Search

Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Reenactment Combat
An National Open Tournament. Who'd be interested?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Mad Jim

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:07 am      Reply with quote

Well amongst those photos [of the Wisby Battle] near the end was one on one tornament, where the combatants were in full armour, the whole lot look cool.
Although I think in start of this thread Duxfield had put forward the notion of it being a combined event [EHA, Re-en,Jap,SCA etc.] which could work if we are all protected, but then it comes into far tomany dramas.
For a full period tornament [full armour] it would be very costly to join, especailly if you wanted decint armour and not just GDFB or the likes.
A European Historic tornament would not require plate/heavy armour and thus be cheaper ,but then it would be limited to those with the knowledge of such arts..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:11 pm      Reply with quote

JohnF wrote:
Callum is one such person, he's quietly getting things organised. Once he has done his due diligence I'm sure we'll hear more. Perhaps there are others in the woodwork who will announce their intentions once they are prepared?

I am planning to invite a number of international foot tourney fighters to Harcourt Park 2013 in much the same way as I invite international jousters to the event.

I actually invited the winner of the main Hackaland foot combat division in Belgium earlier this year to the next Harcourt Park but he has a genuine fear of flying Sad

Because I'm elevating this aspect of the event to the international level, there will be a higher kit standard and it will be enforced.

I am also looking at making 3 longsword fights a mandatory part of the "Grail of Chivalry" (the main prize offered at Harcourt Park) format for the jousters. However, not all of the jousters I invite are necessarily sword fighters so I may have to give them a choice between longsword and archery.

While Harcourt Park is the wrong event to run a full blown "National Tournament" at, by elevating the foot tourney to the international level, it does start the process of elevating the 14th century foot tourney concept we are developing to beyond just NZ as well as laying some good ground work for perhaps a much larger foot tourney. I was hoping to run a multi-period "Living History" event here early next year where a larger foot tourney would have been better suited but I postponed the idea for the time being partly because of limited time to organise it and partly because lack of interest.

However, I will revisit the idea at a later date. In the meantime I will be organising a series of tourney training workshops - parhaps one as early as this November and I'll be speaking to Mike and the rest of my local team tomorrow about this.

Order of the Boar Historical Foot Combat -
www.hapkido.org.nz/upperhutt.html
Mad Jim

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:06 pm      Reply with quote

A question for a 'Full Foot Tournament', would that mean that all had to be fully plated? What would be the min armour requirement? Would it be limited to just the 14th C. as I'd love to partake in such an event but I quite prefer the 15th C. and would much rather aquire armour from that era...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:38 pm      Reply with quote

I'm looking at a format that will allow participation with progessive levels of kit.

For example:

Dagger on Dagger could be done in soft kit only if you use wasters of some sort. However, I would prefer steel and this would require gambeson and leather gloves. Not sure if we need head protection for this.

Sword and Buckler and Longsword would require above plus either semi rigid or rigid torso armour and head protection.

Pollaxe would require above plus either semi rigid or rigid limb armour.

As John says, it is a work in progress for me so I'm still not set on anything final.

Also I am looking at 1400 AD plus or minus say 25 - 50 years. So given the huge change in armour over that period we should be hopefully able to accommodate mostly everybody who may be interested.

Mad Jim

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:24 pm      Reply with quote

That sounds good, I am wanting to get my grubby hands on a late style kettlehelm that has the eye slots, fit that with a bevor, and other plate, pretty much there is a picture of the sort of look I want near the start of Hans Talhoffers 'Fight Earnestly' buch.... only drama is that it'll take the next ten years to put together!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:42 pm      Reply with quote

Callum, I'm slowly moving from kit that is 13th C + "Medieval" towards late 14th. What are your requirements for the foot workshop you intend to hold?
Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:48 pm      Reply with quote

Hi John,

There are no specific requirements for the training workshops at least for the initial ones.

English Warbowman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:04 pm      Reply with quote

Silver,
There is absolutely no need to apologise as you have done nothing wrong Wink However I think that we might have been talking at cross purposes, when I was writing of kit I actually meant clothing and overall presentation for a public display. I can't get into a discussion as to what is
appropriate protective wear etc for edge weapon combat because that is not my gig.
What I am interested in is to try and establish what level of accuracy in weapons/equipment and clothing are acceptable for a public display. I don't that this has been debated to any length and what about the question - what does the paying public want to see at an event? Having been on both sides of the fence as a spectator and participant I have my own views which I will post on a new thread.
pmel018
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:53 am      Reply with quote

Hi Callum
for dagger vs dagger face/neck/throat protection is necessary even with the cut down shinai as shown in the video I posted. With wooden or steel weapons even more so. So may techniques aimed at that area. Its pretty hard to hide a fencing mask though.
Phil
Silver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:11 am      Reply with quote

Callum wrote:

Sword and Buckler and Longsword would require above plus either semi rigid or rigid torso armour and head protection.

Just a question,
me being blonde and all
What do you mean by semi rigid or rigid torso?
Is this breast plate or cuirass type or somthing more?

Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:45 am      Reply with quote

Thanks Phil.

We are quietly working away on our dagger on dagger tournament format as part of an elective system of weapon choices for Order of the Boar foot tourneys and had arrived at the same conclusions.

For the tourney workshops we have decided on a minimum kit standard of gamebson, fencing mask (we can provide a few of these) and leather guantlets with rigid cuffs and box. We can also provide the wooden daggers for this workshop. For public displays the fencing mask to be replaced with full face period helm, appropriate hose/footwear and assume also steel rondels at this stage.

We decided on the rigid cuffs because Fiore uses a number of scissor locks using the body of the rondel on the wrist, we found that in our test sparring that the rigid cuff is essential for safety.

For our tourney fights we are not having an accumulated points system so once somebody achieves one of a number of situations the fight is over. These conditions are:

-- Successful point attack.
-- Successful disarm/take down/lock
-- Successfully driving the opponent out of the arena/into the barrier.

The next step for me is now to organise an initial 4 hour workshop at the Upper Hutt Martial Arts Academy for those who are interested in taking part in this (either as combatants or referees). This will allow us to involve at least the more local interested people in the fine-tuning of the system and if there is interest I could look at presenting the system in other parts of NZ. The dagger on dagger format lays the foundation for the other elective weapons (sword and buckler, longsword and poll axe) so once we have fine tuned and safety tested this format we should be able roll out at least the sword and buckler and long sword workshops in fairly short order.

So I am wondering who else would be interested in taking part in the initial seminar in Upper Hutt? I am looking at a Saturday afternoon or a Sunday mid-morning to mid afternoon and charging $25 per person for facility costs. Also, given the number of other events in the last quarter of this year (Nelson Camp, NAAMA and Eketahuna Camp) is there room for this workshop this side of New Year or should I schedule it for January?

Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:00 pm      Reply with quote

Silver wrote:

Just a question,
me being blonde and all
What do you mean by semi rigid or rigid torso?
Is this breast plate or cuirass type or somthing more?

Hi Silver,

Semi-Rigid - mail shirt.
Rigid - coat-of plates or similar, plate cuirass.

So you can use either a mail shirt over appropriate padding or one of the rigid forms of armour over appropriate padding or arming clothes.

Silver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:08 pm      Reply with quote

hmmm alright not much point in getting a gamby then if I can just wear padding under the chain
could just use my dark ages gear
would be just the same.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:20 pm      Reply with quote

Callum wrote:
So I am wondering who else would be interested in taking part in
the initial seminar in Upper Hutt? I am looking at a Saturday afternoon or a
Sunday mid-morning to mid afternoon and charging $25 per person for
facility costs ... should I schedule it for January?
I'm keen. Either day and time slot would be fine. My wife would prefer me to
do it early next year :). Plan would be that she'd drop me off and go
shopping in Welly. I would need to borrow a fencing mask and dagger.
Callum wrote:
assume also steel rondels at this stage.
Where do you get your steel rondel trainers from?
pmel018
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:34 am      Reply with quote

Hi Callum
I concur fully regarding the gloves. I use a pair of Police riot gloves, they have very long cuffs with some sort of foam built in to cuff and knuckle, i back these up with a pair of escrima forearm guards which work extremely well and cost very little(about 15 pounds)
heres a link http://www.eskrimador-supplies.com/Sparring_Equipment.html
Hmmm looks like Auckland Martial Arts Supplies have something similar from Adidas https://www.amas.co.nz/custom.cfm?&action=subcat&categoryid=5&subcatid=30
The thin ones work best in my experience.
I used this combination through a couple of 2 hr classes at this years Fightcamp that focused on the scissor trap and variations, afterwards I had minimal pain and bruises
Phil Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Back to top Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: