Search

Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Reenactment Combat
Norsemen - Sunday Training

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:25 am     Norsemen - Sunday Training Reply with quote

I decided to pay a visit to the Norsemen on Sunday and do some training with them. It's the first steel weapon training I've done in about two years.

I enjoyed it. I'll be going back.

The general level of costuming was high. Everyone was in period shoes or bare feet and they all wore helmets. Armour was close enough for a mellow puff.

We all kitted up and went for a short jog in full kit. Did a bit of gentle warming up an then did some 2 on 1, 2 on 2, 2 on 3 work. Eventually having a few 5 on 5 battles.

We drilled as a shield wall, with commands in old Norse (I think). Then we trained as 2 shield walls "dog fighting" to get the commanders trying out all the commands.

We finished with some wrestling, where Hansi challenged all comers to a final wrestle, as it was his last training session.

Interestingly, all the combat was head blow combat and it felt safer than much of the non-head blow combat I remember. It's probably because everyone was wearing helmets and many had mail covering their face and neck.
conal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:08 am      Reply with quote

Good to hear.

Viv'la Derek.
New Zealand Norsemen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:46 pm      Reply with quote

HAIL TO YOU.YOU ARE ENCOURAGED TO GO AGAIN.
Snorri the Mad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:00 pm      Reply with quote

Hjatt norseman training is the best and the safest everyone should come

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:56 am      Reply with quote

For any of the Auckland Norse who were making spoons this weekend and couldn't make it to the event

Last edited by Inigo on Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Scott

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:26 am      Reply with quote

Sorry to interject, but I couldn't resist.

That is one seriously AWESOME challenge! Smile
Inigo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:03 am      Reply with quote

It was good to see SNORI and GRIM displaying courage appropriate in young men. After I made my challenge and King Frank accepted it, they both immediately took up the offer and met me on the field.

SNORI fought me first with a good aggressive attack, but after four bouts he was too tired to continue. GRIM fought me second with a more measured fight. After the challenge he fought me for probably thirty practice bouts and I could see that he was thinking and learning from every bout. It is good to fight people who learn quickly and who don't let you kill them with the same shot again and again.

I took the prize helm to the polisher yesterday and when he started polishing it, there was a great thunderstorm that made the windows rattle. So I think maybe Thor likes the helmet as well. Very Happy I will post a picture of the helm here when I have all the mail attached and finished.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:38 pm      Reply with quote

That is good to hear Frey Inigo. Snorri and Grim are excellant fighters.
I hope you keep your helmet for a long time and therefore have to come back to visit often. Many were the positive comments I hear following your stay.
Inigo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:20 am      Reply with quote

Here is the finished helmet I'm offering as a prize.

Skull is 2mm mild steel
Brass on top and sides is 1.6mm
Brass spectacles are 3mm brass
Mail aventail is about 1.6mm (???) spring steel
Behind the mail is a hidden 1.6mm plate
Padding is > 13mm

SCA legal (with only one really visible ugly bar).

Free to any Auckland Norseman who can take it from me Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:09 pm      Reply with quote

Hail are you still up to the challange my old freind and would you consider insted of the broad spears a simple knife fight and i in return would offer two roses each loss.

Laughing

what say you Sir Inigo Missaglia.

By word of the kings Huscarl hail king Frnush Blood Axe.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: