Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Reenactment Combat
The effectiveness of swords.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Patch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:15 am     The effectiveness of swords. Reply with quote

Here are several questions that I think it is worth thinking on.

If your target is not covered in armour then…
Can you can leave a scar on the bones of their limbs with a chop from the wrist alone?
Can you cut a roast to the bone with a cleaver and a wrist shot?
Can you slice through their clothing and meat to the bone with a push or draw cut with a sword?
Can you cut a raw leg of lamb to the bone with a kitchen knife?
Is a cut to the bone a significant injury? Would it end the fight? If not how effectively would you fight from that point?
Do you need a full arm swing to chop a persons meat enough to do a significant injury?
Do you need a full arm swing to cut a persons belly?
Do you need a full arm swing to cut a persons belly all the way through the spine?
Do you need to cut a limb off in order to end a fight?
How much pressure does it take to push a sword into someone?
How deep do you need to puncture a persons belly before it is an injury that would normally end a fight?
If you require a full arm swing with a sword to hurt a person, how can a pocket knife ever cause damage?

Illusions can exist and be just as common about how tough a person is as the opposite.
NAAMA fighting assumes an un-armoured opponent, it does not actually call for bad technique.
Of course bad technique happens, but most people find it is by bad fighters. It is hard to blame a person for not being better when we are all striving to be our best.
Patch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:16 am      Reply with quote

I know a lot of people will talk with scorn and derision about other peoples styles, from many different camps including the ones that I am (mostly) at. While I think that many of them are fools for doing so I think it is important to give other peoples styles a chance at respect.
Having spent many years fighting at NAAMA events (as well as SCA and others but I am really talking NAAMA here) I have certainly noticed that sometimes a person will land a blow that is truly inconsequential. On the field these are usually, but not always ignored, it depends on the circumstances. Fighters with honour will of course communicate when they feel their shot was inadequate, and this does actually happen all the time. When you think about it there is no prise for winning in NAAMA except more fighting, and not much point in not just getting on with the fighting.
I have also noticed that juniors are often confused at the difference between a good blow delivered with control and a poor blow that does no more than tug at their sleeve. Experience and training teaches us how to tell the good from the bad. The top fighters can perfectly well tell the difference.

I certainly respect the WMA stuff I have seen, I have several videos of awe inspiring techniques that give a real glow when you manage to pull them off on the field. I have read and practiced techniques, moves, and principals from historical texts, some of which have become staples of my personal style.
I think that the SCA have a phenomenal clubbing style, brutal, practical and effective. The principals of which translate beautifully into hammer and mace work.
I think that the jousting and horseback fighting I have seen is incredible, especially given the natural temperament of a horse seems more akin to a overgrown bunny than to a tiger.
I admire the savagery, techniques and resilience of the various armour styles I have looked at, a fabulous way of fighting and well worth pursuing.
I even like, and am happy to poach concepts from Asian, Malaysian, street, and stylised forms. Some things I find work and others are built on paradigms that don’t translate very well but, and here’s my point; in my experience and in many ways ALL are worthy of respect.
-Patch.
Oskar der Drachen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:45 am      Reply with quote

[quote]I even like, and am happy to poach concepts from Asian, Malaysian, street, and stylised forms. Some things I find work and others are built on paradigms that don’t translate very well but, and here’s my point; in my experience and in many ways ALL are worthy of respect.
-Patch.
Quote:

Fighting style, weapons and armor all influence each other, they exist in symbiotic relationships that flow with the developments in each of the three corners. It was a point I made earlier. The fighting style of a re-enactment group changes with the culture of weapons and armor that is adopted over time.

Which is why there is trouble when you have two cultures overlapping, the style/weapon/armor equation doesn't match anymore.

Along more with the topic, you have to define your questions along a narrower path. If you are talking about the effectiveness of a "sword" what on earth do you mean by that? Not to be intentionally difficult, but *what style of sword category* are you looking at? Swords as I stated earlier developed in an arms race alongside of armor. Swords and armor existed to defeat each other, and were tailored to do so, inflicting very specific kinds of damage.

Am I being pendantic? Please tell me and I'll nip it in the bud.
Patch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:13 am      Reply with quote

“Fighting style, weapons and armor all influence each other, they exist in symbiotic relationships that flow with the developments in each of the three corners. It was a point I made earlier. The fighting style of a re-enactment group changes with the culture of weapons and armor that is adopted over time.”

Yep sure, I totally agree.

“you have to define your questions along a narrower path. If you are talking about the effectiveness of a "sword" what on earth do you mean by that?”

The questions are questions.

I posted them to pose them as questions

I wanted to let people think them through and maybe challenge in their head some slightly bizarre assumptions I have noticed floating about.

I have some fairly good ideas about how I think that they might be answered and I am really interested in other peoples ideas.

I totally appreciate that different sword types act differently. Assume a nice sharp blade with a flattish profile, a halfway decent tip, here this is a pic of the sword I most commonly fight with at the moment. Work with this if you wish.

“Am I being pendantic? Please tell me and Ill nip it in the bud.”

Heh, no that’s great, share! That’s what opinions and knowledge are for.

european-sword.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.44 KB
 Viewed:  34718 Time(s)

european-sword.gif

Colin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:08 pm      Reply with quote

Cutting with a sword is a skill, and relies on good technique. A dark age onwards type sword is fairly long (as compared to a dagger or knife), and as a result the blade flexes. To cut with a sword you need to retain its sharp edge in a single line. To thrust with a sword you need to align the flex along the trajectory of that flex. The longer the sword, the more this problem compounds.

This is not true for (typical) daggers or knives which have far more rigid blades (due to length). A sharp eating knife can easily penetrate 20 layers of cloth, whereas an arming sword takes a lot more skill (and yes, I have tested both).

Essentially I'm referring to blade harmonics. While the centre of percussion (or sweet-spot) on a sword remains still (presuming you have a sword made by someone who knows how to make swords correctly), this is only a very small area of the sword. If you want the sword to physically cut, you must not have significant sine waves occurring along the length of the sword.

So to answer most of your questions it requires correct technique, technique and strangely technique. The way most people "cut" with a sword that I've witnessed, they'd have difficulty parting a single layer of cloth. This is why I have a lot of amusement with so called sword experts when they try to cut something, and it doesn't cut at all.

BTW, with a thrust it takes 3lbs of pressure for a sharp epee to enter the human body. Classical fencing requires an appropriate bend of foils/epee before counting as a point.

See http://www.swordsmanship.co.nz/
Patch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:31 pm      Reply with quote

Yep Colin, great points, practice and technique makes all the difference in the world.

I am very much aware how easy it is to push a sharp through a person. Although admittedly not via direct experience.

So if we may imagine that you were doing the cutting, then how would you answer the list of questions?
Colin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:08 pm     Re: The effectiveness of swords. Reply with quote

Answering from my own knowledge of test cutting and experiences, and is no way reflective of the average person trying to do the same. The answers are also probably unwelcome.

"If your target is not covered in armour then…
Can you can leave a scar on the bones of their limbs with a chop from the wrist alone?"

Yes, I could. I have already demonstrated how to do wrist cuts in the description of Achilles Mazorro which have a different mechanic to what most people consider wrist cuts (hint there's something else in play apart from just the wrist or sword).

"Can you cut a roast to the bone with a cleaver and a wrist shot?"

Yes, see above.

"Can you slice through their clothing and meat to the bone with a push or draw cut with a sword?"

Depends on where. Where the bones are near-ish the surface, like the arms, yes. They're part of the schnitt techniques in blossfechten.

"Can you cut a raw leg of lamb to the bone with a kitchen knife?"

With a draw cut.

"(1)Is a cut to the bone a significant injury? (2)Would it end the fight? (3)If not how effectively would you fight from that point?"

(1) Usually. I've had a knife slice to my knuckle before, and while messy (lots of blood) it didn't disable me in the slightest. I still carry the scar.
(2) Depends on where it hit, and whether it disabled. Certainly shock will usually be a problem.
(3) See (2)

"Do you need a full arm swing to chop a persons meat enough to do a significant injury?"

Depends on the target. There are three divisions of cuts in the Bolognese school; wrist, elbow and shoulder. All depends on the proportion needed.

"Do you need a full arm swing to cut a persons belly?"

No, but again comes down to skill.

"Do you need a full arm swing to cut a persons belly all the way through the spine?"

Possibly. A hard one to answer at this point in time. I may try to simulate this one day with the tatsumi mats and a dowel in the middle. Of course people will probably argue the simulation is flawed Rolling Eyes

"Do you need to cut a limb off in order to end a fight?"

Potentially so. Silver argues that a cut is more likely to end a fight than a thrust, but a perfect fight needs both.

"How much pressure does it take to push a sword into someone?"

Already answered with the epee.

"How deep do you need to puncture a persons belly before it is an injury that would normally end a fight? "

Depends on where it hit, and what damage it did. It probably would not end a fight straight away. The only thing that stops a fight instantly is taking out the motor functions of the brain.

"If you require a full arm swing with a sword to hurt a person, how can a pocket knife ever cause damage?"

Most people don't know how to use a sword.

"Illusions can exist and be just as common about how tough a person is as the opposite.
NAAMA fighting assumes an un-armoured opponent, it does not actually call for bad technique.
Of course bad technique happens, but most people find it is by bad fighters. It is hard to blame a person for not being better when we are all striving to be our best."

I'm not trying to change NAAMA, but most techniques I've ever witnessed are worthless in an actual fight. It might be classified as fighting, but it sure isn't fencing. Unfortunately the foundation from which most styles (all?) of NAAMA descend were never from an actual fencing system, but an attempt for an unified system for actors in the 20th century for theatre.* From a fencing perspective it is horribly flawed, but hey, if you enjoy doing it, so be it. I'm not trying to be the grinch.

* It is the same system that Bob Anderson taught to the hero actors of the LoTR triology. I can dig up the authors of said system if people are really curious. The books are in the Auckland Public library (cannot speak for other public libraries).

Patch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:45 pm      Reply with quote

Thanks Colin, thats an interesting perspective, extra worthy in that it comes from a direction that is fairly opposed to the kind of combat I do. By and large I agree with your views and experiences.

I have found that my style has developed in a way that I advocate using the speed and strength combinations from the elbow more than wrist or whole arm. This suffices to lay acceptably hard shots in the SCA traditions and yet is still exceptionally quick for NAAMA fighting.

I find that whole arm shots are excellent if you have bound your opponents weapon or otherwise rendered them incapable of taking advantage of the slowness of the strike, at least that has been my experience, but they are only marginally harder hitting.

Yes shock is a big question, bullets only make finger sized holes after all, (yes ok putting aside hydrostatic energy transfer to the surrounding tissue and caliber size you pendantists!) shock, blood loss, and muscle and tendon severance are all worthy areas of interest. I am fairly sure that if I personally had my bicep severed to the bone (just to pick a common example, and presuming I was not dropped from shock) I would be keen to flee the fight and get it seen to.

I certainly appreciate the difference between fencing and fighting. Sometime I might like to try some historical fencing, the example stuff I have seen online looks interesting.
Cheers, Patch.
Colin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:35 pm      Reply with quote

I'm surprised it didn't cause more controversy, but then this has only been the first response Wink

Patch wrote:

I have found that my style has developed in a way that I advocate using the speed and strength combinations from the elbow more than wrist or whole arm. This suffices to lay acceptably hard shots in the SCA traditions and yet is still exceptionally quick for NAAMA fighting.

The medieval fencing texts that have survived to the modern age would be considered "shoulder" shots in the main. This is because they are a ward to ward fighting system. Everything, be it cut, thrust or slice, starts from a ward and ends in a ward.

From Camillo Agrippa with the advent of the four primary guardia (prima, seconda, terza and quarta) the emphasise changes. Instead of starting in a ward and ending in a ward the style changed. You start in a ward and return to a ward after cut or thrust. Even George Silver's advocacy follows this pattern. (It could be argued that Agrippa was not the start of this, but without a decent translation of Marozzo's Opera Nova, I won't comment). This style has fundamentally never left fencing. It continued on with French small sword, sabre, broadsword, bayonet and so on. The concept of utilising wrist, elbow or shoulder becomes paramount to the action required. This concept is known as proportion. You do the minimum needed for the task demanded. If a wrist shot is all that is required, don't do an elbow strike (and so on).

Patch wrote:

I certainly appreciate the difference between fencing and fighting. Sometime I might like to try some historical fencing, the example stuff I have seen online looks interesting.
Cheers, Patch.

From April I will be attempting to run Historical fencing at the University of Auckland. If some of my students are correct, you run some sort of training on Thursday (I've had several students attend your trainings once or twice). I intend on running the German material on Thursday starting from 6.30pm. I'm not sure of your starting time, but you're more than welcome to at least watch (not that I could stop you in such a public place anyway.) Marinus will be co-instructing that night too. He will be teaching messerfechten. I believe he had some fun with the Argent Lords a few Thursdays ago. Someone there wanted Marinus to show him some material, or at least so I was told.

Oskar der Drachen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:01 pm      Reply with quote

Another perspective anyone?

The theory behind an "effective" SCA hit is to cause a wound that is incapacitating enough to follow with a killing strike. So the first hit is to incapacitate, though I prefer a "kill" and target areas where that would be achieved.

The "notch" or join between shoulder and neck. Lots of good arteries there, and the shape of the area is hard to armor, and tends to focus a blow.

Face for obvious reasons, and the reason why I'm wary of trying steel combat. I'm trained to target your face by instinct.

Artery areas, inside the top of the leg especially.
Patch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:55 pm      Reply with quote

Oh yes, those are all great places to target for extremely effective wounds.
In point of fact when we are sparring (NAAMA) we chose to specifically avoid the vulnerable spots for obvious reasons.
It took me some time to “train in” to fighting SCA heavy style, but it is perfectly doable. Even harder the other way around but it is like using your mouse in your wrong hand or changing from one type of shooter game to another, you pick it up quickly after an initial very awkward period where you have to go painfully slowly and carefully.
I had to be quite careful about hitting with the end of my sword in SCA. Not a thrust but a chop with the last bit of the weapon. It is not considered polite to hit people with the very end of your rattan as it tends to have much less surface area then just a bit down the shaft.
And then I spent a least a full training session hitting people way too hard as I was on a blanket “full speed” setting.
Colin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:49 am      Reply with quote

Patch wrote:
... in that it comes from a direction that is fairly opposed to the kind of combat I do.

I should point out that I am not "fairly opposed to the kind of combat you do". People doing NAAMA or SCA type fighting are welcome in my book to keep doing whatever it is they enjoy doing. I'm not trying to change them. My consternation enters only when people lie about what they do. If someone claims to do "Medieval Martial Arts" they had better be doing "Medieval Martial Arts" rather than claiming to do so, but instead are doing something else entirely.

A lot of the medieval fencing treatises are available free online. There are numerous books explaining how certain people believe how they were done. There are opportunities to even take classes here in NZ from those that have done a lot of work in the reconstruction of those arts. There are no excuses anymore. It sickens me how quickly some people are prepared to deceive the public.

Oskar der Drachen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:52 am      Reply with quote

Indeed, "way too hard" is the principle difference between real and re-enactment combat.

In a real combat situation, there isn't really such a thing. Barring conditions where it would damage your weapons, or put you at a tactical disadvantage that is.

I at times have had a reputation for "too hard" in SCA combat. It's not an intent thing, it's just that I'm a very big strong person, who is exceptionally quick into the bargain. Just part of the package as it were. I'm a good weapons platform... Laughing

That's not to say I'm thuggish and don't practice accuracy, I can plant a faceplate with a nine foot spear, from nine feet away. To the chagrin of more than one person who thought themselves out of range I might add.

It's the "way too hard" factor when you deal with re-enactment combat, sword effectiveness becomes more one of accuracy than power. Geometry instead of Physics if you like.
Anna Cruse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:10 pm      Reply with quote

Thank Gods for that! And here I was thinking a P-crazed nut with a sword could be dangerous, when obviously it really takes a lifetime of training and dedicated study of the masters to inflict terrible and potentially fatal wounds that could cause a victim to stop wanting to be there.

We should get all those cases where someone has been charged with such instantly reviewed and revoked - obviously, their victims fell into combine harvesters, and just lied about it.

Speaking of which, if someone DOES happen to fall or trip over an inconveniently placed sword and cuts themselves to ribbons, does that make them or the Gods the master sword wielder?

Two more questions (that will probably require a new topic each):
1) what makes the informed (for the sake of argument) beliefs of one person who writes a book more worthy than the informed beliefs of another who doesn't?
2) what is the definition of Medieval fighting, when the only thing that differentiates it from any other kind of fighting is the time and space where it happened, period tools and beliefs like Jehova was waiting to judge the loser? Do we have to have the period, geography, beliefs or even the tools to be doing it? Try not to give a pat unconsidered answer. Some of us don't believe the Bible...

Anna
Colin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:40 pm      Reply with quote

Anna Cruse wrote:
Thank Gods for that! And here I was thinking a P-crazed nut with a sword could be dangerous, when obviously it really takes a lifetime of training and dedicated study of the masters to inflict terrible and potentially fatal wounds that could cause a victim to stop wanting to be there.

I don't recall saying swords weren't dangerous, or can you point that out somewhere? As for the P-crazed nut, from what evidence of injury that was reported it appears he didn't know how to use, fortunately, the Japanese sabre; an intercepting hand would not have stopped a decent cut, but YMMV

Anna Cruse wrote:
We should get all those cases where someone has been charged with such instantly reviewed and revoked - obviously, their victims fell into combine harvesters, and just lied about it.

Whomever said swords cannot kill? Whomever said swords cannot kill in un-trained hands?

Anna Cruse wrote:
Two more questions (that will probably require a new topic each):
1) what makes the informed (for the sake of argument) beliefs of one person who writes a book more worthy than the informed beliefs of another who doesn't?

What relevance does this have? When it comes to trying to piece together a craft that has died out you can either try "experimental archaeology" to piece it together or if there are books on the craft, you can try and piece it together from there.

Anna Cruse wrote:
2) what is the definition of Medieval fighting, when the only thing that differentiates it from any other kind of fighting is the time and space where it happened, period tools and beliefs like Jehova was waiting to judge the loser? Do we have to have the period, geography, beliefs or even the tools to be doing it? Try not to give a pat unconsidered answer. Some of us don't believe the Bible...

Anna

Actually we do know that fencing changed quite considerably from the Middle Ages Anna. Apart from obvious changes in technology and armaments there are numerous documented sources to consider. I've already listed Camillo Agrippa, and he caused a major change to the science of fencing. Not that it happened everywhere, and at all places (even in Italy).

Strangely we do have the tools to reconstruct some of the Medieval fencing arts. The primary information in the form of the books they wrote on their fencing arts, and secondary information in numerous forms. From accounts of (judicial) duels, skeletal remains, various artistic renderings and so forth.

But, and I want to re-iterate this yet again, I'm not trying to change re-enactment fighting. I'm not "fairly opposed" to Eamon's fighting. All I requested was for people to be honest in what they do. Is that too much to ask for?

Page 1 of 6

Jump to: