Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Textiles, Garb and Jewelery
canvas mould

Annalee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:42 pm     canvas mould Reply with quote

just wondering if anyone has sugestions on how to stop canvas from going mouldy and best (preferably natural) ways to get rid of mould once its there
amuckart

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:40 pm      Reply with quote

Unless you're using treated canvas the only way to stop it getting mouldy is to make sure it never, ever, gets stored or put in a place with restricted airflow when it is anything other than completely dry.

Once there is mold there the only way I know of to shift it is with bleach - exit mould is just a bleach solution. You don't need more than a 3-5% concentration but it will bleach out colored fabrics.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:47 pm     Re: canvas mould Reply with quote

Annalee wrote:
just wondering if anyone has sugestions on how to stop canvas from going mouldy and best (preferably natural) ways to get rid of mould once its there

Sorry to say ... but 30+ years working with fabrics professionally says black mould is there forever. Exit mould will lighten it, but it will also rot your cloth. Best you learn to love the stains. A grans remedy for lightening them is lemon juice or vinegar, but again the acid will shorten the lifespan of the canvas.
In future, never, ever, put canvas away damp. (or any cloth for that matter)
Anne
Annalee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:38 pm      Reply with quote

hi anne
i found some of the blue woolen fabric at ikes emproium. i'm just about to start making a tipi out of it. do you know if that fabric will resist mould well?
i thought as much about the canvas, that there was nothing i could do about it. it was good to get a second opinion though.
thanks.
Effigy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:47 pm      Reply with quote

Annalee wrote:
i found some of the blue woolen fabric at ikes emproium. i'm just about to start making a tipi out of it. do you know if that fabric will resist mould well?

Short answer -No I don't know.
Prevention is better than cure. Always dry your tent thoroughly before you store it. I like to leave mine up as long as possible while I pack the car so that it has maximum drying. I hang it up at home to be absolutely certain. If you do have to take it home wet, make it a priority to get it dry.
With the wool, I put mothballs in the bag and store it off the ground. I've become aware that that the blowflies adore it! So a cloth bag of some sort is essential to keep them off and the camphor seems to repel them too. We live on a farm and I stored the geteld in an outside shed over winter, it was fine but for a furry rodent made a hole in the bag, no damage to tent though. (I think the wool attracts wee creatures more than canvas so you will need to be more careful with storage)
There were some issues with sewing the wool too. Its quite mobile over the long seams so you will need strike lines to be certain its not walkingas you sew. But thats another topic. If you've got questions dont hesitate to ask. Wink
BTW How much did Ikes have? I wouldn't mind getting a but more so I can do some modifications.
Smiles
Anne
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: