Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Siege
Siege missile rules for NAAMA 2007

NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:38 pm     Siege missile rules for NAAMA 2007 Reply with quote

Calling all siege mongers,

As part of the NAAMA Missile Combat Rules being written to allow missile weapons (including siege) to be used in melee combat at NAAMA, we need to define the siege requirements. Take a look at the draft rules so far:

http://www.gatheringdarkness.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?t=478&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Is the current siege munition standard going to work? Bogue has suggested that a large siege engine won't be able to operate safely within the standards suggested without killing someone. So, we need to come up with a standard that will work for all sized and powered engines, be fair to combatants, and be safe to use and be shot by.

Any feedback and comments would be very much appreciated.

If you have any comments on other types of missile weapons (javelins arrows, spear throwers, etc) your feedback is also welcomed.

Cheers,
Nigel
Bogue
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:13 pm     Siege ammo Reply with quote

Done some math and posted on archery thread

Cheers
Bogue
Stuart

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:04 pm     Siege Ammo et al Reply with quote

Before we calculate ourselves into a frightened corner, can I ask for someone to place a cabbage in a siege engine and run a practical test ?
Air resistance is a big factor and tends to drastically slow down any projectile. Also, any decent sized missile will be seen when in flight - especially if it`s the opening slavo in a battle. It does not take a great deal of inteligence to visually track a falling cabbage and step out of the way ( or raise your shield up ).
-Once again, I remind everyone that European re-enactors have been there before and found a sensible & safe way to run siege engines in combat. Why don`t we ask a few how they went about it ?

Regards,

Stuart.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:54 pm      Reply with quote

Does anyone have contacts in any UK groups who do this stuff? Drawing on outside experience is worthwhile.

The Grey Company has made reference to using painted foam 'rocks' as siege munitions. If an object was sufficiently large enough and light enough would this not negate any launch power enough to make it safe? Is this something that would have to be estimated and tested on a case-by-case basis given that all engines are different?

Would being hit by a cabbage travelling at Mark 1 hurt somewhat, break, bones, and dent armour? Or would it slow down enough to be safe? I like the idea, but we might have to come up with a culinary siege guidebook to make sure that everyone with an engine can have a reasonable stab at what munitions they should be using for their engine, given design, and size.

If this involves a trip to the green-grocer and an afternoon in a paddock with a few engines making coleslaw I'll try and lend any assistance I can.

Nigel
conal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:52 pm      Reply with quote

At present there are no plans to deploy ranged ordnance.
NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:37 pm      Reply with quote

conal wrote:
At present there are no plans to deploy ranged ordnance.

OK, instant poll - who is planning on bringing siege engines to NAAMA and using them in combat? If not, why not?

We have a couple of small onagers which we'll be bringing along for a bit of fun, but they're almost rediculously small - just big enough to lob the minimum sized ammo into battle. It would be good to have something a little more formidable on the field.

Nigel
conal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:13 pm      Reply with quote

Nigel,

I'm waiting on Darryl for a response to the Bombardment request posted on the seige forum.

Bearing in mind that we'll be deploying just under Two tons of gear if the lads go for it you can see my concerns will largely focus on the logistics of force projection.

I used to come to NAAMA with a back pack.
Bogue
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:03 pm     Seige engines at NAAMA Reply with quote

Urban Disturbance will be there.
Didn't build it as lawn furniture for Scottys place. Though that is what it currently is.
Still working on the ammo though.

Looking at bean bag type things full of real beans.

Cheers
Bogue
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: