Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Reenactment Combat
More on headblow combat...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Inigo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:18 pm     More on headblow combat... Reply with quote

I would like to discuss what people would feel is a good minimum standard for helms to be used in head blow combat that includes horizontal chops and face thrusts. Assume that the intended power would be about the same as the current NAAMA combat but that we want to protect against uncontrolled blows as well.

It may also be worth covering things like weapon weights and tip diameters, so we know what we're aiming at protecting against.

Could the nay-sayers please just not bother posting.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:58 pm      Reply with quote

Here is a photo of one of two helmets that we had especially made for head blow combat:

It is made from 2mm steel all around and will have a leather adjutable suspension lining as it is intended as a club helmet then for exclusive use by any one person. These people would also provide their own personal padded coifs or arming caps.

If it was for exclusive use I would use a padded liner (25mm) stuffed with horse or cow hair as per the method in Brian Price's book on 14th century armour reproduction.

From my own experiences in taking many accidental full and partial hits to the head in the joust, a 25mm thick liner padded with horsehair provides good protection. As it is unlikely that impacts from vertical, horizontal and thrusts from ground combat would be greater than those received in the joust, I think that a 2mm full head helmet with animal hair padding would be sufficient to provide a safe level of protection for what you have in mind.

Order of the Boar Historical Foot Combat -
www.hapkido.org.nz/upperhutt.html

Last edited by Callum on Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Stuart

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:00 pm      Reply with quote

err, what weapon are we using on this ideal helm..?

Steel, ratan, Shini or hard-wood staff weapon ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:39 pm      Reply with quote

Here is what I'll be using. 2mm mild steel bascinet with 1.6mm mild steel visor. Padded with 15mm closed cell foam lined with linen and held in place with a sturdy chin strap.

I also have a piece of stainless steel mesh that goes between the bascinet and the visor (not fitted). It's held in place like it's in a vice and it has no gaps bigger than 5mm. It;s painted black and is almost invisible.

The mail aventail is butted spring steel and it has a catch at center front that hooks it to the bottom of the visor. This holds it out from the throat and reduces the risk of a rising thrust coming inside the visor.

Under the aventail I wear a 4mm cuirboilli gorget backed with 20mm closed cell foam.

The only thing I wouldn't want to do in this helmet is go swimming.

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:01 am      Reply with quote

Both of those look great!
We're thinking of something like this, a gladiator helmet of the Provocator grade. It would probably require minimum 2mm for the bowl, less for the visor, but 2-3mm for the eye plates.

provocator_helmet4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.4 KB
 Viewed:  25108 Time(s)

provocator_helmet4.jpg

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:05 am      Reply with quote

Forgot to add: probably want the eye-holes and other gaps closed up, no more than 9mm, possibly 8mm to prevent NAAMA 10mm blade tips.
Not sure what would be required for SCA, would be handy if it could be used for both fighting codes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:52 am      Reply with quote

SCA requirements are that there are no holes able to admit a 1" (25.4mm) dowel.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:00 am      Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:
err, what weapon are we using on this ideal helm..?

Steel, ratan, Shini or hard-wood staff weapon ?

Firstly I never said it was ideal, just that in my opinion that it is sufficient for what Derek has in mind.

Secondly it is designed for steel so should also cope with any of the other weapons you mentioned.

Inigo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:36 am      Reply with quote

Callum, this is pretty much exactly the type of helmet I think people should be looking at for head blow combat. It's a very nice piece of work. I think you'd have to be trying pretty hard to hurt someone wearing this. I'd consider fitting a ring to the bottom of the throat plate so it could be buckled down to a breastplate or brigindine, to reduce the chance of a point sliding up into the throat.

From the description, it sounds SCA legal (assuming it has a chin strap) and the other grill you have for mounted club combat would make you fit right in Wink

When I do SCA combat, my head is the best armoured part of my body and I prefer a head strike over any other part of the body, because it hurts less than anywhere else. With a good helm, even a solid face thrust that knocks the head backwards is actually not particularly unpleasent. I'd assume this would be much the same for all these helms with weapons acceptable for NAAMA combat.

Vicktor, you can get some nice gladiator helms from India in boxes of 6. The prices are pretty good and the SCA in Auckland has just ordered a dozen 2mm thick bascinets. They should cost around $120-140 landed in NZ. I'm not sure of the exact cost of the gladiator helmets but if you do get some, specify 2mm steel for the skull part of the helm. I'll take at least one of them Smile

http://www.nautical-mart.com/gladiator-helmet.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:52 am      Reply with quote

Inigo wrote:
Callum, this is pretty much exactly the type of helmet I think people should be looking at for head blow combat. It's a very nice piece of work. I think you'd have to be trying pretty hard to hurt someone wearing this. I'd consider fitting a ring to the bottom of the throat plate so it could be buckled down to a breastplate or brigindine, to reduce the chance of a point sliding up into the throat.

It is a very nice helmet and I'm considering getting a slightly larger one made for myself personally. Not shown in the photo is a catch we added later to stop the visor popping open and the ring for the base of the throat piece is a good idea.

Just to demonstrate how good this helmet is, during the Harcourt Park 2007 jousts, Rod Walker decided to wear it instead of his 15th century sallet and bevor which I consider to be a ridiculously unsafe helmet for the joust. Rod got thrown head first into the ground at speed when his horse stopped dead in the lists and because the ground was wet, he got stuck in the ground rather than bouncing. Despite a stiff neck and partially dislocated shoulder, he was unhurt. Had he been wearing anything else he would most likely have broken his neck. So yes, I would agree that it would be unlikely that you would get badly hurt in any form of re-enactment combat using this helm.

Inigo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:57 am      Reply with quote

Callum wrote:
...got thrown head first into the ground at speed when his horse stopped dead in the lists and because the ground was wet, he got stuck in the ground rather than bouncing...

And people still worry about horizontal head shots Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:02 am      Reply with quote

just so i know what they are can i have a simple list from one of you with what you think are the nassary specfics on a helm for this kind of combat also if the helm needs to cover the neck or can a gorget be worn under coif/avantail so long as no large gaps are visiable

also do you intend people to wear other armour while fighting or like naama will gloves and a suitable helm be all that is required

i think this idea is cool and would certinaly give it a go
conal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:05 am      Reply with quote

Derek,

How does making you more safe keep the other guy safe?

Whats the visibility like in these cans?

Got the Greaves and vambraces... thanks.

conal.
stephan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:17 am      Reply with quote

i hope thge same thing that keeps people safe on other feilds of battle
training and a understanding of the rules
adding the head as a target makes a combat no more dangerous than normal it just gives one more target
provided that everyone follows the rules and think headblow=smash fest
derek did state that the combat he is talking about is simmilar to naama stuff but just allowing the head has a target as well

i know the question was adressed to derek but im online and want to add my 1cent
regards stephan
Inigo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:36 am      Reply with quote

conal wrote:
Derek, How does making you more safe keep the other guy safe?

I'm not interested in just my safety. I think that if you're looking at doing head blow combat with a full range of blows then everyone who wants to participate need to wear helms like this. I don't suggest that this becomes the norm for NAAMA and I doubt that more than 10% of the people that do NAAMA would be interested in this style of combat.

This is only ever going to attract a fraction of the people that normal NAAMA combat does and I don't suggest people retrofit mesh to existing helmets. To do this safely, I would expect people to use helmets specifically built for the task. This may mean spending a bit of money, but when you compare the cost to a set of new tires for the car, it's not really that much Smile

conal wrote:
Whats the visibility like in these cans?

Shocking. Really, really bad Very Happy

I find I prefer to fight with longer weapons when I wear my klapvisor because once people get closer than about 2m I can't see what their feet are doing.

conal wrote:
Got the Greaves and vambraces... thanks.

Hope you like them. They're actually getting pretty popular and I've lost track of how many are now in circulation. I'd suggest naming them if you go to NAAMA as there will probably by 20 identical sets there.

Page 1 of 3

Jump to: