Caligula. Yes, that's right. Kinky stuff. Bob Guccione was behind that one!

John Hurt, in my opinion, was a better Caligula ("Bootikins"or"Little Boots") in the TV seriies"I.Claudius", based on the same novel by Robert Graves and featuring Derek Jacobi (also in"Gladiator"). Very scary.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:23 pm      Reply with quote

Here is another title that got away...."Gawain and the Green Knight". 1973, director Stephen Weeks. I remember this one as being rather good. It kept to the very pagan roots of the story. Another version was made in the early 80`s, but was more hollywood, and pretty uninspiring.
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: