Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> NAAMA & General Discussion
What is your favorite medieval movie?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

What is your favorite "medieval" movie?
Alexander Nevsky (1938, Nikolai Cherkasov)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Braveheart (1995, Mel Gibson)
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
El Cid (1961, Charlton Heston)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Excalibur (1981, Nigel Terry)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Flesh & Blood (1985, Rutger Hauer and Jennifer Jason Leigh)
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Henry V (1989, Kenneth Branagh and Brian Blessed)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ivanhoe (1952, Robert Taylor and Elizabeth Taylor)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Kingdom of Heaven (2005, Orlando Bloom)
9%
 9%  [ 5 ]
Beowulf (2007, Ray Winstone)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Robin Hood (1991, Danny Webb)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991, Kevin Costner, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
The 13th Warrior (1999, Antonio Banderas)
13%
 13%  [ 7 ]
The Lion in Winter (1968, Peter O'Toole and Katharine Hepburn)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc (1999, Milla Jovovich)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The Name of the Rose (1986, Sean Connery and Christian Slater)
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
The Vikings (1958, Kirk Douglas)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Tristan + Isolde (2006, James Franco and Sophia Myles)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Kingdom of Heaven, the Director's Cut (2005, Orlando Bloom)
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
Beowulf & Grendel (2005, Gerard Butler)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Beowulf & Grendel (2005, Gerard Butler)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
The Return of Martin Guerre (1982, Gérard Depardieu)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Anazapta (2001, Jason Flemyng)
17%
 17%  [ 9 ]
A Knights Tale (2001, Heath Ledger)
17%
 17%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 52

Wellybex

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:09 am      Reply with quote

Quote:
anazapta is a good movie as well and very medieval in it behaviour and concept
it is about the plauge and how it affects people and who they blame

I agree - great movie but kinda hard to find.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:35 pm      Reply with quote

How about:"Worst Medieval Movie Ever Made".

Surely that recent distinction must go to that Cinema Turkey"Pathfinder" which even the reasonably good acting skills of New Zealander Karl Urban could not rescue from being so diabolically bad. Surely Niall should have shot his FARB barb at this Travesty, where Vinland is invaded to kill Native Americans, instead of poor Angie Joly. Like that old Classic"King Alfred"you can tell who the Bad Guys are because all the Vikings are garbed in black (i'm sure I saw some wandering mercs among the extras). But worse than that, they ALL have horned helmets! But worse than that, all the Officer Vikings have 2 sets of HORNS on their hats. FARB to the Max, they are equipped like a gang of West Auckland bikies, sort of Rambo meets Conan (but much worse than either). Why didn't the West Auckland Norsemen object to that one? We certainly did.
It reminds me too of an earlier Dog with a similar theme where Lee Majors, otherwise the Six Million dollar Man and husband of Farah Fawcett was rowing a Viking Ship to North America, together with a Negro Viking (shades of Morgan Freeman in"Prince of Thieves"). They were wearing Horned Helmets too(a la Hagar the Horrible) and Renaissance style steel breastplates at the rowing benches. At least the horns were placed in the correct position: Upward. SURELY that makes it more authentic!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:19 pm      Reply with quote

Pathfinder sucked, but to my thinking it was fantasy. Thus they could do as they liked with the Vikings (and they did).

Quest of the Delta Knights (1993) is horrible. I have yet to manage the whole movie. It is not even bad in an entertaining way.

Phil Berghan-Whyman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:28 pm      Reply with quote

I did really enjoy Apocalypto, which as early 16th C almost falls in the medieval period (but just misses and the crowd goes ooooohhhh).
Phil Berghan-Whyman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:44 pm      Reply with quote

I managed to delete the duplicate Beowulf and Grendel (2005) entry on the poll, but only by deleting the entry (I then reentering it). Could the person who had voted for the movie please vote again (PM me if you can't).

Thanks kindly

Gaius Drustanus
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:04 pm      Reply with quote

Yeah,"Apocalypto" was pretty good but were the Mayas doing Human Sacrafice on that scale (or any scale) so close to Spanish contact.? Aztecs more likely. Do we count Non European or New World as medieval? Insofar that we have L'Anse au Meadows (or whatever it's called)in NewFoundland "Pathfinder" was connected to Medieval European events.
Another dodgy but entertaining Viking flick was"The Longships" starring Richard Widmark (of"Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea"fame) and Sydney Poutier based on a really awesome Historical novel of the same name. Rhe movie featured a Golden Bell and a really slapstick and hilarious Harem scene. But the movie was totally disappointing, compared to that book.
"Kingdom of Heaven"was a good Movie except that Orlando Bloom was totally underwhelming as an actor in that role and his Character Balian of Ibilin was elderly, in his 60s or 70s, when he organised the Defense of Jerusalem. It was at the Horns of Hattin, not Jerusalem, that the fate of Outremer was decided.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:55 pm      Reply with quote

Nevsky does it for me. We may have lost but we did it with style (damn English)

Now I know that it is not medieval, but Cromwell (1970) with Richard Harris has got to be one of the greats in period films. Long live King Obe Wan Kenobi.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:37 pm      Reply with quote

Quote:
Quest of the Delta Knights (1993) is horrible. I have yet to manage the whole movie. It is not even bad in an entertaining way.

Quite obviously, the film was filmed during a Renn Fair or to be exact: at the Renaissance Pleasure Faire in California. Which made me wonder what would have happened if anyone ever attempted a filming at NAAMA. And I promptly find this comment online: "Renn Faires as Movie Sets, 26 May 2001
No doubt numerous performers, owners, and attendees of Renn Faires across the country have seen these places as potential backdrops for flicks. KNIGHTRIDERS did it well but also established that such a film is damn near impossible to make. Then we have QUEST.... well, at least this misbegotten piece of (insert period insult here) should prove what a lousy idea film making at a Renn Faire is! If you work at a Renn Faire anywhere in the country or on the planet and someone is about to use your Faire as a movie lot, MAKE THEM WATCH THIS MOVIE!

And then TAKE AWAY THEIR CAMERAS!!!!!!!

The world will thank you!"

NO further comment. Smile

Though, on a related note, Boyd and me had the 'privilegue' of watching a fantasy film made during a Taupo medieval gathering last year and, OMGGG, it was horrendous!
Errol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:28 am      Reply with quote

Chevalier wrote:

Though, on a related note, Boyd and me had the 'privilegue' of watching a fantasy film made during a Taupo medieval gathering last year and, OMGGG, it was horrendous!

I wonder how it compares with the 'making of' doco that we saw at the Wgtn Fringe Film Festival. One reviewer gave some very harsh (but true) feedback.
BigMac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:42 am      Reply with quote

Phil Berghan-Whyman wrote:
I did really enjoy Apocalypto, which as early 16th C almost falls in the medieval period (but just misses and the crowd goes ooooohhhh).

Well if you just go by time and not space then Seven Samauri has got to to be one of the best.

Black Knight and all the other Conneticut Yankee in King Arthers Court ripoffs for worst. Though at least martin lawrence was funny Whoopi Goldburg and trudi from the cosby show versions were just pathetic.

TTFN
Bigmac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:24 am      Reply with quote

And what about"Army of Darkness" for time travelling/horror/medieval/zombie cross over flicks? Medieval Chainsaw Massacre.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:50 am      Reply with quote

And for NonEuropean Nippo Ninja offerings:"Ran".
Does anyone else remember"Hearts and Armour"from the 1980s? Set in Muslim Spain it has a scEne thats very ala Sharon Stone! The Armour looked VERY tinny. Must have been left over from'Brother Sun, Sister Moon'.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:32 am      Reply with quote

Nathan wrote:
Nevsky does it for me. We may have lost but we did it with style (damn English)

Now I know that it is not medieval, but Cromwell (1970) with Richard Harris has got to be one of the greats in period films. Long live King Obe Wan Kenobi.

I think you may have your characters mixed up Nathan, Sir Alec Guiness was Obi Wan Kenobi, Sir Richard Harris was (Before he died) Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter 1 & 2), and before that Marcus Aurelius (Gladiator AKA "History we dont need no stinking history")

Rob I did enjoy the article on historical accuracy in film that was in the latest newsletter.

Oh BTW my Vote goes to "Ladyhawk" The final fight scene in the chapel made me want to learn stage fighting, and some the cinemaytography is stunningly gorgeous, or am I thinking of Michelle PFfiffififiereferevfe I cant spell her name but you know who i mean.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:09 pm      Reply with quote

Ladyhawk is a great movie but i am somewhat put off by the terrible 80's music throughout it. Sort of ruin's the medievalish theme to it really....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:57 pm      Reply with quote

Phil Berghan-Whyman wrote:
Thanks Callum,

Added A Knight's Tale for all the unhappy Ledger fans.

Also found out there is a limit of 20 options for a poll.

bollox! Its not there.. Rolling Eyes where's A Knights Tale on the list then?!

That's my favourite - but mainly because the only other one on the list that I've seen is Kingdom of Heaven and I was a wee bit drunk at the time so don't remember that much of it. Embarassed

Hang on, I did also see Braveheart years ago & I'm sure I watched Ivanhoe & Ladyhawke at some time but don't remember either very much.

Nope, gotta be A Knights Tale for me! Twisted Evil

Page 3 of 8

Jump to: