Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Archery
Arrow bag - fairly authentic

NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:39 pm     Arrow bag - fairly authentic Reply with quote

Gt1cm2 sent me this link, showing a reconstruction of an arrow bag/quiver based on the finds on the Mary Rose. I've had several people tell me about these, but I don't have any primary sources to verify the design.

http://www.english-longbow.co.uk/largepics/arrow%20bag.html

Cheers,
Nigel

arrowbag whole.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.72 KB
 Viewed:  9878 Time(s)

arrowbag whole.jpg

arow bag with arrows.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  49.32 KB

arow bag with arrows.jpg

arow bag on sholder.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.65 KB

arow bag on sholder.jpg

pmel018
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:33 am      Reply with quote

Hi Guys
met these very guys at a major re-enactors fair 2 weekends ago! The only piece of this that relates to the Mary Rose is the spacer with the holes in it, the bag is a"best guess" from other source. Almost all of the arrows and bows recovered were packed in chests or barrels There is a good bit in Hardy's "English Warbow" about it all. BTW these guys sell really nice archery gear, 19C style longbows and medieval style longbows up to 180 pound draw!!!!. Decent people to talk with too.
Phil
Frosty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:40 am      Reply with quote

hey Nigel
there is a War bow Archer from the uk who belongs to the English war bow society and is living here in hastings now
he was at taupo and put 2 arrows through my shield...(eat your heart out Charlie!)

he has a bag exactly the same as that and he is wanting to start a war bow society in new Zealand.
hes also got a book showing the construction of the bag as well as garb for the archers from early 14th to the late 15th century
hes keen!
so am i
thought you might be too

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:04 pm      Reply with quote

Hi Frosty, I know who you're refering to. A very nice guy and calling him "keen" is putting it mildly! He was trying to get a chapter of the English Warbow Society going up here but then opted for for the Hawkes Bay instead. Auckland's loss is Hasting's gain there. If you see him say hi from me!

John
Frosty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:09 pm      Reply with quote

hahaha yes keen is mild. ill tell Keith you said hi

would be nice to have a New Zealand wide chapter going though wouldn't it? then its not Auckland's loss. simply a slight access problem Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:57 pm      Reply with quote

i made one of those bags for my wife and they are really simple to throw together

they are also really easy to draw from and the cloth hood stops the arrows falling out.

i would recommend one like this over the steriotypical quiver any day

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:00 pm      Reply with quote

now that you say stereotypical quiver im looking at mine and thinking..right *throws it away and starts again*

those quivers are nice for storing but i think the "stereotypical" quiver still looks good to "ye olde public"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:45 am      Reply with quote

adrianf wrote:
i made one of those bags for my wife and they are really simple to throw together

they are also really easy to draw from and the cloth hood stops the arrows falling out.

i would recommend one like this over the steriotypical quiver any day

Wouldn't canvas or leather be better in terms of waterproofing?

TTFN

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: