musical instrumnet

stephan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:21 pm     musical instrumnet Reply with quote

can anyone make bone/horn recorder/picallo

stephan
NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:08 am      Reply with quote

Stephan - do you have plans for one that could be copied by someone with the right equipment?
stephan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:36 pm      Reply with quote

no but i have a picture of what i think is a sheeps leg bone made into a recorder would you need any more than this?

stephan
NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:18 am      Reply with quote

Possibly yes - I've never made an instrument before, but would be kinda interested to give it a go... however, a reasonable knowledge of how a wind instrument is supposed to work would probably help a lot.

I'd be interested to see the picture all the same. Can you post it here?
stephan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:07 pm      Reply with quote

its in a book but will bring it to taupo

i would love to give it a go as well rater tan have some one make it for me but would need instruction

stephan
NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:30 am      Reply with quote

In that case, I suggest you grab yourself a set of small bone files, a fret-saw or hack-saw and go to town. Since you have the picture to work from and bone is fairly cheap or free (you could even get the butcher to cut it to length for you. The worst part will probably be cleaning it. Tell the butcher what you want it for too, so they can give you a bone that will suit. I don't know if just any old bone will do.

Nigel
Bogue
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:50 pm     bone flute/pipe Reply with quote

And Nigel did so truely state
Quote:
In that case, I suggest you grab yourself a set of small bone files, a fret-saw or hack-saw and go to town. ....Snipped out.... The worst part will probably be cleaning it. Tell the butcher what you want it for too, so they can give you a bone that will suit. I don't know if just any old bone will do.

I'll start with the bone and work my way back.

The usual bones you get from the butcher are what are called canon bones and are suitable for most bone items by giving reasonable sized flats. What you may need is a middle leg bone (Shorter but skinnier).
What may be better is a deer lower leg bone, admittedly harder to get hold of but those I have seen are far better suited to your pupose.

Cleaning is just a matter of scraping and boiling. Cut the ends off to give you access to the inside but leaving enough of the length to give you the length of tube you need. You want your bone to be clean and as sterile enough for your own preferences but not stripped of all the fats to a point where it is totally porous and dry. If at all possible avoid chemicals, they strip out fats and totally kill a nice piece of bone. I've done it and was totally pissed at the result (threw it away in the end).

TOOLS. I'll start with the obvious. Tools are best when sharp (so that they will cut bone) Your flesh is a lot softer than the piece of bone you are working on. Never work towards your self, always away. Needle files are awesome and can, without any apparent effort whatsoever, bury themselves into your hand, but that's OK they don't hurt as much coming out as they did going in (files only cut going forward). Bone is porous to an extent when you are working it, blood is a very effective stain (been there done that, got scars to prove it). Toothpaste (The older gritty type) can often remove stains like blood. A good cleaner is steradent denture tablets, make up at double strength and soak for 12 - 24 hours. If stains won't come out you can cover them by staining the whole thing with tea.

One reason I have never tried making something like this is knowing the spacing of the holes for notes and getting something close to a scale. Good luck to ya
Will see if i can find some bone for ya if ya can't find any the right size.

Cheers
Bogue
Inigo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:59 pm     Re: bone flute/pipe Reply with quote

Bogue wrote:
One reason I have never tried making something like this is knowing the spacing of the holes for notes and getting something close to a scale.

http://www.cwo.com/~ph_kosel/flutomat.html

google is your friend

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:12 am      Reply with quote

fantastic

thanks
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: