Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Reenactment Combat
Sword dimensions question

David

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:21 am     Sword dimensions question Reply with quote

Hi All,

If I were to have a sword made what would be the best dimensions regarding blade thickness, point diameter and any other dimension that would make it as widely legal as possible for different rules?
I have read Patch's NAAMA rules for weapons - are these rules representative of world-wide thought on sword dimensions for safety and acceptability?

Many thanks for your thoughts.
David
Angel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:15 am      Reply with quote

You might also want to check the MLHNZ combat rules, availabale here
http://www.livinghistory.org.nz/document_library/fighters_handbook.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:51 am      Reply with quote

Thanks Angel - very useful...

David
Bogue
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:52 pm     Sword dimensions Reply with quote

The MLHNZ and NAAMA specs for swords are pretty much the same.

In both cases they require a 10mm DIAMETER tip.

If a sword is made to that spec over time with the filing of dings and stuff it will soon wind up smaller than legal.

I was once asked by a member of an Auckland group whose sword failed at weapons check.
"What would I have to do to make this legal?"
My answer "Cut 6 inches off the pointy end"

They weren't amused, but that particular sword would have been only just legal had the person done so.

Having made close on 2 dozen blades for NAAMA use I always make them to at least 15mm tip.

plenty to think on

Cheers
Bogue
Patch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:07 pm      Reply with quote

If you want to be internationally safe the Paul Chen range of practical weapons are specifically made for that requirement. They have a 3 mil edge and about 3cm diameter tips. I think the Medieval shop in Auckland has these for about $250. I am sure that Wargod can get them in for you too.

mail@themedievalshop.com

#SH2046 Practical Single Hand Sword
Ref: 1826
Our Practical Single-Hand sword is tailored to the needs of the re-enactor and very affordable. Featuring authentic hilt styling, with fully tempered un-edged and un-pointed blades, these swords are made to withstand rugged use while providing the level of safety required by many of today's re-enactment societies. It features a classically simple hilt, with a permanently-mounted grip and riveted tang for safety. The blade is fullered for balance and features 1/16" edges and a rounded tip. The steel-mounted wooden scabbard is left unfinished for owner customization.

KEY FEATURES:
* Made for the re-enactor
* Authentic look and feel
* Complies with safety requirements

MEASUREMENTS:
BLADE LENGTH: 30”
HANDLE LENGTH: 6 1/2”
OVERALL LENGTH: 36 1/2”
WEIGHT: 2lb 8oz

Practial sword.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.5 KB
 Viewed:  8302 Time(s)

Practial sword.jpg

Fungus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:11 pm     Sword Reply with quote

Patch I have one and they are good swords

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:25 pm     Fulvio Del Tin Sword Reply with quote

Thanks Patch and All,

I already have one of those swords and am very happy with it EXCEPT the quillions have come quite loose with use (as a side issue does this pose a problem for NAAMA use?)

I am wanting a slightly lighter blade and some significant hand protection with a finger ring and so am seriously considering a Fulvio Del Tin weapon as pictured and have been in discussion with him on this...

"My swords have a blunt edge, it is not sharpened but not very thick. The thickness in the edge normally is 1 millimetre, it could be even 1,5 mm on request.
The sword 6150 have a blade that tapers toward the point and for this reason it is very flexible. The blade thickness at 10 centimetres by the point is 2,5 millimetres."

It appears he can make blades to custom spec.

As another aside - does anyone know of anybody or any supplier of a sword similar to this configuration that is closer to home?

Many thanks again
David

6150small.jpg
 Description:
INFANTRYMAN SWORD. Venice, late 15th Century. Overall length 95 cm, weight 1280 gr
 Filesize:  48.93 KB
 Viewed:  8262 Time(s)

6150small.jpg

Colin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:06 pm      Reply with quote

There is always Manning Imperial in Oz. I've been impressed with the quality of everything I've ever brought there.

He'll do custom work too (well all of it is 'custom').

An example from his online catalogue on a side sword:

http://www.manningimperial.com/item.php?item_id=477&g_id=10&c_id=50

See http://www.swordsmanship.co.nz/
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: