Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Archery
Combat Archery at NAAMA 2007
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Víkarr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:18 pm      Reply with quote

Did some ringing around, should know by tomorrow night if can get hold of any rubber blunts. Will cost somewhere between $1 - $2 each.

V.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:02 pm      Reply with quote

Hi Victor
do you want me to get some "Redheads", the common reenactors blunt here, and send them down to you? Free gratis and for nothing Very Happy
And no not the one I'm married to Twisted Evil
Phil

BTW see them at www.interknife.co.uk
Víkarr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:17 pm      Reply with quote

Phil mate, I was just searching for your email address! Just had a look at them and I certainly wont say no to that offer! Good to see you are still keeping an eye on us from over in the UK. Will track down the last email you sent and give you a reply. cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:40 pm      Reply with quote

Hi Victor
Will get on to it ASAP, will let you know when they are on the way
Phil
NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:39 am      Reply with quote

Cindy - sorry about that, my apologies. I'd forgotten that Grayson had his own login. Are either of you going to NAAMA this year? Keen to do some combat archery?

Phil / Victor - how do these Redhead blunts compare with the SCA Riverhaven blunts? Phil - hyperthetically if we were to order 100 of them, what sort of price could you get us do you think?

Nigel
pmel018
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:16 pm      Reply with quote

Hi There
haven't seen the riverhaven blunts so can't comment. I have some redheads arriving in a day or so and will forward them to Victor. As for a bulk buy I could probably arrange something but you have to factor in tax and shipping.
Phil
NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:27 am      Reply with quote

For those interested - here is a range of the rubber blunts available on the market today:

The first and second photos are of two blunts sold by Quicks Archery in the UK and are perhaps the old-school standard from what I understand. We can get the HTM rubber blunt or (QP36) here in New Zealand.

The third photo is of the 'Redhead' blunts used in the UK and redeveloped to be superior to HTM rubber blunts (I believe).

This fourth diagram was taken from the SCA Fighters Handbook. It will give you an idea of the shape of a Riverhaven blunt. They are made of quite hard black rubber.

I believe that covers the basic options that I'm aware of.

Nigel

Quicks Archery - qp37_s.jpg
 Description:
QP37 Quicks Reinforced Rubber Blunt - "Better for Re-enactment. Thicker sidewall and end pad."
 Filesize:  9.55 KB
 Viewed:  12901 Time(s)

Quicks Archery - qp37_s.jpg

Quicks Archery - qp36_s.jpg
 Description:
QP36 Quicks Hard Rubber Blunt - Also known as an HTM rubber blunt
 Filesize:  4.66 KB

Quicks Archery - qp36_s.jpg

redheads.jpg
 Description:
Photo of 'Redhead' archery blunts
 Filesize:  14.25 KB

redheads.jpg

Riverhaven Blunt.jpg
 Description:
Diagram of an SCA Riverhaven blunt being attached to a shaft
 Filesize:  10.7 KB

Riverhaven Blunt.jpg

Angel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:35 am      Reply with quote

What's the diameter on the front ends of those?
I know the SCA ones are 3/4 inch.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:42 am      Reply with quote

I don't know for sure - none of the websites I've seen have given enough information. Looking at the size of the shaft I'd guess that the Riverhaven blunt has the largest diameter. The redheads and HTM are probably the smallest with I would guess about 2/3 inch diameter or slightly bigger.

Looking at them I think I'd personally go with the Riverhaven blunt or the QP37 blunt. The 'redhead' have more rubber in the end than Riverhaven blunts. Swings and roundabouts I guess.
Chevalier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:29 pm      Reply with quote

Quote:
SCA Riverhaven blunt

I have those and recommend them as sole use as most reenactors have quite wide helmet eye openings (yes, they should wear mesh too).

SCA ChCh is ordering bulk lots at times, we might be able to join. I remember prices as very reasonable..
Víkarr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:49 pm      Reply with quote

Here is a picture of one of the blunts I got from Archery Imports. These are the HTM blunts above and I was quoted $1.65 each. The tip diameter is approx 20mm and tip thickness of 10mm (yes my measurments are in mm not inches).

I suppose at this point as well as discussing what is the best to use it might be worth working out what blunts are not suitable, if any. The last thing anyone wants is to get some only to have someone tell them they cant use them.

V.

2.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  10.06 KB
 Viewed:  12886 Time(s)

2.jpeg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:01 pm      Reply with quote

I don't see why we couldn't use any of the four blunts I mentioned, or others if they are similar enough.

Because I'm making 100 or so arrows I want to find an ideal blunt for me to use on them. I guess each blunt is going to perform slightly differently, but I haven't seen a lot to suggest that any one of them is dangerous or unsuitable.

$1.65 is not a bad price.

Thanks for the photo Victor. It looks like the tip diameter is roughly the same as the Riverhaven blunts. Provided the thickness of the rubber at the end of the blunt is sufficient and the rubber is not too soft as to be torn by the shaft inside then from a laypersons point of view I don't see any problems.

Can anyone who's had more experience shed any light on the pros and cons of various blunts?

Nigel
Angel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:23 pm      Reply with quote

If you use the SCA standard you can use them at any SCA event in NZ and Australia as well, more chances to shoot people.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:16 pm      Reply with quote

Nigel- yes Cindy and I are going to Naama. i will put myself forward as a Combat Archery Target (should have appropriate kit by then)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:40 pm      Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks for the photo Victor. It looks like the tip diameter is roughly the same as the Riverhaven blunts

No, Riverhaven is wider as it is 2,1cm diameter at base.

I have shot different blunds and it comes down to price, availability, possible uses etc. Riverhaven are a good choice because you can use them in SCA combat, which still sees most combat archery in NZ. Price is under $2 too. Also, as the widest base it is an additional protection against eye socket penetration (some of the other blunds listed above would penetrate)... wider base also means ouch bruising but less likely to injure, also due to slighly slower flight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Back to top Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: