Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Archery
Archery group on North Shore

claudius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:43 pm     Archery group on North Shore Reply with quote

An archery group practicing in Sunnynook Reserve, Tonkin Drive entrance North Shore starting at 1.pm on Sunday 13. all welcome, Please bring your own bows and arrows if you have them. If not you can use our spare equipment for a nominal fee of $5.00 per archer to share for the day.

The Company of Classical Archers ph 0211-896957
Ancient one
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:25 pm      Reply with quote

Great Effort, Claudius.
It's refreshing to see a Classical Bow and Arrow group on the north Shore that focusses on Historical Periods earlier than the High Middle Ages and on Archers other than the redoubtable Yeomen of Agincourt (bit of a cliche now, that, isn't it?).
All the best for this Excellent Breakthrough for New Zealand Archery.
Archer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:47 pm      Reply with quote

Very interested, in what period Classical Bow and Arrow group covers, have a lady from the Sable Hart emigrating to Auckland in the next wee while and thought I would pass this along the line.

Graham

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:44 pm      Reply with quote

Thank you Archer.
European Archery traditions up to 500AD, would be a fair comment.
But basically it's a group of reenactment Bowmen who get together for a shoot & to have fun.
Archer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:48 pm      Reply with quote

Would it also be fair to say the use of horse [recurve] and Crossbows. As both were known to have been used by the Romans, Tribes of the Eurasian Steppes, Chinese, etc.

Graham

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:38 pm      Reply with quote

[quote="Ancient one"]Great Effort, Claudius.
It's refreshing to see a Classical Bow and Arrow group on the north Shore that focusses on Historical Periods earlier than the High Middle Ages and on Archers other than the redoubtable Yeomen of Agincourt (bit of a cliche now, that, isn't it?).

The "bit of a cliche" part depends on whether or not you can actually draw a bow of that weight. I didn't, and don't find the training required to draw 120+ plus pounds cliched in the least...
Archer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:31 pm      Reply with quote

To a certain degree I agree with Bodkin with regard the "Cliche", however as a person who uses a lighter poundage Longbow, and will never reach 120lb draw, mostly due to the condition of my 60 year old body, so am at this stage will content myself to be the best Combat Archer I can, and tend to look more at learning as much as I can on the History of Archery. However I very much hope that the Archers of the Company of the Sable Hart would not be coming to training each week just because they feel they must, but are there to enjoy themselves, and not just because of the Archery, but also enjoy being in the Company of like minded people, otherwise they are probably wasting their time.

There is another reason that people choose to participate in a particular era, e.g. 100 Years War, is because they do not restrict themselves to that era's archery, but also want to take part in that periods type of sword fighting, or they like that particular era's fashion, it can be any number of things that influence them.

So maybe the hayday of the longbow may not be such a cliche after all.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:47 pm      Reply with quote

[quote="bodkin"]
Ancient one wrote:
Great Effort, Claudius.

The "bit of a cliche" part depends on whether or not you can actually draw a bow of that weight. I didn't, and don't find the training required to draw 120+ plus pounds cliched in the least...

you getim!We are cliché now dude being able to shoot and draw 140 lbs and being 1 of 4 in new zealand to do so hummm time to move on I thing do you also want a 30lbs bow to join the reenacters dude ?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: