Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Reenactment Combat
NonHead-Blow Weapons Training

Ancient one
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:14 pm     NonHead-Blow Weapons Training Reply with quote

Friends, Romans, Countrymen
Legio II Avgvsta Sword Training for Romans and others commences this Sunday February 6th @ a Central Auckland Location (equally inconveniant for all Romans and friends). For further details contact Rob.
Artemis
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:32 am      Reply with quote

An Ideal Solution for those Reenactment Punters who are sick and tired of the grumbling neck pain and head aches, want to keep a couple of nerve cells of Grey Matter to Rub together in their Twilight Years, and can't afford to keep paying the exorbitant Osteopathic Bills to Sleezy Manipulation Doctors like Rob.
conal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:40 pm      Reply with quote

Alternatively...

Know the ways of many weapons.

...and the gladius is a functional weapon.
Robbo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:25 pm      Reply with quote

Robbo's thought for the day (in compliment to Conal's):

Those who don't train head blow, train leaving gaping wholes in their defense of the shoulders and upper torso. However, their lower torso and leg defense is enhanced.

Those who train exclusively for head blow have fantastic upper torso and head defense....but leave gaps in the defense of their lower torso's and legs, thus creating a weak point.

Those who train w fencing masks tend to focus on the face, again leaving holes in the lower defenses.

These are just my observations over the years both as an observer, a combatant and a marshal (amazing how much you pick up as marshalling - you see the best, worst and oddest in everyone lol). Anyway, therefore, isn't it wiser to train in all styles open to us here in NZ? By doing so you gain the benefits of all systems, the defense of your own body (and allies) can only enhance, not to mention your attack skills (increased angles, stances and strikes for example).

Again, just my thoughts, but each style we have available to us has strengths and weakness's. Conal says to know the ways of many weapons. I agree but would go one further. Know the way of many styles and become the best warrior you can be.

(Absolutely NO offence intended to those who have no desire to take part in other styles, tis just my opinion. Take it or leave it, throw it away if you don't like it, run with it if it works for you Very Happy )

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:45 am      Reply with quote

Choose one style. A real style ... and practise it. Lots.
Learn to control yourself, defend yourself and guard yourself.
Encourage your friends to do the same.

Don't play with the idiots who think that a harder hit is a better hit, and always aim to hit without being hit.

It's hardly rocket-science.
pmel018
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:44 am      Reply with quote

That about covers it Very Happy Smile Very Happy Smile
Phil
Victorius

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:51 am      Reply with quote

A visored helmet with no provision for fluke shots, a suspension harness and padded arming cap - even throat protection. That's my preference (of course, that's for horizontal strikes and face thrusts - probably no visor or throat protection needed for NAAMA Headblow? It can be done quite safely without it).

I used to think that NAAMA Headblow was dangerous, but with the right protection it is perfectly alright. Yet some find it scary, others have had concussion, so don't want to risk it.

And that's what I love about our various codes. We all find a way to perform the combat we love, and cater to all tastes. Those who wish to do non-headblow can find plenty of clubs who will cater for that, those who wish to do NAAMA Headblow can do the same, and those who wish to include more target and strike zones can too.

BONVM EST. AVE BELLONA. CARPE GLADIVM. PAX RE-ENACTICA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:36 am      Reply with quote

Victorius wrote:
I used to think that NAAMA Headblow was dangerous, but with the right protection it is perfectly alright. Yet some find it scary, others have had concussion, so don't want to risk it.

Ironically, I feel the opposite is true. I've seen some horrendous near misses and some nasty injuries to heads and faces in 'non' headblow combat. 99% of which are due to either a total lack of understanding as to where the point is actually going as they try to convolute their blow to miss the head, or a simple lack of ability to defend the head at need.

I'm happy to use your NAAMA headblow rules if they are on the table, but you won't catch me playing non-headblow again. No chance.

I stand by my former statement. Smile And would like to add that the more armour you throw on, the greater your chances of getting hurt become.
(If that seems an odd statement, think about it for a minute).

Nic
Victorius

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:12 pm      Reply with quote

Freebooter wrote:
Victorius wrote:

Ironically, I feel the opposite is true.

That's precisely my point though. I used to think it was unsafe, but no longer do so. I don't think there are too many fighting groups out there in NAAMA-land now who would prefer non-headblow to headblow.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:02 pm      Reply with quote

Capito Smile
Robbo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:20 pm      Reply with quote

Got to agree. More armor seems like an excuse for people to hit you harder. I don't see this as part of what we're about. Hence my earlier statement. Realistically, it should go hand in hand with what both Conal and Nic say. Learn a weapon to the best of your ability. Move onto the style that best compliments that weapon and study it to it's fullest potential. If you've mastered both those, no mean feat in and of itself, move onto another.

The greatest, and most fun, martial arts class I ever attended was held by a 6th dan. He spent over 2 hours teaching how to perform a single punch. A basic reverse punch actually. To this day I still feel I haven't mastered that punch due to that one class lol. Mr. Green

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:20 pm      Reply with quote

Quote:
Got to agree. More armor seems like an excuse for people to hit you harder.

Well it is, isn't it?
The issue doesn't come from the armour itself as much as the headspace it puts people into. Add to that the simple fact that if you're going harder and you hit an un-armoured spot, it's always nasty.

Solution? Learn to defend yourself first, learn to wear armour second, and learn to fight in it a distant third.

Just my opinion.

N
BigMac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:17 pm      Reply with quote

Freebooter wrote:

Don't play with the idiots who always aim to hit without being hit.

wot you mean like those who adhere to george silvers true place style of fighting Laughing Wink

TTFN

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:18 pm     Armour is only meant to stop Reply with quote

the attacks that you didn't catch.

If you are studying a martial art, then you must understand that you will get hit. That's part of the game. That means that if you are studying a 'fencing' art (whether it is with a rapier, a longsword, a side sword, or anything else), then you should first learn to provide your deFENCE first and your skill at hitting the other guy secondly.

If you are looking to put on a show, the best rule I ever heard from a professional fight choreographer was this. Make your attacks FAKE, but make your defense REAL.

Over here on this side of the pond I work at teaching my students that the only reason that you get hit in a fight is because you have lost control of yourself and your defence. I do Renaissance faires here in California and I run into this kind of problem quite often. armour is only there to catch the attacks that you missed with your sword or movement.

The Beginner's Guide to the Long Sword
Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:46 pm      Reply with quote

BigMac wrote:
Freebooter wrote:

Don't play with the idiots who always aim to hit without being hit.

wot you mean like those who adhere to george silvers true place style of fighting Laughing Wink

TTFN

I don't appreciate being mis-quoted, mike. It isn't cool.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: