Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Metal, Wood, Bone, Glass
Good book for a VERY beginer blacksmith

Terme

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:31 pm     Good book for a VERY beginer blacksmith Reply with quote

I recently borrowed a book written by a guy with over 60 yrs experience in smithing unfortunatly this was written at the end of his 60ys experience and for someone new to the craft reads like a techinal novel aka I cant understand most of what is said

does anyone have any suggestions on reading/whatever else.. Material that I can use to learn from.....
Hobdid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:04 pm      Reply with quote

I recommend "The Complete Metalsmith" - http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=kriZx5ucLZsC&dq=complete+metalsmith&hl=en&ei=LTYoTZ_nNIq4sAPIpMXeBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAQ. It is aimed at jewellery-makers (which is why I have it) but the information would equally apply to novice projects on a larger scale.
thornforge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:02 am      Reply with quote

What was the book you read??

Percy Blandford's "Practical Blacksmithing and Metalworking" is fairly intensive, with lots of toolmaking etc, but he has written many lighter beginner books as well. One is just called "Blacksmithing Projects", or something along those lines, this is however included in one of the larger books.

The Complete Modern Blacksmith, by Alexander G. Weygers
is a good intro, but probably better to loan than to buy, especially if you are concentrating on historical blacksmithing.

Good luck, and if you have any specific questions just ask.
Terme

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:02 pm      Reply with quote

Creative metal by len gale was the first one need just a simple book with basic projects pref tool I can use later Smile thanks to you all for the replys I look forward to getting into this.
Terme

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:22 am      Reply with quote

I found a good book online shows simple projects on making your first tools, only prob is it uses the tools to make the tools Confused

http://www.webpal.org/SAFE/aaarecovery/6_pioneer_methods/Basic_Blacksmithing.pdf
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: