Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Other Lifestyle
Extreme Medieval Arts and Sciences
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Inigo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:26 am     Extreme Medieval Arts and Sciences Reply with quote

We always seem to talk enough about whacking each other so I'm wondering what some of the more extreme medieval arts and sciences people get up to around here. Most of us do things like sew medieval costumes, make armour, trebuchets and all that stuff. What are some of the more unusual projects people have undertaken in the name of their hobbies? Breading bunnies for their fur? Smelting iron? Getting ribs removed so that corset can go just a bit tighter?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:36 am      Reply with quote

You mean quite aside from people going out and buying land so that they can build life-size trebuchets or a forge so that their nearest neighbours are miles away, or perhaps remodelling their house so that they can physically store all the encampment equipment they own, or basing their car-buying choice more on whether or not they can get a quarterstaff in it rather than trivia like comfort or fuel efficiency... or spending vast amounts of money on buying silks and linens that have been died using natural processes and look just right...

... you mean aside from all that? ...actually I can't think of anything at the moment Laughing

...no wait I can - last year (or was it earlier this year, I forget), we did go through a process of getting raw wool straight off the sheep / alpaca, hand spinning it, hand dying it with natural pigments harvested from garden plants, and then built several different looms to weave it.

Nigel
Chevalier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:31 pm      Reply with quote

Quote:
Breading bunnies for their fur?

A certain lady who does this comes to mind.

Quote:
Smelting iron?

A certain viking who does this comes to mind.

Quote:
Getting ribs removed so that corset can go just a bit tighter?

Erh, nope.

Does flinging yourself off a horse at high speed count as extreme when done in full battle gear?
Nathan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:46 pm      Reply with quote

Nigel,

Both my last car and current were bought on the following terms
1) Can it fit my weapons?, namely 2x 7foot spears
2) Will it fit the rest of my gear?
3) Can it get me there (where ever that is)?

If all above are positive then the other question is
4) can i fit anyone else in to ease the cost of petrol?

As to date I own a 1 to 2 seater station wagon Mr. Green

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:43 am      Reply with quote

NigelT wrote:
last year (or was it earlier this year, I forget), we did go through a process of getting raw wool straight off the sheep / alpaca
Nigel

I once imported a Gute fleece in the grease to New Zealand... Knowing that it would get stuck in MAF, I had got my seller to include all relevant information in the box. So when the phone rang, the conversation went like this:

"Hello, this is [John Smith] from the Ministry of Agriculture and Fishing. We have a box here addressed to you."
"Yes?"
"It contains raw wool."
"Ah, yes!"
"It contains wool, in the grease."
"Yes, that's right."
"You know that's not on?"
"Well, actually I looked it up, and because they don't have foot and mouth disease, I can import wool from Sweden if I declare it. I did declare it."
"Yes, but it's in the grease."
"I know. I read on the website..."
"YOU ARE IMPORTING WOOL TO NEW ZEALAND!?!"
"Ah. Yes. Uhm. It's a special breed. I'm a spinner."
"Oh. Well, we'll have to fumigate it, you know."
"I know."
"It will cost money."
"Yes. How much?"
"Uhm. $8.50 including freight."
"Ah. OK. Who do I make a cheque out to and where do I send it?"

The Gute sheep is essentially unchanged since the iron age, and after some frustrating attempts to weave a _fine_ viking era fabric on the warp weighted loom and having the <1mm single-ply warp break all the time
I decided to go back to the wool actually available to the viking era women. As an aside, the Gotland sheep is bread out of the Gute as a pelt sheep in the last 100 years, to try to provide a now-impoverished area with a new industry. It's been quite successful, but the people who claim Gotland is an 'ancient breed' are smoking crack.

/maggie
NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:48 am      Reply with quote

Maggie, were you successful with the Gute wool? Was there enough of a difference that you could spin <1mm threads and have them stay together while weaving?
Kotek

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:59 am      Reply with quote

I made around 200 little pies because I wanted an event to be a little fancier... Very Happy
mmy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:40 pm      Reply with quote

NigelT wrote:
Maggie, were you successful with the Gute wool? Was there enough of a difference that you could spin <1mm threads and have them stay together while weaving?

oh yes, it was very successful.

Gute is one of those fleeces that have wool and kemp. If you sort out all the kemp you end up with something that looks and feel remarkably like cobwebs, and while the fibers seem smooth they stuck together incredibly well. Did the job very well indeed when we wove up a sample on the warp weighted loom. Adding the kemp to the warp, which was one of the things that the Norse did, gives you something incredibly strong.

So there ya go - it works if you use the same materials!
White Knight

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:44 pm      Reply with quote

I guess I must be a medieval obsessive too.
I bought my car a 4wd thinking that it would be good to put all my gear in and it had a roof rack which would be good for carrying weapons on and timber for making stuff used for my hobby.

I bought both my last place and my present place because one had a shed and the other had a garage and a shed which I could turn into a workshop. Both of them had enough space to make things for my hobby outside.
I could never live in an apartment because they don't have any space, no backyard. I would go NUTS!!!

Some people think that I am nuts for what I do but I think that they are nuts because all they do is sit around watching TV. Boring!!!
Most people think that my hobby is interesting and I have had many interesting conversations.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:47 pm      Reply with quote

Quote "Gute is one of those fleeces that have wool and kemp"

what is kemp?
Carl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:45 pm      Reply with quote

Ah guys i really think maggie wins here, she imported wool into a country that has over 45 million sheep, simply because she wanted to make a tunic out of the same wool that the Vikings used.

Maggie you are a Goddess and I bow to you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:01 pm      Reply with quote

i would have to agree with carl
/me bows......
ooops there shows my gaming nature Razz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:56 pm      Reply with quote

Quote:
Maggie you are a Goddess

And here I was wondering why she is so brilliant... *bows to the goddess too*
Effigy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:21 pm      Reply with quote

Well,
Chevalier I hope you appreciate this Wink
I've just finished tieing off a steer's head in my creek. Collected it from the local home-kill butcher, special order on account of it's very fine horns. A head without a body is a very accusing thing. I brought it home in the back of the car, and arranged with a friend to help get it down to the most eel infested part of the creek. Yay for 4wheel drive! It is now secured inside a 44 gall drum so eels can clean it and diving dogs can't hold their breath long enough to steal it. 6 weeks and it will be ready. I have a possible use for the top of the skull, but if there's anyone wants the jaws or anything thats left.....?
Living history, its a lovely hobby Twisted Evil
Victorius

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:39 pm      Reply with quote

Conversely, there's times when re-enactment/living archaeology/WMA comes in handy: we've just stripped all the wallpaper in our lounge and found that the plastering over the gib joins may not have had tape put in place first. This tape is to stop the plaster cracking in event of slight movement, which you get in wooden-framed houses. That's not a problem if you're just wallpapering over it, but we're planning on painting. Our normal options (if we were normal people that is) would be to (a) take a chance, leave it and paint and hope for the best, but then run the risk of vertical lines cracking all the way down the walls in 6- different places, requiring a repair job (see (b)) and a total repaint. Or (b) sand back all the plaster and tape the gib joins, then re-plaster over the top, and then paint.
But what we're going to do instead is leave it and paint and hope for the best. However, if vertical lines do indeed crack all the way down the walls in 6-8 different places, we'll simply sand back all the plaster and tape the gib joins, then re-plaster over the top. But instead of having to do a total repant, we'll paint false pillars, doorways and windows to outdoor Italian rural scenes over the cracks. Just like the Pompeiin wall-paintings.

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: