Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Historical Combat
Justifying the name: medieval martial arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:31 pm      Reply with quote

Peter Lyon made me a copy of the "Sempach Sword" last year scaled up by about 20% (see Oakeshott's "Records of the Medieval Sword). It is a true longsword but weighs in at only about 1.75 kgs.

Most two handers weighed less than 2 kg. But you have to add about .5kg to a modern replica if you want blunt edges.

But even then good modern reproduction two handers and longswords are light enough to be used comfortably in one or two-handed modes.

Order of the Boar Historical Foot Combat -
www.hapkido.org.nz/upperhutt.html
Colin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:18 pm      Reply with quote

Yes, my longsword is overweighted Sad It weighs 5lbs.

Quite possibly Robbo refers to one of those cinder-block pommel metal things that people mistakenly called swords.

See http://www.swordsmanship.co.nz/
Colin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:43 pm      Reply with quote

conal wrote:
um... which end do I hold it by again?

That could entirely depend on what is needed to be achieved. The donnerschlag was a technique employed in harnischfechten for example.

See http://www.swordsmanship.co.nz/
Robbo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:48 am      Reply with quote

Colin wrote:
Yes, my longsword is overweighted Sad It weighs 5lbs.

Quite possibly Robbo refers to one of those cinder-block pommel metal things that people mistakenly called swords.

Quite possibly. Although, having said that, I've gone an entire days using a pig iron sword before...bugger that for a game of soldiers I tell ya! :p
Vorschlag

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:37 pm      Reply with quote

Quote:
Quite possibly. Although, having said that, I've gone an entire days using a pig iron sword before

You have me puzzled then, how is it you came to the conclusion you couldn't handle using a two hander if the weight isn't the issue/, speak to Bnonn in the H.S.E.M.A I think he's still leading german longsword down there or atleast would be happy to see interest in it, he might be able to solve the problem for you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:05 am      Reply with quote

could be worth a shot.
Tristan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:43 am      Reply with quote

Bnonn is indeed the instructor for german longsword in Hamilton, but the classes are currently inactive due to busy schedule and lack of students. Don't let this stop you getting in contact if you're interested though. There could also be a possibility of including some longsword in one of my next training visits, which is getting overdue. This usually pulls Bnonn in, unless his rabbits escape again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:04 am      Reply with quote

Quote:
Good question. I figure it to be anything involving a heavy weapon tbh. I don't use shields or two handed swords for example. Not because I can't, but because I can't use them effectively for long.

Hm, endurance is quite different (it seems to my limited experience) to a weapon being unsuitable to a persons' body type, etc.

I'm sure that Bnonn would be pleased to be able to talk longsword with anyone at the moment (when I approached him about our current sword and buckler class he jumped and its' not even his weapon).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Back to top Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: