Search

Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Reenactment Combat
Two teeth knocked out and a bloody face for the public.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

conal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:49 am     Two teeth knocked out and a bloody face for the public. Reply with quote

Morning all,

Does anyone know who the head foot marshall was for the taupo tournet and when we can expect to review the accident report for the axident that occurred?

conal.
Víkarr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:22 pm     Re: Two teeth knocked out and a bloody face for the public. Reply with quote

I think Andrew would be the best person to ask about that and I'm not sure he is on this forum. Are you referring to the injury Fungus recieved on the Saturday?

V.

Maybe someone should be doing an injury report for that horse while they're at it....

conal wrote:
Morning all,

Does anyone know who the head foot marshall was for the taupo tournet and when we can expect to review the accident report for the axident that occurred?

conal.

Last edited by Víkarr on Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dreyrugr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:10 pm      Reply with quote

1st day of fighting I believe there was Rob, Warren and maybe Andrew.
I dont remember seeing anyone else.

2nd day Myself , Rob & Andrew. I helped throughout the day but not in the head blow rounds because I participated.

The Norseman set up a boundry for fighting over by the tents where they continued headblow. I believe they mostly marshelled that fighting.

Warren marshelled the tournies over by the encampment. ( womens, head blow,non head blow)

Cheers Te

Medieval
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:06 pm      Reply with quote

Posting on behalf of Conal:

Yes and Yes to those questions Victor.

What I would like is for the incident report to appear prior to any
commentry from me.

So I'll let you know the details when I've got the full story.

I'll try and russle Andrew up from the order of the Lance site then,
ta!
Rebecca

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:26 pm      Reply with quote

Medieval Posted on behalf of Willz:

Hey guys, I'm responsible for Darryls booboo. Bloody hated it too!
Warren marshalled both injuries, in my case, the sword started as a crown shot (as it should!!!!!), but got deflected during the descent (as soon as that happened my mind went F?*K! Slow the damn thing down you fool!!!)

Bought Darryl a dozen beer afterwards (talked him up from 6!)

In Franush's case, I spoke to the injured party last weekend at Tatum, and HIS words were: "it was my fault"

Describe scene: headblow combat, dane axe coming down for crown shot (as it should be!!!) 2/3 to 3/4 of the way through the swing injuree takes a half step straight back and looks up. With open face helm. Nuff said.

btw Franush was the one to take him up to the hospital and make sure he'd be ok.
Patch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:51 pm      Reply with quote

Is there a way we can avoid these kind of injuries for the future?
Víkarr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:30 pm      Reply with quote

Rebecca wrote:
Medieval Posted on behalf of Willz:
..in my case, the sword started as a crown shot (as it should!!!!!), but got deflected during the descent (as soon as that happened my mind went F?*K! Slow the damn thing down you fool!!!)

Where did the sword get deflected to and what did it actually end up hitting in this injury?
Anna Cruse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:39 am      Reply with quote

I'd be happy to teach anyone who cares to learn a good technique for stopping the uncontrolled forward drift of a weapon, the kind of which results in these injuries.
Other examples are shots to the shoulder which are "flinched" into the head, or shots to the back which are "jumped back into". The one injured should learn better reflexes, but we in NAAMA have a rule that a person must have control of their weapon AT ALL TIMES, so those that injure in this way are always at fault. (This does not cover situations where one draws the other's weapon into themselves, which is a different situation entirely, and not described in the discussion of the injuries sustained.)

Bring back NAAMA rules: such control should be demonstrable by a combatant, using their weapon of choice, and mandatory. A bruise should be worth an apology, a hospital/dentist trip should be cause for shame.
Bring back marshals who can tell people to suck it in or get off the field. There is no competition in our pastime worth someone's blood.

As an aside point: I don't think Joe Public wants to take their kiddies to a bloody brawl. Jousting appeals as much to a romantic ideal of a Golden Age as it does to hardcore sports fans (not all of whom wish to see the experts hurt, either). Certainly, the former is what drives councils. We won't have a public face if the public gets turned off.

Anna
conal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:31 am      Reply with quote

Gidday,

Stand by for "Ranting Conal".

"In Franushs case, I spoke to the injured party last weekend at Tatum, and HIS words were: "it was my fault""

Will, this blaming the victim and it ain't right. I've talked with Damien and you've quoted him out of context.

Frank stepped back as the blow landed and there are at least two independent witnesses to confirm this.

A backwards step would draw the strike shallow, this combined with, a reflex shy from the opponent would result in the injury.

Our Marshalls let us down too because there is no way that a non mouthguarded individual should have been allowed on the paddock with an open face helm when the head bangers are out there.

"Its a rough sport" is a total cop out and I'm surprised Andrew would come out with such a statement. I'm guessing he had a lot on, but there ya go.

Do not mistake ill-discipline for intensity.

The only means of accident prevention that we have in this sport is peer review guys. So lets just acknowledge where we screwed up and lift our game a bit ay?

Marshall's, stop leaning so hard on those sticks and communicate.

Combatants, Safety, then have fun.

thas all,

conal.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:29 am      Reply with quote

The rest of this topic has been split off into a seperate thread in the NAAMA and General Discussion forum. This thread had wandered miles off topic.

So if you wish to further discuss the original injury, by all means, please do so.

Admin
Njal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:59 am      Reply with quote

Hjatt,

In the ten years I have been involved with steel combat I have received two injurys that would I would considered dangerous. The first in 1999 where I was stabded in the eye - I am now partly blind in this eye and it gets progresivly worse the older I get.

The second was at the Taupo Great Lakes Tourney of 2006. At this event I was engaged in a saex or knife fight where I received a thrust to my throat that left a lump in it for the remainder of the weekend and affectdd my speech. I use a chainmail aventail with a thick leather lining which had I not been using would have resulted with me ending up in hospital.

So my question is; Conal did you fill in an accident report for the very serious injury given to me by yourself? No less than an intentional thrust to the throat with significant force behind it.

Bles
conal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:02 pm      Reply with quote

I'm sorry I hurt you Njarl.
Jonanthebarbarian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:08 am      Reply with quote

[The first in 1999 where I was stabded in the eye - I am now partly blind in this eye and it gets progresivly worse the older I get. ]

So much for the safety of headblow combat, AND the concern for other people's safety by continuimg to expose other combatants to your deteriorating sight condition. Hjatt!

I'll keep an eye out for ya, next time mate.

Jonanthebarbarian. Wink
Njal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:38 am      Reply with quote

Thats alright I don't really care Conal I was chopping a knife into your head at the same time. Seems likely that someones going to get hurt. I just wanted to stir.

Pity when I was stabbed in the eye it was a non-head blow event ah nithing?
conal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:46 am      Reply with quote

Cool.
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: