Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Reenactment Combat
More interesting Headblow?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Victorius

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:04 pm     More interesting Headblow? Reply with quote

Saw one of the guys at the Taupo Jousting take a horizontal blow to the side of the head during the Headblow fighting at the arena late Sunday afternoon. It was great fighting, he was wearing a great helm, so no harm done, but it got me thinking...
What thoughts about extending the legal blows allowed in NAAMA Headblow to include more decapitation-like strikes, or even thrusts to the face and throat?
Not necessarily any more dangerous than normal Headblow, especially if the right face, side of head and throat protection are worn. For 14th century or later a Gorget or solid Bishop's Mantle could be worn, along with a dog-face visor, or full-visored Armet, depending on period. Going further back, great-helms could be worn, and many Norse already use aventails on their Gjermendu helmets like the Vendel-helm style (or whatever, correct me here if I'm off the mark please guys), so they could have more solid protection under there. Migraton-era had face-plates (eg Sutton-Hoo) and Romans can use gladiator helmets or sports-helmet face-masks. So authenticity need not be compromised for safety's sake, but incorporated within.
Thoughts please people?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:36 pm      Reply with quote

I think you guys have a death wish..

Head-blow = head-injury.

Go figure.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:54 pm      Reply with quote

head blow does not always = injury.
there is only one strike zone on the head and that is directly to the crown. sometimes things (weapons) do go astray for various reasons, but side decapatation type strikes as victorious mentioned may well be asking for trouble.
Víkarr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:36 pm      Reply with quote

Thrusts to the face with metal weapons? Its hard enough to convince many re-enactors that vertical head shots are safe! Its quite a disconcerting feeling having a shinai thrust into your face when you are wearing a fencing mask, if you havent experienced this pop over sometime or drop by ASEMA. Do you know many re-enactment groups who practice this style of combat? If not there is probably a good reason why.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:11 pm      Reply with quote

Ha! For once I agree with this Victorius. With the helmets Victorius mentioned sideways decapitating blows could be done reasonably safely.
I don't believe he mentioned thrusts only sideways strikes.
Griff might be right it may hurt the neck I guess if someone hit you when not prepared for it, say from behind or the side.
But the NZ Norsemen would do it anyway because we are hard.

And yes you were correct about the Gjermundbu/Vendel/Valsgarde/Sutton Hoo styling.

This Stuart has a lot to learn about headblow combat. It always amuses me to see people whom don't fight preach against it. Anti authenticity and anti headblow what group are you with exactly?
Stuart

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:57 am      Reply with quote

I not anti-authenicity. Don`t misunderstand that. I have no problem with authencity standards in New Zealand. I do have issues with the the way in which authenticity standards are policed and arbitarlly changed in the UK. If you had to make new kit evey three months because of someone`s rule changes, you would be pretty pissed off in short order.
Fortunately Kiwis have more common sense than the Brits, and would not tolerate such sillyness.
My point here is that obsessive authenicity is damaging re-reactment in the UK.

Head blows. Leave all the macho postering aside for a minuite. We are not talking about a controlled vertical head tap ( Auckland Norse style ), we are talking the use of a stabbing pointed blow or a pile driving side-swipe.
--People it`s been done. It was tried in allmost every heavy combat plate armour group across the UK and one thing came out of it. Head injury.
Again & again. If you allow this to happen here someone wil get seriously hurt and you run a risk that the authorities will feel compelled to regulate re-enactment. Deaths have occured in England on the re-enactment battlefield and there have been call to restrict the activity. Scotland is enacting new laws to prohibit the general ownership of Swords. In England government-run Heath & Safety ( HOS ) have started to take the fun out of re-enactment.
-Do you want that to happen here ??

On wars. UK had unrestricted battles where the victory is left to the side
who has the best tactic and warriors. We met, fight, get drunk and have a party. That is not war.

Over to you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm      Reply with quote

Hjatt?????????? are you all ergee's headblow is more safer then non you just need to toughen up

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:32 pm      Reply with quote

In this I agree, that head blow combat is the way NAAMA should go, I will not fight in anything that does not include some form of head blow again as it detracts from the ability to demonstrate a combat style that is HEMA, bar sharps swords of course.
I do think that it needs to be a controlled strike to the head that is not going to whip lash the head around at all. Fighting against combatants of control in full-face protection, I would fight with vertical, incline and horizontal head blows and stab knocks to the face.
Currently that would have to be wasters and fencing masks for all blows, or metal swords and helms with full-face cover, with out the stab knocks. I am looking at getting a helm with a very strong fencing buff over the eyes, and then stab knocks will be possible. Again it’s all about control though.
I was talking to Steven Hand about this last week, he said in their school, Helms were only a necessity when people lost control, otherwise arming caps and fencing masks with neck protection were fine.

Gerard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:54 pm      Reply with quote

No way. This is a giant leap backwards for safe re-enactment. If you try to impliment this, the inevitable result will be a serious head-injury.
-think I am wrong ? , try it in your own back yard with your WMA mates and see how long you can take this sort of impact without visiting the hospital..
-Ever heard of risk assesment ??
( in any case, this sort of high-impact head-blow will demand that all your fellow re-enactors buy another expensive helmet. I for one cannot afford this sort of expense ).

Get real.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:08 pm      Reply with quote

You must have misread my posting as at no point did I use the words "high-impact head-blow" in fact I said "it needs to be a controlled strike to the head that is not going to whip lash the head around at all"
If that’s not clear let me elaborate
- A controlled strike to the head where your opponent will not suffer concussion or muscle discomfort. Why cant you conceive of controlled blows to the head, when NAAMA fights to the touch currently.
Seems to me that you are reacting without thinking about it or trying it.

Gerard

Last edited by Gerard Kraay on Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Snorri the Mad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:09 pm      Reply with quote

Ha Ha so im not alone. non head blow is more dangerous because your elbows and knees become targets if you want to walk after fighting go for head blow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:18 pm      Reply with quote

ha it seems to me that you called up on this subject on another thread also by a norsemen just stop and listen to my friend blackcrow here

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:24 pm      Reply with quote

Stuart

i am with blackcrow on this one, I have avoided head blow for ages due to the same safety issues you seem to have. i once took a nasty point strike to my right eye and i have had a problem with blades coming near my head ever since.

but what gerard is talking about is not high impact head blow, in fact he is not advocating hitting any harder than we are already required to hit in NAAMA light combat.

I am highly aware of the need for adequate head protection but as far as i am concerned the responsibility is on the person behind the blow not the person recieveing. which translates into CONTROL, CONTROL, CONTROL.

I for one do not want to see the problems you spoke of in the UK occuring here so safety is my first, last, and number one priority, but i am also willing to give something a go, and do not want to see combat in NZ stagnate because we are unwilling to try new things.

And Snorri check the rules the elbows and knees ARE NOT targets, they can get hit but at no time are you allowed to deliberately target the joints. and if they do get hit, then as you seem to like saying.... Harden up
Stuart

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:44 pm      Reply with quote

The macho stuff does not impress me. The injury count at the Battle of Tewkesbury did.
This battle was traditionally seen as a heavy scrap, and not one for wimps. In the heat of battle many head blows were landed with too much force and in the ten history of the battle there was a perpetual problem with varying standards of helm construction and helm padding. Over the years the number of injuries crept up to the extent that the government Health & Safety Executive felt compelled to attend and forced rules on us all.
In the 1987 battle of Mortimer`s Cross I injured someone. Badly. It was a deliberate head-shot, which went wrong when my target unexpectidly stepped forwards onto the blow. Yes, it is possible to fracture a skull inside a great-helm. And yes, he did have padding. It was something that
I never forgot.
I have been seen three periods of re-enactors ( Dark-age, Plate-armour and English Civil War ) who have tried the head-shot (modified head-blow, as described earlier in this thread ). All of those groups experienced head-injury. All banned it as a result.
What the Auckland Norse do is fine. They are highly skilled. The rest of us are not so skilled and the potential for increased accidents remains if hazardous fighting tricks are allowed.

-as I said, try it on your WMA mates first. At worst, you may loose a friend. Try it during wild battle and someone may loose an eye or their life.

Stuart.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:47 pm      Reply with quote

blackcrow wrote:
You must have misread my posting as at no point did I use the words "high-impact head-blow" in fact I said "it needs to be a controlled strike to the head that is not going to whip lash the head around at all"

We were doing controlled head blow combat when we set up the first re-enactment group in NZ in 1979. But back then we started with proper armour and head protection. We also trained intensively, learning how to use controlled blows when delivering a strike to any part of the opponent's body and to abort the shot if things looked like they could go pear shaped. It was only when other groups started to emerge in the 1980's who were less interested in historical equipment and armour that the non-head blow form became the main form of combat in New Zealand.

In Australia they have always done head blow combat as the main form right from the 1970's but they have had decent armour requirements and they also train for it. They have had injuries - in 1985 I saw an uncontrolled downwards strike cave in a Norman helm and put the guy in hostipal with concussion. The perpetrator was dealt with appropriately at the time. At the same event there was an unarmoured non-head blow blunt dagger fight that put a guy in hospital with a punctured lung and by all accounts he was lucky to survive that. At the 1997 Sokill convention I took part in numerous head blow battles over several days involving several hundred renactors from all over Australasia and the only injury of note was a dislocated shoulder when one guy got a bit enthusiastic and did a shoulder roll out of a melee.

They have tried non head blow and head blow combat in Australia as well but abandoned the non head blow from as they were getting far more serious injuries then in the head blow form. In recent years Lion Rampant in Brisbane have been doing harder contact combat targeting the entire body with no significant injuries but then they are all attired in correct 14th century full armour and again they train intensively.

In the early days of NAAMA I took part in the NAMMA non head blow combats that started in NZ. I gave up NAAMA combat as I felt totally unsafe in them despite the non head blow rules. In fact the only foot combat I do now is WMA with head blows using wooden wasters or steel with just fencing masks and a bit of padding. But then again we train intensely for this and are good at what we do.

Yes if you do full power blows to the head you will cause major injuries but you would also cause major injuries if you did full power blows to any part of the body. As Gerard says you need to do controlled blows. But this should be applicable across the board and not just for the head. If you do this and ensure that eveybody is appropriately attired and trained then head blow combat is at least as safe as the alternative non head blow form.

Order of the Boar Historical Foot Combat -
www.hapkido.org.nz/upperhutt.html

Last edited by Callum on Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Back to top Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: