Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Archery
Combat archery arrows for sale
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Black Jack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:13 pm      Reply with quote

Hi Nigel. Could you clarify something for me regarding the arrow rules please. You state the shaft must be 5/16 ( 8mm) dia., but the ones you are selling are 11/32 ( which is aprox. 9mm ). I'm not trying to be pedantic, but I don't want to buy the wrong shaft, and these are two different sizes. Is the 8mm a minimum size requirement? The other thing is, what tape do you use? Is it readily availible? I haven't seen any in the local hardware stores. Oh, and the other- other thing: is it OK to use self-nocks rather than plastic glue-ons?
Regards. BJ

Ps: just built a bow out of a rattan stave. Works well and looks the part. Could be the answer for impoverished would -be archers!
NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:54 pm      Reply with quote

Hi BlackJack,

I've just had the ruler out and it would appear that you're right - the shafts I'm using are 8.7mm in diameter. Not entirely sure how that happened, they were sold to me as 8mm shafts and I never double checked. They're close enough to get the same nocks on no problems.

Anyway, the point of the 8mm specification was not to be over the top about enforcing precise measurements. The point is to give people a general idea of what is a reasonable shaft to use. 9mm is also fine. 10mm is getting a little heavy and starts adding to the impact weight of the arrow. That said, a lot of people are making 10mm crossbow bolts - they are half the length though and don't have the same weight.

We won't be measuring the diameter of your arrows. The only thing we will be measuring is the draw weight of your bow. This will be done on a calibrated spring scale with a small margin for error built in.

If you haven't measured your new bow it's important that you're sure it's 30lb or less if you intent to participate in heavy combat archery. If you're only competing in light combat archery it doesn't matter, there is no weight restriction.

Self nocks are fine. I don't actually care what your arrows look like as long as it behaves like a flu-flu and slows the arrow down faster than a target arrow - the arrow construction mentioned in the rules are a recommendation only, provided they are no longer than 28inches, behave like a flu-flu, have an acceptable blunt, and aren't too heavy we're happy.

The tape is clear fibre-reinforced tape with white fibres through it in either a cross-hatch pattern or parallel stripes pattern. You'll know it when you see it. It's a little hard to find in Wellington as well. I get mine from OfficeMax. I'm assuming you have one of those in Auckland as well. Otherwise let me know and I can courier some up to you. It works out about $0.50 to $0.70 per arrow, but it very good stuff.

Hope that helps,
Nigel

Last edited by NigelT on Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Black Jack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:30 pm      Reply with quote

Hi Nigel, thanks for the quick reply. That info is very useful. I won't be at NAAMA this year,as I said, I'm still on the periphery, but hope to take part in local events as I get to know people. The bow I mentioned is too heavy for close-quarter combat at 40lbs, but I'll make sure the next one will qualify . All the best with your arrow making!

Regards BJ
ann dugmore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:46 pm      Reply with quote

Hi Nigel! I was just looking for some blunts for Taupo in January - can I order a dozen please! I'll customise them myself so any will be great:-

Ann Dugmore' 5 Mill Road, Whangarei 09.4377257, cell - 0274102074. Best to text me as I'm working away from 'home' at the moment.

12 x for January 2009.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:10 pm      Reply with quote

Hi Ann,

I'm not currently making arrows for sale sorry. I can however sell you the shafts and rubber tips for them if you would like to make them yourself.

There is another chap making arrows and longbows that I believe would be willing to make you some arrows:

Oscar Maisel
07 871 8283 or 021 1051225
email coldhearted_ozzee@hotmail.com

He's not on this forum and I don't think he's a reenactor, but what I've heard his prices are very good. ChrisHC has purchased both arrows and a bow off him if you need a reference.

Nigel
ann dugmore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:35 pm      Reply with quote

Yes please. 20 x shafts and 20 blunts. How do you want payment?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:06 pm      Reply with quote

I just emailed you the details. Thanks.
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: