Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Reenactment Combat
More on headblow combat...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:36 am      Reply with quote

Hi Stephen,

I think Derek is talking about non-NAAMA head blow combat. I am talking about one-on-one competitive combat using the whole body, or most of the whole body as a target using rules that I developed earlier this year in association with Nic from the Dawn Reivers which I think are also being used at Taupo next year although those may have since been modified for that event.

e.g. I am not talking about mass inter-club combat which NAAMA rules already cater for well. So I'm not trying to take over NAAMA, change the world, or do anything sinister like that Very Happy

In addition to the head gear above I would also be looking at a minimum full body armour standard. This would include rigid protection for the joints and at least mail and padding elsewhere.

Hope this helps.

Order of the Boar Historical Foot Combat -
www.hapkido.org.nz/upperhutt.html
NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:41 am      Reply with quote

With regard to visors - if you're interested in using this helmet with NAAMA heavy missile combat you'll need a 1.6mm (min) thick visor with 5mm (max) diameter holes in it. If it's not too far from your original design it might be worth considering as it'll expand what you can use it for.

Nigel
Víkarr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:48 am      Reply with quote

About 3 years ago I brought a bascinet off Derek and made a hounskull visor for it based off the same early great bascinet as the helm Callum posted (image attached). The occular were grilled so I could use it for metal weapon WMA but I ended up cutting open the occulars as I found I was too much vision impaired and could not properly see where I was striking. Unfortunately I cant use it for WMA now and I consider my fencing mask mesh too weak for delivering a decent strike with a metal weapon but Colin showed me some samples of wire mesh he got hold of some time ago, one of which could be well suited for the type of combat discussed here. Perforated and grilled plate unfortunately really hinders visibility (at least for me anyway) and this mesh appeared very strong (and a bit expensive I believe).

V.

french-34-cl-066grtbascinet.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.41 KB
 Viewed:  17102 Time(s)

french-34-cl-066grtbascinet.jpg

Last edited by Víkarr on Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Inigo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:44 pm      Reply with quote

If people are wanting to produce a number of helmets suitable for head blow combat they could do worse than to do this:

1. Get 6 bascinets from India, something like IR80677 in 2mm steel from here:

http://www.nautical-mart.com/medieval-helmet.html

These cost about $120-140 landed in NZ each if you buy a box of 6

2. Build your own visors using my simple tutorial:

http://ildhafn.sca.org.nz/tutorials/visor.htm

3. Add padding, chin strap, mail aventails and stainless mesh behind the visor

While you're at it, make a breastplate:

http://ildhafn.sca.org.nz/tutorials/breastplate.htm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:51 pm      Reply with quote

Víkarr wrote:
...but Colin showed me some samples of wire mesh he got hold of some time ago, one of which could be well suited for the type of combat discussed here.

Not really. It requires a press and molds to shape it which means it is the realms of commercial process (ie., mass manufacturing). Building individual helms for re-enactors isn't worth my time or interest.

See http://www.swordsmanship.co.nz/
Gerard Kraay

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:00 pm      Reply with quote

Inigo

These three look good, did you pick any one in particular to buy?

IR80643 - http://www.nautical-mart.com/gladiator-helmet.html
IR80613 - http://www.nautical-mart.com/european-knight-helmet.html
IR80677 - http://www.nautical-mart.com/medieval-helmet.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:03 pm      Reply with quote

We got 12 of these:
IR80677 - http://www.nautical-mart.com/medieval-helmet.html

6 medium and 6 large - in 2mm mild steel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:30 pm     Re: More on headblow combat... Reply with quote

Inigo wrote:
I would like to discuss what people would feel is a good minimum standard for helms to be used in head blow combat that includes horizontal chops and face thrusts. Assume that the intended power would be about the same as the current NAAMA combat but that we want to protect against uncontrolled blows as well.

It may also be worth covering things like weapon weights and tip diameters, so we know what we're aiming at protecting against.

Could the nay-sayers please just not bother posting.

hey callum i tink you have miss read me i am aware that what is being disscussed is non naama, but inigo says specficly that power of blows intended is equal to that being used at naama

regards stephan
stephan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:32 pm      Reply with quote

[quote="Callum"]Hi Stephen,

e.g. I am not talking about mass inter-club combat which NAAMA rules already cater for well. So I'm not trying to take over NAAMA, change the world, or do anything sinister like that Very Happy

its amazing how many people think people are trying to do this Rolling Eyes

regards
stephan
Inigo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:09 am     Taupo - more on head blow combat... Reply with quote

Are there any people going to Taupo who would like to armour up and do some reasonably vigorous head blow combat? I realise that we have three head blow tournaments, but these are still very lightly armoured and none of these tournaments has the whole head as a target.

I'm thinking:
- matched weapons
- head to ankle to fingertips in steel (plate or mail)
- cuts, thrusts and grappling
- we can probably leave some of the hard to armour spots with just padding (inside elbows, back of knees etc)
- fight until one or the other fighter has had enough

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:34 pm      Reply with quote

Damn shame i don't have my full plate suit done yet, otherwise i'd say yes Sad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:08 am      Reply with quote

I may be able to supplement what you have, what do you need?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:11 am      Reply with quote

I am in the same boat as Grayson, only worse, I have almost nothing in terms of armour for what you are intending, but if I can borrow stuff I would be keen on giving it a bash (so to speak)
Inigo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:45 am      Reply with quote

Okay, I will bring some spare armour with me. I have a couple of suitable helmets and some reasonably sturdy body and arm armour. The area I'm lacking in is hand protection. While I have spare groin protection, I suggest you may wish to provide your own. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:51 am      Reply with quote

hey,

Gorgets?

ta,

conal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Back to top Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: