6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
I'd rather run naked through Greenland.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 32

Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:22 pm     Taupo : The final thread… Reply with quote

(Warning, Long Post)

Happy New Year!!!

It’s the final run up to Taupo now and things are getting a little crunchy, so there are some things I really want people to know. All of this will be in the registration packs that I am mailing out next week to all registered groups, but just in case, I’ll put the guts of it here for everyone.

Firstly, cool stuff…
We have battles, jousting and horse events, single combats, archery, tournaments, heavy horse and cart rides, a market street, a fully themed site, a fireshow and bands. There will be a banquet on Sunday night, and event participants can purchase heavily discounted tickets. Plans are afoot for a siege warfare showdown and there will be a batch of cannon knocking around onsite somewhere. We’re looking at putting together a “through the ages” display of missile weaponry, and the hot-pools are free. J

Other Stuff…
1) This is NOT an “invitation only” event. If you want to come along and enjoy the festival, I want you there. Tell your friends, and anyone else who might be keen.

2) I am opening the site from Wednesday 23 January, to give those able to make it a little earlier the opportunity for a longer event with some private days before the crowds arrive.

3) There will be outdoor, big-screen showings of two films in Taupo town this year. There are also rumours of a bull-riding festival going down on the Friday night. With real Bulls.

4) Please register. I’ve got a goodly list of registrants so far, but there are a few folk who have enthusiastically said “ooh yes”, and not bothered to register. Please register. Registered groups will have space allotted on the site for their encampment and will get travel reimbursements. Un-registered groups who attend will have to be squeezed into the campsites somewhere (they are getting quite full) and will have fallen outside the budget for travel assistance. This goes double for those bringing big stuff with them. Please register.

5) Sideshows. If your group is into the idea of trying to make a little on the side, either in a market stall or sideshow, DO IT. Just please register for the event and tell me about it first. This year the site is being carefully planned, and I would like to give everybody who wants to trade the best chance that I can to reach a market. (see (2) above).

6) Demonstrations and Entertainments. Groups (or individuals) who are into performing a demonstration or providing some form of entertainment, please get in touch. I am trying to lock down the timetables now, and they are getting packed. I have three arenas, however, and am keen and able to give as many groups as possible time in the spotlight.
Demos should be focussed, rehearsed acts of no more than 15-20 mins duration.
If you’re into doing a combined gig with another group - last year’s Norse and Horse show leaps to mind - I really want to know now so that I can help it to happen. Norse? Are you listening? The Horses are still keen. Any other ideas? Anyone?

7) Evenings. We’re pretty open to improvisation in the evenings - it’s our time to play, after all. I’m bringing in some lights and I’ll illuminate either the fight ring or the gathering place. Is there anything folk especially want to do during this time? Workshops? Combined Trainings? Serious Drinking? Your time, you name it.

Cool Helping Hands. Anyone interested in helping keep the event rolling, please let me know. I’ll be delighted to find you something to do! We’re looking for folk to help with the kids, especially; as well as wardens for the melee combats, timekeepers, town criers and the like. If you’re keen, give me a shout.

9) Fire permits are sorted. You can cook in your camps or use the catering service onsite.

10) Archers, please bring both sharps and blunts.

11) Washroom facilities are available off-site at the local baths for $2-00. Five minute walk.

12) Codes of Conduct. I know most of this goes without saying, but I’m going to say it here anyway so that everyone knows.

a) Those not dressed up will be spectators. If you are onsite at this event as a participant, you must wear kit. If you wish to carry or wield a sword, you must wear kit. If you wish to take part in any aspect of the festival, you must wear kit. I am even making the Traders come in costume this year.
b) You must respect your fellow participants. If quarrels occur, sort them out nicely together, or I will have to do it. I don’t want to do that, so please make an effort.
c) We are making a big effort to dress the site up this year, so please try to keep modern contrivances out of sight. This is especially the case for the daytime while the public are onsite. At night we can relax the rules, but before the gates open, please make sure that your corner of the site is clean and reasonably historical in appearance. No vehicles are allowed onsite between 8.30am and 5.30pm. Authenticampers can park their cars in the plasticamp. Space will be provided.

Full lists of rules for combat and site conduct and safety will be mailed to club captains next week. This will be part of your event “passport”. The “passport” will contain information regarding your campsite location, what entertainments or services you are providing, competition entries, a breakdown of your travel reimbursement calculations and other relevant information. The “passport” will also contain a small shield for you to paint with your group colours or heraldry - not an exercise in artistic endeavour, but a signpost for your presence at the event.

I’ll be trying to contact everybody in the next week or so, but you can contact me direct on 021 953 318 or harrison.nic@gmail.com if you have any questions or just feel the need to talk. Or make a post here and we can thrash out anything in public.
Wishing you all a happy, safe and prosperous New Year; and looking forward to meeting everyone at Taupo in January.

Very Truly Yours,

Nic
(Freebooter and event organiser, Taupo 2008)

sitemap12B.jpg
 Description:
Illustrative site map.
 Filesize:  64.84 KB
 Viewed:  24595 Time(s)

sitemap12B.jpg

Grayson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:47 pm     Plasticamp Reply with quote

Just a query from us that have no period tent, where abouts is the Plasticamp going to be set up?

Really looking forward to Taupo!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:11 pm      Reply with quote

The plasticamp is at the north end of the site, just off the end of the map. There is access to the main site at the north eastern corner, so it isn't so far to stagger home at night.

N
stephan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:46 pm      Reply with quote

10% not interested
wow how could you not be Shocked
Silver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:35 pm      Reply with quote

I was very tempted to put a vote on "Id rather run through greenland naked"

Unfortutunatly there wont be any mead and beer at the "Thor's Horn" pub as we couldn't sort all the licences out but the pub will be set up and I will be trying to get some small mead made and apple juice for the public and reenactors can barter for "goods".

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:25 pm      Reply with quote

Have mead will bring... oooh I better send that other guys bottles tooo... buggah.
Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:23 pm     Foot Tourneys Reply with quote

Combatants!

In resopnse to a number of questions on the subject,

Yes, you will need to have looked at some fightbooks, and I recommend being able to adopt some guards from them, use your hands and feet together and be able to hit cleanly.

Fighters will need to look the part on the day. I recommend looking here for information:

http://www.aemma.org/library_960plus.html

Please remember you will need to make a declaration of historical influence on the day.

Ask any questions here, please.

Nic
Fungus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:51 pm     Hello Reply with quote

Ive skinnydipped in Loc Ness so running through Greenland naked(summer only) sounds a bit of a laugh.
Id do it but still go to Taupo Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:39 pm      Reply with quote

so let me get this right
you put your naked feet into loch ness
surely there are laws for that sort of thing, and did you ever consider poor nessy Razz
allfiredup

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:41 pm      Reply with quote

"Please remember you will need to make a declaration of historical influence on the day. "

what does this mean? What do I need to bring?

Do all re-enactors need it, even if they arnt fighting, archers?

Do our arrows need to be period? Do you have any we can use?

thanks

Justin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:58 pm      Reply with quote

allfiredup wrote:

I would assume if your doing archery or anything else it would be up to you to provide your own gear

did the band play the last post and chorus
did the pipes play the flowers of the forest
Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:03 pm     Re: Hello Reply with quote

Fungus wrote:
Ive skinnydipped in Loc Ness so running through Greenland naked(summer only) sounds a bit of a laugh.
Id do it but still go to Taupo Very Happy

Wow. Shocked I lived in Scotland for 11 years and never once was I tempted to jump into the Black Loch. (Que Boromir voice) "There are things in there which do not sleep..."

Glad you're still with us Darryl.

nic
Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:07 pm      Reply with quote

allfiredup wrote:
"Please remember you will need to make a declaration of historical influence on the day. "

what does this mean? What do I need to bring?

Do all re-enactors need it, even if they arnt fighting, archers?

thanks

Justin

Hi Justin,

Declaration is needed to me, not the world, and only before the Longsword or Sword and Buckler tourneys. Everything else is open as I can make it.

Your arrows can be as period as you like, we prefer no aluminium, and we won't be providing them. Please remember to bring both sharps and blunts. I understand that there are two kinds of blunt, bring both if you have 'em, but if we do go into field archery, only the slow ones will be allowed. If this changes, I will let you all know asap.

Cheers,

Nic
Fungus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:08 pm     Wode Reply with quote

I have also run on a NAAMA battle feild with just blue paint on and got bad sun burn in funny spiyril paterns all over
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:11 pm      Reply with quote

gt1cm2 wrote:
allfiredup wrote:

I would assume if your doing archery or anything else it would be up to you to provide your own gear

Correct,

You will need to provide your own kit, although I will be providing archery targets and I am trying to provide fencing masks, but at the moment the masks are sitting on a dockside in San Francisco going nowhere. Trying to sort that right now.
Please bring your own headgear.

And a sunhat.

Nic
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: