Search

Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Reenactment Combat
Some Russian's fighting with steel swords...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

gt1cm2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:16 pm      Reply with quote

From what I have been told by one of the Taupo guys (or ladies in this case) there is going to be some Polish archers at Taupo event they may be able to explain what rules they know.
did the band play the last post and chorus
did the pipes play the flowers of the forest
Stuart

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:03 pm      Reply with quote

-not to mention the Czechs & Hungarians..., or are they just a Slav to fashion ? ( ok, that`s enough puns for one evening ! )

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:27 pm      Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:
My disapproval of headblows does not extend to calling the Russians and Poles " thugs with swords" . I consider such remarks to be quite inappropiate.

Firstly I was only refuring to the first clip
Secondly I call them how I see them

Stuart wrote:

They are highly skilled warriors and deserve our respect.

Anyone who picks up a sword puts on armour and has a go has my respect but that only gets them so far.
There is no beauty or form to what they are doing just blunt force and maybe thats all there system calls for, and if so that is a shame

Stuart wrote:

-Again, your experience of European combat is what...?
Come on, we are waiting.

Do you mean fighting in europe or training in european styles?

TTFN
Bigmac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:43 pm      Reply with quote

We wouldn't want to take a dud czech!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:01 pm      Reply with quote

Gaius Drustanus wrote:
We wouldn't want to take a dud czech!

exactly thats good advice and if the Slavs get Hungary, the whole thing could go up the Pole.

( there is no such thing as too many Puns)

(or Huns for that matter)

(Naama did it)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:13 pm      Reply with quote

Thats the trouble with puns, you have one and then get Hungary for more ..!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:39 pm      Reply with quote

And if Russia attacked Turkey from the Rear, do you think Greece would help?
After all it is Saturnalia! Oops I mean Christmas. Beware Greeks that come bearing gifts. Oops sorry, NAAMA made me do it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:23 pm      Reply with quote

Romanoff ! - as the czar might have said....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:33 pm      Reply with quote

i wonder if they have a armour works kinda system that requires a right kinda shot to the right kinda place eg big smashing blow to chain or a reltive soild thrust {not that they wear chain } but you get the point

yeah they look like they are fighting and no one can can say that its not full force it ;looks a bit slopply but shit they are going at it
Damion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:15 pm      Reply with quote

Their fighting skills are variable, some have really bad footwork, some don't. One tripped over a body and decided that made him dead, another fell over after charging into the other side and over balancing. Those shots did not look that hard and many were rotated from the elbow only.

Kills seemed to be any shot that landed and might have bitten if real force had been applied. A lot of the shots started from the back (what someone reckoned was people carrying the swords on their shoulders), but there wasn't much in the way of force behind them from what I saw. There were no thrusts and no shots at the neck or side of the head.

Why that man was limping I have no idea, maybe he was injured in the fighting, maybe he pulled a muscle or twisted his knee; it's pointless speculating on that as we don't know.

They're not amazing, but they're making a good job of it and look better than we do in the main. Fighting wise I reckon most longer term naamarites would give them a run for their money provided the gear level was similar.
Damion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:45 pm      Reply with quote

Now these guys are manic, just as well they are using wooden sticks and not metal.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1DH-BmrVeaI&feature=related
Patch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:11 pm      Reply with quote

I think you will find that they are throwing very hard shots, about as hard as they are capable of, both in the first clips and the latest.
Isn’t it amazing the way that the guys in blue tabards come across very clearly as dishonourable unchivalrous cheaters.
BigMac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:22 am      Reply with quote

Damion wrote:
Their fighting skills are variable. A lot of the shots started from the back (what someone reckoned was people carrying the swords on their shoulders).

Shots starting from a guard/ward/starting posistion behind the head are a bad habit to fall into as the tend to be slower with little added force over using the high ward.
Not only do you risk fouling your sword but if you do any sort of formation work you are a danger to those behind you.
While this (I hesitate to call it a style) maybe period (I think I saw it somewhere but I am uncertin) it tends to mostly result from laziness and should be discouraged IMHO.

TTFN
Bigmac

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:36 am      Reply with quote

BigMac wrote:
Damion wrote:
Their fighting skills are variable. A lot of the shots started from the back (what someone reckoned was people carrying the swords on their shoulders).

Shots starting from a guard/ward/starting posistion behind the head are a bad habit to fall into as the tend to be slower with little added force over using the high ward.
Not only do you risk fouling your sword but if you do any sort of formation work you are a danger to those behind you.
While this (I hesitate to call it a style) maybe period (I think I saw it somewhere but I am uncertin) it tends to mostly result from laziness and should be discouraged IMHO.

TTFN
Bigmac

It certainly can seem slower than the Silver Open Fight or Marazzo Gaurda Alta, but that position was frequently used by gladiators, and earlier Greek sources illustrate soldiers using that position. Also, the sword can be dropped into a quick Tondo or Ridoppio faster than it can be from vertical open fight, so when using that position, an opponent cannot be sure where the attack it going to go. A bit of fancy footwork like a Demi-Volte can place the striker out of range of an opponent's sudden head-shot.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:18 pm      Reply with quote

Big Mac, they are not doing any sort of formation work though, and reading some of the observations by classical authors, the celts at least employed such strikes and also appear in ancient scupture doing just that.
We need some test cutting data to truly answer the point you made about blows from on high being similar to blows from the back.

Victorius, would it be possible to have some of those fencing terms in an english form for those of us who are unfamiliar with them?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Back to top Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: