Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Where is your gear?
Proudly on display.
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
In the Shed on a stand or walls.
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
On the wall with all my other display weapons.
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
In a Chest or out of sight.
58%
 58%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 17

Brynnus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:14 pm     Sword and Armour Storage Reply with quote

Just wondering how do people store their gear?

Is your kit on display or just in the shed?

Who has all their weapons stored it a locked cabinet?

Do you store your metals with a silica pad or some other moisture control?

Do you have a Helmet stand?

Do you have an Armour stand?

My weapons and shield are all hanging on the wall in the shed (not ideal since that is where the dryer is)

I don't have a helmet stand will probably go for an armour stand.
Effigy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:50 pm      Reply with quote

I'm not a fighter...
However this brings to attention something we should all be aware of.
Recently Wayne needed to renew his firearms licence. At 52 he belongs to the generation of farm boys who all got their gun licences along with their drivers licences. Renewal involves a visit from the local constabulary to check weapons storage facilities. We comply in a domestic kind of way.
However our community cop was more than passingly interested in my long bow, Scott's bow and his (what I think of as play) swords. He stressed that displaying weapons such as ours places us at risk in the event of home invasion. Like the guns - bows need an out of general sight locked cabinet with arrows in a second locked cabinet best kept away from the bow. Display swords need some form of lock to fix them to the wall.
Well thats my 2c worth. Neutral
Kotek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:16 pm      Reply with quote

effigy wrote:
I'm not a fighter...
However this brings to attention something we should all be aware of.
Recently Wayne needed to renew his firearms licence. At 52 he belongs to the generation of farm boys who all got their gun licences along with their drivers licences. Renewal involves a visit from the local constabulary to check weapons storage facilities. We comply in a domestic kind of way.
However our community cop was more than passingly interested in my long bow, Scott's bow and his (what I think of as play) swords. He stressed that displaying weapons such as ours places us at risk in the event of home invasion. Like the guns - bows need an out of general sight locked cabinet with arrows in a second locked cabinet best kept away from the bow. Display swords need some form of lock to fix them to the wall.
Well thats my 2c worth. Neutral

...Really? That sounds like a itty bit of overkill.
Phil Berghan-Whyman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:31 pm      Reply with quote

Dayna and I have a large closet in our spare room. All our weapons and armour are stored in it, and it is padlocked shut. The key is easily accessible, but the idea is that it is child safe.
BigMac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:32 pm      Reply with quote

Um I don't see an option for boot of car or floor of room (Soft kit) or someone elses shed/workshop for that matter.

TTFN
Bigmac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:45 pm      Reply with quote

I have a two car garage that varies in depth from about 1-7 feet deep in "reenactment stuff"; the garage has never seen a car and likely never will. Very Happy

I keep my armour in a dive bag and I don't put wet stuff (like wet gambesons) away with my armour. I find dive bags, while not medieval, are ideal for transporting a suit of armour and various bits and pieces. I also use lots of wooden chests and some canvas sacks for transporting and storing stuff at events.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:22 am      Reply with quote

everywhere and any where
mostly mounted on te wall and in a cheast in the lounge
conal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:07 am      Reply with quote

Boer war era ammo box, is where the blades live.

Except for the long axes.

They live in an old missle crate in the garage.

Most dangerous item I own is a long handled shovel.

(Judging from the cut tests.)
Phil Berghan-Whyman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:45 am      Reply with quote

conal wrote:
Most dangerous item I own is a long handled shovel (judging from the cut tests).

I understand sharpened shovels were a close combat weapon of choice in WW1 and WW2. Not much different from a broad bladed axe.

Unfortunately case of trowels never really caught on.

conal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:29 pm      Reply with quote

Cheap As Games "Kill Doctor Lucky"

Don't quote me but I think there's a trowel...

I know a guy who got Lucky with the monkey hand.
Errol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:32 pm      Reply with quote

Phil Berghan-Whyman wrote:

I understand sharpened shovels were a close combat weapon of choice in WW1 and WW2.

And I just happen to have a photo of such use in a re-enactment...

Colin & Lynlee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:19 pm     weapons storage Reply with quote

All legislation is on line if you want to check out what you need to comply with. Listen to all advice but check original documentation before making personal choices on this matter.
We used to run a security business and there are a lot of swords on walls out there.
BigMac

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:41 am      Reply with quote

Phil Berghan-Whyman wrote:
conal wrote:
Most dangerous item I own is a long handled shovel (judging from the cut tests).

I understand sharpened shovels were a close combat weapon of choice in WW1 and WW2. Not much different from a broad bladed axe.

Unfortunately case of trowels never really caught on.

But don't the spetznaz train with throwing spade/entrenching tool?

TTFN
BigMac

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:44 am     Re: weapons storage Reply with quote

Colin & Lynlee wrote:
All legislation is on line if you want to check out what you need to comply with. Listen to all advice but check original documentation before making personal choices on this matter.
We used to run a security business and there are a lot of swords on walls out there.

IMO anyone who sticks around to rob a place with swords and axes on the walls deserves everything they get. There is dumb and then there is the termanly stupid.

TTFN
Bigmac

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:59 pm      Reply with quote

BigMac wrote:
But don't the spetznaz train with throwing spade/entrenching tool?

Supposeably they are masters at throwing sharpened entrenching tools in close quarter battle. But it is not unique to them. It was a common weapon in both WW1 and WW2 on both sides.

I keep parts of my armour and weapons on display and parts of it in a wooden chest.

We have a number of friends who are serving police officers and while they openly admire the gear that I have on display, none of them have commented on the risks of having them on display or ant requirement to have them stored away.

Order of the Boar Historical Foot Combat -
www.hapkido.org.nz/upperhutt.html
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: