Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Armouring & Weapon Smithing
Linothorax/spolas Has anyone made one?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Daniel Duxfield

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:20 pm     Linothorax/spolas Has anyone made one? Reply with quote

I'm assembling materials to make a linothorax/spolas.

There are lots of resources and some plans online.

Just wanted to know if anyone has made one or tried?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:30 pm      Reply with quote

sounds like a respiratory condition

"I am sorry Mr Jenkins but you have an Acute Linothorax Spolas"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:51 pm      Reply with quote

Ok, so for those playing at home . . . .

I've been experimenting with the technology behind the linothorax/spolas. I've used linen and cotton and have experimented with making flat "boards" and also using a mold.

To date I've mad an gorget and a set of bracers. Made of laminated cotton and linen.

Method;
Around a mold I layer the first sheet of linen/cotton. Damp lightly with a (water) wet brush. Just enough so that the linen is soaked through and adheres to the mold.

Then I painted pva glue onto the wet linen ensuring that the whole piece is soaked through.

That's 1 layer. Keep repeating the process up to 10 to 16 layers. Now leave to dry and cure.

Result;
Armour. It is light and still remains flexible. Very easy to get on and off.
I can also apply more layers after the pieces have dried. I just need to leave it to dry and cure again.

Full testing will be carried out over the next few months. With Mad Jim and our merry band of novitiates.

I'm working on a breast and matching back plate. And have the layered/laminated the cotton and linen up to 14 layers.

I'm planing on making a full set of armour. which will not be authentic to any period of (known) history. I'm designing as I go and aiming for maximum practicality over any particular style or period.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:00 am      Reply with quote

Can you put up some pictures?
Daniel Duxfield

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:07 pm      Reply with quote

will do. watch this space.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:08 pm      Reply with quote

Ok, so I promised some photos and here they are.

Now to preface these, this is not historically correct or authentic to any period. This was an experiment using ancient technology to build effective, lightweight armour, without spending lots of money.

At this stage of production I am curing the shape before I paint and seal the armour. The belt around the middle is intended to ensure the shape conforms to the body.

Questions and positive criticisms are welcome (moaning about lack of authenticity is not). Smile

Last edited by Daniel Duxfield on Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daniel Duxfield

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:59 pm      Reply with quote

This is the front/chest piece. I'm reforming it in the hot Otago sun, on the mannequin torso used as 'mold' of sorts to build the armour on.

IMG_3372resized.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  89.76 KB
 Viewed:  27495 Time(s)

IMG_3372resized.jpg

IMG_3373resized.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.29 KB
 Viewed:  27497 Time(s)

IMG_3373resized.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:08 pm      Reply with quote

This is the back piece.
Less laminations of cotton and linen than the front piece, but I've added pieces of (5mm) thick leather to the spine for added protection.

IMG_3376resized.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  72.86 KB
 Viewed:  27493 Time(s)

IMG_3376resized.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:12 pm      Reply with quote

This is 2 images showing the detail of the straps used. I used dog collars for these. Cut them to size. I then placed the straps where I wanted them and drilled holes through the straps and the lined. Drilling is easy and the only way to get through 14 layers of linen and cotton without destroying the armour! I then matched all the holes before sewing them with nylon thread. They are very secure and have not moved during initial testing, i.e; doing simple drills.

IMG_3378resized.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  86.65 KB
 Viewed:  27489 Time(s)

IMG_3378resized.jpg

IMG_3377resized.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.91 KB
 Viewed:  27490 Time(s)

IMG_3377resized.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:14 pm      Reply with quote

This is how it all looks from the sides.

IMG_3375resized.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.93 KB
 Viewed:  27484 Time(s)

IMG_3375resized.jpg

IMG_3374resized.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  90.22 KB
 Viewed:  27485 Time(s)

IMG_3374resized.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:19 pm      Reply with quote

So, now that you've seen my little project, please comment.

Consequently, I will be in Auckland for a working holiday from Dec 10th, until March 2012.
I am bringing all the armour I've made thus far (torso armour, bracers and gorget) + my weapons and welcome any personal inspections.

I would especially like to test the armour under 'sparring conditions' and see what adjustments need to be made.
Please contact me via email or text me on 0221099442.

Plan now is to build pauldrons.
Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:01 pm      Reply with quote

Armours looking good..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:32 pm      Reply with quote

Laminated fabric is an interesting idea. What is known about this process of
making armour? How does it's protective value compare with sewing
together multiple layers of fabric?
Terme

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:15 am      Reply with quote

looks ok what is the ammount of protection you get? is it easy to add more layers!
Daniel Duxfield

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:18 am      Reply with quote

John F; from what I could find online there is plenty of research done about the Greek Spolas/Linothroax, but no surviving examples remain from 2000 years ago. All we have to go on are ancient accounts and vase paintings. Some students at the Uni of Wisconsin, Green Bay have a video of their research;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ERSx1o8wwk

But the technology is very sound. Fabric laminated with pva glue, or bone glue in ancient times. The finish is very solid and rigid. It is still flexible once finished. The only thing which affects this is heat.
My bracers for example will become flexible, along the cross-section, but still very rigid along the length while wearing them. If that makes sense.

Terme; you wondered about protection. Well that has to be fully tested. I tested the bracers while sparing with Mad Jim and they went well. You can turn a blade on them without the bracers being damaged.

As for thickness and layering. It is believed the Greeks made their armour of this type up to 16 layers of linen. This will produce a very rigid form and very resilient to direct 'flat' impacts. One could build it up to 20 layers or more for more protection.

See the following video for testing a linothorax against various arrow heads of it's era.

Thanks Jim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qyGge-laQY Very Happy

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: