Search

Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Culture and History
Middle Eastern Dancing (possibly at NAAMA)

Anyad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:40 am     Middle Eastern Dancing (possibly at NAAMA) Reply with quote

Okay, so somewhere in the middle of a 12 minute drum solo last Tuesday at my Middle Eastern Dancing class I had the crackpot idea that other people might be interested in what I was doing.

I have been studying Middle Eastern Dancing (aka Belly Dancing) with Huda Sabour in Wellington for about 7 years (except when I buggered off to have a baby, and when I left the country). So I have a very good knowledge of the simple and intermediate moves, and some experience in doing some more advanced stuff. Plus, for my birthday I have requested a belly dancing sword - will see if I can master balancing that on my head before NAAMA.

If anyone knows me, you will all remember that I am painfully shy of public dance performance, and I have only gotten up twice for the medieval crowd (with the aid of vodka). So, this is a bit of a rare thing for me.

What I am offering:
A dance class to go over the basics of middle eastern dancing. In a space away from crowds at NAAMA. No cost involved - I will bring a few belts/scarves, music, and my expertise. Open to both men and women, but the dance is mostly practiced by women so guys may feel a bit weird.

What I am looking for:
Is there some interest in doing this? I know that there are a few belly dancers out there - are you willing to teach some stuff too?

What I will need:
I have completely missed who is running NAAMA this year and where it will be - however, if the organisers have some space in the schedule I can pad a few hours (max of 2) per day.

What I am not offering:
A public performance. If I get drunk enough and it is dark enough, and there is more than just me, then I will consider joining in.

So ... who is up for learning some graceful hip moves at NAAMA?

*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*
Clare

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:49 pm      Reply with quote

I'm definately up for this.

I've been dancing for about 6 months with Monique Feron's dance classes in Auckland.

All bellydancers and teachers seem to do things slightly differently so I would love to come along to some classes at NAAMA and learn a few new things!
NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:03 pm      Reply with quote

I believe NAAMA is being hosted by the Red Ravens this year.
adrianf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:23 pm      Reply with quote

yeap the ravens are running NAAMA this year, so if you are keen to run a workshop, just PM me and we'll discuss how we can make it easy for you Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:05 am      Reply with quote

I'm keen Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:09 am      Reply with quote

Maureen ran a great class last year, if you want a cohort down there. Anytime you're up in Auckland come and join us for a dance
Anna
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: