Search

Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Reenactment Combat
An National Open Tournament. Who'd be interested?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Daniel Duxfield

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:56 pm     An National Open Tournament. Who'd be interested? Reply with quote

As I expressed in another thread. would people be interested in a National Open Tournament, where fighters of any period and style can come and test themselves against each other?

Very mixed martial arts, but would bring the community together, aside from Taupo and allow everyone to fight.

Who'd be up for that?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:18 pm      Reply with quote

I know I would be interested but there is alot to consider timing location costs involved to people attending (if any) & by open event do you mean to the public as well?
Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:11 pm      Reply with quote

I'm looking at running a "training tournament" here (Wellington area) later this year (November?) basically to introduce the International Combat League rules and format that I saw used very well in Belgium last month. These rules aren't too much different from what we've used in NZ but have some differences which I think enhance both the participant and public enjoyment of this aspect of our hobby.

Order of the Boar Historical Foot Combat -
www.hapkido.org.nz/upperhutt.html
Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:06 pm      Reply with quote

Callum wrote:
I'm looking at running a "training tournament" here (Wellington area) later this year (November?) basically to introduce the International Combat League rules and format that I saw used very well in Belgium last month.

could you please link these rules or list them (in english to thanks)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:11 pm      Reply with quote

Yes, please post them I'd like to see them too.

A Training Tournament would be a great place to start. Grow it up from there.
A 'comparing notes' camp or event would be awesome.
There would be so much we could learn from each other.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:58 pm      Reply with quote

well ....... wasent the orignal purpose of naama just that

geez everyone rubbishes naama for ages { not pointing at the people on this post}

well circles are a natural shape but prehaps a linear progression may help here other wise it could all happen again

lol
Mad Jim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:08 pm      Reply with quote

Doesn't Naama use a differnent rule set to the likes of European historical arts? Like no thrusts? side head shots, grappling etc..?? Maybe its just me ahah

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:52 pm      Reply with quote

stephan wrote:
well ....... wasent the orignal purpose of naama just that

No.

Duxfield

I have thought about this for a long time and the biggest hurdle I can forsee is the disparity of protective gear.

in particular face and throat protection, since any of the Hema/WMA practitioners would insist on face/head strikes and the NAAMA style fighters don't as a rule use full face closed helms and fencing masks have a number of drawbacks (but that is being discussed elsewhere )finding a middle ground would be difficult.

apart from that I am all for it and would like to help organise one or at least a test tourney to hash out the rules and so on.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:12 pm      Reply with quote

Carl,

you guys insist on gorgets, chain maille coifs and helms?
Jim and I are of the same mind.

We have helms so far. Personally, my next bit of kit will be a chain maille coif with the bit that goes across your face.

A national tournament, I think would force us to ensure that we were the "masters" of our chosen weapon(s). And our armour was up to the task we are putting ourselves in.

If we want to do this then we have to admit that we're not playing tiddily winks and that we enjoy it. But we want to do it well.
And be tested.

We can find middle ground.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:10 am      Reply with quote

All in
organize and people will come not all at first these things take time but the masses will come
but remember politics will also come to a big event so be prepared
apart from that ill gladly compete dark ages, longsword (as long as others have a proper face on their helm) and saber.
Also if going that way I would like staff and dagger for like minded people, you know who you are. Medieval Medieval

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:09 pm      Reply with quote

Well for myself I'd have to go with fencing mask and gambeson plus proberly modern armours due to costs of steel armour etc..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:05 pm     Re: An National Open Tournament. Who'd be interested? Reply with quote

Duxfield wrote:
As I expressed in another thread. would people be interested in a National Open Tournament, ?

yes me and 2 of my man at arms are always up for a Tournament
where and when did you have in mind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:33 pm      Reply with quote

That's good that there is plenty on interest.

Jim's point about using modern armour is an interesting one. Ex-police riot gear is a lot cheaper than steel armour and does the job just as well.

I think pracicality would rule out over historical authenticity. Perhaps save the authenticity for the Taupo event and go more practical for the tournament?
What do you guys reckon about that?

As for where? There is a small park in the village I live at which could be used. There is space to camp and setup an arena. The community would most likely enjoy and endorse such an event.

Now as for rules . . . .

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:28 am      Reply with quote

Quote:
Doesn't Naama use a differnent rule set to the likes of European historical arts? Like no thrusts? side head shots, grappling etc..?? Maybe its just me ahah - Mad Jim

The #1 rule of NAAMA is actually not "You shall not talk about NAAMA" but is instead - "The marshals instructions supersede any and all other rules." The rest of the ruleset is the standard for interclub combat but you can actually fight under any well understood and mutually agreed upon ruleset that does not give the Marshall or hosts a heart attack.

I strongly recommend that if the marshal is going to run fights under a different style that they carefully and throughly explaqin the differences to the participants and have a comprehesive and firm control on the fighting but other than that the policy of NAAMA has always been generously inclusive of other styles. You can fight full steel or SCA or Shini and fencing masks or martial arts styles as long as everything is well under control.

Run you ideas past the hosts and see what they think.
Cheers,
-Patch.
Daniel Duxfield

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:05 pm      Reply with quote

Jim and I had a discussion about a rule set specific to our little club and our students. From that we established things like a "killing blow", i.e; a cut/blow which would in reality take you out of the fight or force you to stop/yield/die.
Target zone is anywhere between the elbows to the knees. This includes the head, torso front and back, upper legs and upper arms.

Now I know this could get very technical, like; a cut to the inside thigh might/has the possibility of opening up an artery and then you die.

The marshal could in this instance, give the striking fighter a point(?).

But a strike to the torso or head, which would in "reality" be a killing blow, would end the match, or that round of it.

(Am suddenly getting ideas about a points system, like boxing.)

Jim, can you post the HEMA rules set please? Very Happy
Good discussion too.

Page 1 of 9

Jump to: