Search

Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Reenactment Combat
Should we change the NAAMA combat rules regarding strikes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

David

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:05 pm      Reply with quote

My view from the other thread,

Quote:
I say amend NAAMA rules if that's what the Community desires but preserve the history and spirit of NAAMA for what it is (and it is Bloody good fun, great place for newbies, low stress and testosterone (generally), family orientated and not too NAZI as to make it inaccessible).
Alongside the NAAMA combat experiment different rule-sets for those who are interested - this will act as a safe test-bed to try out emerging rule-sets...

Yours aye
David

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:58 am      Reply with quote

I'm kind of distant here, but my vote is no.

While there are reasonable and valid points made for full blow combat, with full power striking and full armour accuracy, I would much rather be associated with a sport that made it easier for a complete newcomer (or be someone who had fallen out of training to get back in easily) to be able to take this up and choose where to go from there.

While Alan Axe makes the point of factionalization within NAAMA, my understanding when I first joined and started training was that NAAMA was an umbrella organisation - factions were already present. Merely easy to meet, common rules were to be followed for clubs wanting to tight each other.

Ergo, there is no reason why there cannot be an organisation for the heavy blows single/mass combat... and at the October gathering, the three groups (Heavy full contact with steel, SCA, NAAMA) could meet in the spirit of camaraderie.

But changing all NAAMA to potentially critical wounds?

No.

Alan.
Victorius

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:10 am      Reply with quote

So far, lots of responses.

Now, just in case there's any confusion, what is not being advocated here are full-power strikes. Instead, the proposal is to update from :

"All blows must be controlled and a touch is all that is necessary for a hit to be counted..."

to

"All blows must be controlled. Each strike must be landed so that had it been delivered with full power and with a sharp weapon, the strike would have killed or disabled the victim and removed them from the battlefield...One must land a solid and clean hit with the edge of a blade, usually accompanied with a draw of the blade across the opponent’s body."

In other words, there is no case for harder blows, merely ones that look harder than "a touch".

Let's not count the last vote, as no-one has been advocating full-power strikes (we'll leave that for BON, a style that already fulfills the desires of heavy-hitters).

Of course, all of this could be a moot point, as the existing NAAMA headblow combatants have already been delivering what I've been advocating for the past six or more years. So the new proposal, as it were, is already de facto in force in that style of NAAMA combat. I was merely looking to introduce it to NAAMA non-headblow.

The matter of historical accuracy in kit and garb is something that has also been raised, but that should be dealt with elsewhere, if it is a pressing enough issue to generate discussion. We would all, of course, expect such for public displays, such as day events or the likes of Taupo. With private closed events, such as NAAMA, it may be a different matter. Some events, such as BC Camp and Werecewode, already cater to re-enactors who wish to enforce a stricter standard in a closed event setting.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:43 am      Reply with quote

nope - don't start ignoring votes because you don't think the person is thinking the same way you are.
People might be confused as to what the result of such a change would be... That very same confusion is part of why this rule change is BAD (and because the very same person that started this latest debate on the rules HAS been pushing for harder hits)
Victorius

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:19 am      Reply with quote

Ben wrote:
nope - don't start ignoring votes because you don't think the person is thinking the same way you are.
People might be confused as to what the result of such a change would be... That very same confusion is part of why this rule change is BAD (and because the very same person that started this latest debate on the rules HAS been pushing for harder hits)

Ben wrote:

I’m not concerned with what the others have been pushing for. That’s a matter for the other thread.

But, as I stated in this case, strikes must be controlled. I did [i]not//] call for anything along the lines of full blow combat, with full power striking and full armour accuracy and changing all NAAMA to potentially critical wounds. Therefore, a reason given along such lines is not relevant to this discussion, regardless of what others might have called for.

Still, not that it matters in the end, as I’m only trying to gauge all your thoughts on this precise matter, and most certainly am not advocating full power strikes. The BON code already allows for that. Even if a majority all voted for my proposal, we don’t have a means of actually enforcing it. We’d need to step up to another level, something along the lines suggested by David about club captains reporting back from their own members’ meeting etc.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:23 am      Reply with quote

Ben wrote:

By that rationale Ben, if I vote change because I red the namma rules to say hits only count if they tickle and dont count if they look good, then my vote is to be counted?

Bottom line if people are voting for an option that is non existant then they are not voting vote does not count.

Just to be clear my vote does not really count either because I vote for neither of the proposed measurements, I think they are both flawed.
ChronicD
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:24 pm     Following Hawkwind on this one Reply with quote

Hi all,

I put myself with hawkwinds comments in this thread - its a vote based upon two options that were not generated in a discourse on the topic. ie a rational discussion on what constitutes safe/fun/skillful/martial fighting for participation from a wide range of skill/periods/backgrounds/experience.

In other words a vote is meaningless when the options are not those that i would put forward, with this in mind i also vote neither.

On a side note i would vote for change to the regs - not sure what to and really that is what needs to be discussed. Why i would like to amend them is simple, there is a change in how/what people participate in and really this needs to be considered in regulations that enable all these differences to come on one field in a safe environment where fun can be had. I was writing that we can test our skill against each other in one place but i thinking about it i actually dont think you really can, so perhaps the NAAMA regs are there more to create a place that safe place to have fun in rather then test yourself against an equal. On that tangent perhaps then it is our attitude towards mass combat that needs to be accounted in the regs - ie testing of ones skill should not be the goal, having fun, looking cool and bonding are. I wander if the regs could account for this in way that marshals could actually enforce/manage this.

anyway i'll stop there Smile

my midday thoughts
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:09 pm     Re: Following Hawkwind on this one Reply with quote

ChronicD wrote:
Hi all,

I put myself with hawkwinds comments in this thread - its a vote based upon two options that were not generated in a discourse on the topic.

Well, it was...

ChronicD wrote:
ie a rational discussion on what constitutes safe/fun/skillful/martial fighting for participation from a wide range of skill/periods/backgrounds/experience.

In other words a vote is meaningless when the options are not those that i would put forward, with this in mind i also vote neither.

On a side note i would vote for change to the regs - not sure what to and really that is what needs to be discussed. Why i would like to amend them is simple, there is a change in how/what people participate in and really this needs to be considered in regulations that enable all these differences to come on one field in a safe environment where fun can be had. I was writing that we can test our skill against each other in one place but i thinking about it i actually dont think you really can, so perhaps the NAAMA regs are there more to create a place that safe place to have fun in rather then test yourself against an equal. On that tangent perhaps then it is our attitude towards mass combat that needs to be accounted in the regs - ie testing of ones skill should not be the goal, having fun, looking cool and bonding are. I wander if the regs could account for this in way that marshals could actually enforce/manage this.

anyway i'll stop there Smile

my midday thoughts
Dan

Interesting thoughts. Still, this thread developed from the other one at

http://www.gatheringdarkness.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2798&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

What it basically boiled down to was perceived tippy-tappy versus something else. That something else already exists: non-NAAMA SCA; the new BON; or NAAMA headblow (which unofficially disallows non-charged blows).

So, what's the problem then, considering these other styles already exist? I can only assume it meant some were unhappy with the current NAAMA non-headblow.

To that end, I suggested a way of modifying the current non-headblow ruleset, and came up with this thread. If the parameters are too narrow, then I apologise. I wished merely to keep things simple, in the hope a single change could be made without needing another system.

If the options presented are too narrow, then perhaps we could widen them? Or not? Perhaps leave NAAMA non-headblow as an entry-level qualification, or as a light alternative to heavy (kind of the same way Touch Rugby is to tackling Rugby League?). Those who want to do something with a bit more oomph can go to the headblow option, or train in the newly-arrived Jomsviking Huscarl system, or even BON.

I know this was suggested before. I'm just saddened at the thought of so many systems, when I was hoping that one would do.

So, what to do:

1) Vote YAY or NAY for the proposed change?

2) Leave NAAMA non-headblow as it is, and promote one of the existing parallel systems for those who don't like NAAMA non-headblow?

3) Suggest some other change, and vote on that?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:03 pm     Afternoon thoughts Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, it was...

umm well rather what i meant was if it were talked about it was limited to those who read the thread Smile me (i skim read it to catchup before i posted), you and who knows how many others - hopefully everyone posting. My point was the choices hardly represent the community who make up the participants of the said regs.

I am not saying that there is anything wrong with having a vote, indeed it is a good gauging tool. Rather i was expressing that the options did not account for me who would like to see change but not in the way described. So i was trying to indicate i voted for change rather then not but not as it was described..... ummm that is getting confusing. perhaps i can explain my point with a question. As the choices did not account for my views should i have no voice in the vote?

In a way a vote in a thread is just a different way of having a discussion and so i simply wanted to participate Smile

I suppose what i am getting at is that though forums are great for talking about something they do not have coverage to account for the community at large. And so using the forum to discuss something in any way (voting was a good way of getting people into the discussion) must have a goal of producing a result that can then be used in a broader discussion. (I know this is obvious)

So how we discuss things needs to be as broad as possible. in this case disussing the NAAMA regs is actually quite specific. Again im not saying this in a bad way rather trying to connect the discussion back to what i perceive to be broader issue. Which seems to be getting tangled up in all kinds of discussions. Basically its how can all re-enactment groups from any period communicate and participate at the same events, camps, displays etc... normally left up to the organizer. NAAMA as it is is a framework for the fighting aspect of this - basically anything goes up until gun powder. It has facilitated this very well in the past when most people were basically fighting at home like they did at camps now this is no longer the case and is creating a feeling that it doesnt work.

So in my humble opinion the regs do need to be revised/revisited to take this into account, people may say it already does - others not. Me really think it works well.

Why this has become so talked about is that there are a lot of folk who are frustrated with only having this as an option at camps, specifically NAAMA. In other words they feel unaccounted for.

Bare with me - almost done Smile

I think what has to happen is that NAAMA as an entity needs to account for these new ways/methods/systems of fighting as well. It should be all inclusive. (notice NAAMA as an entity is separate to NAAMA regs)

That is not to say that it has not already been tried - rather that running a camp is hard enough as it is and having to manage the application of a bunch of extra systems of fighting on top of NAAMA is to much and so it falls back to the default NAAMA and sometimes head blow.

So i suppose what im saying is why cant NAAMA as an entity use the NAAMA regs side by side with BON, SCA, MLH, Western Martial arts, etc... We dont need to rewrite whats already been done - use the foundations of what has been built before.

That way there is one NAAMA system and other systems that are agreed alternatives for those who want them.

ummm... did that help Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:57 pm     Re: Afternoon thoughts Reply with quote

ChronicD wrote:
Quote:
Well, it was...

umm well rather what i meant was if it were talked about it was limited to those who read the thread Smile me (i skim read it to catchup before i posted), you and who knows how many others - hopefully everyone posting. My point was the choices hardly represent the community who make up the participants of the said regs.

Good point. though this was only a starting discussion. If it had progressed past this with overwhelming support for change, then it would have had to go out to the wider re-enactment community. Darryl and David already suggested this. and a way of doing this when they said:

Fungus wrote:
...[The NAAMA combat rules] need to be updated from time to time.
The last time I think it was done was a while ago and it was done by tabled amendments sent in before NAAMA and we just voted on it with little or no debate and that seemed to work well and was only a 1 hour meeting.
Should we to this again?

David wrote:

1Club Captains ask their members to vote on whether the NAAMA rules need amending.
Not specifics just "yes" or "no"
We could even run an online (Facebook or SurveyMonkey) vote for all the community - in fact that is probably the best way to go.
If "yes"
2Club Captains solicit amendment suggestions from their members
3These suggestions are circulated to all Club Captains
4Comments are invited.
5Vote taken by Club Captains - can be electronically once again - if so it could be opened up to the whole Community

Club Captains represent their members this prevents a "free for all"

We would need specific submission / action dates and possibly someone to coordinate overall. there is no reason why this shouldn't be able to be handled electronically before NAAMA.

So it can go out to the wider community. Naturally, there would need to be ways for independent re-enactors to stay in the loop.

But this assumes there is a call for it. those who find "tippy-tappy" isn't there thing may only be in a vocal minority, and the silent majority may be quite satisfied with the status quo.

Mind you, if the less articulate non-PC try to raise their voices, and if they do it in a way that seems rough, or even rude and abusive, there is the bourgeois tendency to rubbish their views on the grounds that they haven't been articulated according to some desired format. Such an attitude may lead to such people objecting silently, but never daring to voice their views, as they might feel they'll be shouted down, or out-argued by the super-literate. It's something that needs to be considered, at any rate.

ChronicD wrote:
I am not saying that there is anything wrong with having a vote, indeed it is a good gauging tool. Rather i was expressing that the options did not account for me who would like to see change but not in the way described. So i was trying to indicate i voted for change rather then not but not as it was described..... ummm that is getting confusing. perhaps i can explain my point with a question. As the choices did not account for my views should i have no voice in the vote? In a way a vote in a thread is just a different way of having a discussion and so i simply wanted to participate Smile

Exactly. But that's what the other thread is for. However, no-one has really suggested any other option apart from what has been outlines above, in the other thread.

ChronicD wrote:
So i suppose what im saying is why cant NAAMA as an entity use the NAAMA regs side by side with BON, SCA, MLH, Western Martial arts, etc... We dont need to rewrite whats already been done - use the foundations of what has been built before.

Good idea, and it's already under way. NAAMA headblow already occurs, and they don't allow "tippy-tappy" - even though the NAAMA headblow regs (the same regs, BTW) still say "a touch is all that is necessary for a hit to be counted..." That is tacitly and unofficially ignored. No-one objects - and if they do, they're welcome to go off to fight non-headblow.

Also, I'm hoping that BON will appear at NAAMA this year.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:53 pm      Reply with quote

NAAMA Rules cannot be changed unless it is voted on in the Captains meeting at the NAAMA event itself.

There is a captains meeting at this years NAAMA. Monday Morning.

Anyone with issues about NAAMA combat should give your views to your INDIVIDUAL CAPTAINS who will bring this up at the meeting.

As far as my knowledge goes only CAPTAINS and HEAD TRAINERS have the right to vote on any NAAMA issues.

The NAAMA combat rules will not be changed for NAAMA 2012 in any way,

However...... we will be running multiple fighting fields in diffrent styles including Armour NAAMA rules, Headblow, BON, SCA heavy, SCA Rapier, NAAMA combat, Archery Combat as well as a multitude of tournaments.

Put up or shut up my lovelies - National Association of Ancient and Medieval Arts 2014 is still open. Change the rules then.

Love yall

Sophie
Head Honch and Final Stopping Point of NAAMA 2012

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:07 pm      Reply with quote

hopies wrote:
NAAMA Rules cannot be changed unless it is voted on in the Captains meeting at the NAAMA event itself.

There is a captains meeting at this years NAAMA. Monday Morning.

Anyone with issues about NAAMA combat should give your views to your INDIVIDUAL CAPTAINS who will bring this up at the meeting.

As far as my knowledge goes only CAPTAINS and HEAD TRAINERS have the right to vote on any NAAMA issues.

The NAAMA combat rules will not be changed for NAAMA 2012 in any way,

However...... we will be running multiple fighting fields in diffrent styles including Armour NAAMA rules, Headblow, BON, SCA heavy, SCA Rapier, NAAMA combat, Archery Combat as well as a multitude of tournaments.

Put up or shut up my lovelies - National Association of Ancient and Medieval Arts 2014 is still open. Change the rules then.

Love yall

Sophie
Head Honch and Final Stopping Point of NAAMA 2012

Right then.

Though I'm not sure how exactly these things should go...

So, does one captain bring it up and the others vote? Or is there a more official agenda-type thingy? Would captains actually vote on something like this, or would they want to take it back to their clubs for discussion first?

At any rate, looks like we have a solution. If it's presented, there will be a vote, and then that's that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:21 am      Reply with quote

Quote:
Mind you, if the less articulate non-PC try to raise their voices, and if they do it in a way that seems rough, or even rude and abusive, there is the bourgeois tendency to rubbish their views on the grounds that they haven't been articulated according to some desired format. Such an attitude may lead to such people objecting silently, but never daring to voice their views, as they might feel they'll be shouted down, or out-argued by the super-literate. It's something that needs to be considered, at any rate.

This is very important...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:23 am      Reply with quote

Quote:

Love ya Sophe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:15 pm      Reply with quote

Quote:
Sophie wrote:

Put up or shut up my lovelies

haha lol

as for the rest of the post - wonderfully clearly written. I'll hence keep my mind on appropriate questions rather then discussions about how to discuss.

On that note, as i am sure you are quite current on everything NAAMA. Is there any other document other then the regs that is used in the running of NAAMA - say the associations mission statement and such things. Some sort of manual/holy book of sorts perhaps? Smile

hugs
Dan

Page 2 of 3

Jump to: