Search

Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Reenactment Combat
What is the nastiest injury you've witnessed...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Inigo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:34 am     What is the nastiest injury you've witnessed... Reply with quote

...doing your particular flavour of combat?

And, what did your group do as a result of this happening?

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I'll start the ball rolling.

The worst injury I've witnessed in 11 years of SCA combat is a bad concussion. It was caused by a combination of:
- insufficient / worn out padding in helmet
- people hitting too hard
The injury was bad enough that the fighter involved has been unable to continue fighting even after a break of two years.

After it happened, we inspected all the group helmets to ensure they they were constructed and padded in compliance with the rules and found about 20-25% needed some maintenance. We now regularly inspect helmets while off the head to ensure rule compliance and discard helmets deemed unfit.

By general consensus, we also dropped the level of power used, though this has probably risen to the level it was when the injury occured.

Alas, no blood in my story. I'm sure there will be some in later stories Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:56 am      Reply with quote

Had a blunt sword put into my forearm at AS&S training a few years ago. An burr on the blade cut through my vambrace, the blade went most off the way through my arm. What did we do, disinfect, tape up and keep training....ah those were the days Mr. Green . Later stiches and a tetanus shot, very painful Shocked More careful examination of blades was instituted, a file and abrasive paper were always available, the issue never arose again.
Phil
Stuart

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:14 am      Reply with quote

Concussion. Caused by sword head blow on helm. Isle of Man 1979.
Concussion. Caused by sword head blow on helm. Battle practice 1982.
Fractured skull. Caused by war hammer strike on great helm. Battle of Mortimers Cross 1987.
Severe eye injury & power burns. Cannon discharge at close range. Battle of Teskesbury 1987.
Fractured fingers. Various dates. Warriors not using armoured gloves.
Battle of Hasting walk-through rehersal. 1984. One neck injury, several head injuries & black eyes. Moral: Allways do the rehersal in armour & helms...

Worst injury to pride. An overdressed calivery officer blown off horse by cannon firing a "soft center" - thats a wad of cowshit. The guncrew were quite useless from laughting for at least half an hour afterwards !
English civil war group, about 1980, as I recall.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:47 am      Reply with quote

quote stuart
Worst injury to pride. An overdressed calivery officer blown off horse by cannon firing a "soft center" - thats a wad of cowshit. The guncrew were quite useless from laughting for at least half an hour afterwards !
English civil war group, about 1980, as I recall.[/quote]

in all seriousness
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
stephan
BigMac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:01 pm      Reply with quote

The nastiest I have recieved would be when the tendon in the ring finger of my right hand was severed while sparring.

I made a corkscrew lunge and the girls parry caught my hand at which point she said she wanted to take a break although I was keen to kkep fighting. It wasn't until she noticed the hole in my glove (thin leather) and the blood that I realised it wasn't just another cracked knuckle or bruised bone.

Result was microsurgery the next day and six weeks rehab before I could pick up a weapon again.

I have also had a knife stabbed into my left palm (I wasn't paying attention) and the ligiments torn of my left foot (tripped over a stack of pallets while running backwards as 3 people chrged down my spear).

TTFN
Bigmac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:53 pm      Reply with quote

is this the nastiest injury we, ourselves have suffered....(Sword point into right eye through glasses, displaced cornea, fractured orbital bone, several scratches on the lens, had to wear a eye patch for six weeks)

or the worst we have ever seen happen to someone else....(fractured forearm, person dropped thier guard too low and thier partner did not pull thier shot in time to correct it.)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:03 pm      Reply with quote

I was asking what the worst injury you'd seen was.

BUT, I was also asking what your group had done to try and avoid a similar situation happening again.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:21 pm      Reply with quote

X)

Last edited by Chevalier on Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chevalier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:22 pm      Reply with quote

Quote:
I was also asking

Good luck Wink

Seriously, I expect more "I show you mine [scar]"... good ol' Lethal Weapon. About time they do a medieval version too...
Carl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:29 pm      Reply with quote

Inigo wrote:
I was asking what the worst injury you'd seen was.

BUT, I was also asking what your group had done to try and avoid a similar situation happening again.

Ok.... the fractured forearm one then, what we did to prevent it was to ban the person responsible from fighting juniors until he showed an improvement in his control.

let me just say though that this incident happened during a display fight not sparring.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:41 pm      Reply with quote

I think they included all follow up procedures...

Jeez, these people and their inability to parry and/or fight vaguely safely Laughing Jokes peeps... maybe I've just been lucky.

The worst I've seen was when Joe (100lbs) attempted to shield barge BigMac (more than 100lbs), whereupon BigMac put his hand out. The Shield stopped moving, Joe did not. His nose burst into a fountain of blood which sprayed at least 3 feet into the air (seriously).

He then spontaneously collapsed and the crowd of children laughed and applauded. The parents questioned whether that was supposed to happen to which we replied, "Of course, quickly now, get Sir Joe to the Knights of Saint John."

Our follow up to that was to never charge BigMac with a shield again.

My worst was getting my middle-right-top-most-finger-bone smashed into about a thousand tiny pieces after blocking a crossover quarterstaff strike (it was a spear actually) with the handle of a claymore - with my finger between the two weapons.

The triage unit on site did the worst stitching job and I went to an A+E 3 days later after the bleeding still hadn't stopped... although I'm sure the alcohol in my system had seriously thinned my blood (it was New Years 2000).

The follow up to this was that three months later on my 21st bitthday I got chain gloves - cheers Anna for making those.

Oh and I learned how to block. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:22 am      Reply with quote

Quote:
My worst was getting my middle-right-top-most-finger-bone smashed into about a thousand tiny pieces after blocking a crossover quarterstaff strike (it was a spear actually) with the handle of a claymore - with my finger between the two weapons.
The follow up to this was that three months later on my 21st bitthday I got chain gloves - cheers Anna for making those.
Oh and I learned how to block

We also became somewhat more leery of allowing ourselves to be talked into fighting in the near pitch black on a rainy evening in the middle of 20 thousand people on a raised platform of plywood that had been left out in the winter for months and was so slippery with a sort of greenish slime that we literally skied down the ramp section, in fact as I recall it was so dark that it was rather like fighting a shadow puppet silhouette. I did not know that I had blown Joel’s finger into a billion pieces on the first strike of the fight until after the show, massive credit to him; we finished the fight, but if you ever have the opportunity to participate in this kind of action yourself, well you will want to be a little more creative in how you go about keeping your partner in one piece. Kick ass show though.
Bogue
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:58 am     nasty injuries Reply with quote

The weird thing about this is that the nastiest injuries I have seen or seen the results of have not been combat injuries.

Jules arm at 2003 (thrown from mechanical (Dragon powered) bull.
Remedy:- Dunno, faeces occurs.

Owens face at 2006 (tripped in dark, severe cut near eye socket resulting in stitches. Wanganui Hospital around 1.30 -2.00AM).
Remedy:
Make sure someone available (sober/ awake) to either take or return people to hospital at all hours.

Again the potential has always been greater than the actual (Let's Keep It That Way).

Cheers
Bogue
Carl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:28 pm      Reply with quote

Patch wrote:
Quote:
Oh and I learned how to block

We also became somewhat more leery of allowing ourselves to be talked into fighting in the near pitch black on a rainy evening in the middle of 20 thousand people on a raised platform of plywood that had been left out in the winter for months and was so slippery with a sort of greenish slime that we literally skied down the ramp section, in fact as I recall it was so dark that it was rather like fighting a shadow puppet silhouette. I did not know that I had blown Joel’s finger into a billion pieces on the first strike of the fight until after the show, massive credit to him; we finished the fight, but if you ever have the opportunity to participate in this kind of action yourself, well you will want to be a little more creative in how you go about keeping your partner in one piece. Kick ass show though.

Ahhhh Memories.....oh look itis time for my therapy session Mr. Green

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:27 pm      Reply with quote

The there was the 3rd North south war where gyln had his thumb smashed so badly through chain gloves that he needed five steel plates surgically implanted to hold it together. He was a chief by the way.

What did the club do?

Reccomended to our members to stop fighting the Norse especially the one member who had done it and had already been involved in other incidents that day. Informed the event organisers though I don't know of (if) any action was taken.

TTFN
Bigmac

Page 1 of 3

Jump to: