Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Textiles, Garb and Jewelery
Drop Spindles

Gregor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:26 pm     Drop Spindles Reply with quote

A local wood turner has started making some very nice drop spindles for sale.They are made from various native timbers so they are not "period" as such ,but they are very nice to look at. I will put a link to his website when he has some pictures up. There is also the possibility that I could bring some to NAMAA. Anybody interested?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:35 pm      Reply with quote

I am very interested, but sadly, won't be at NAAMA this year.

Interested in the link, or any pictures.

*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*
Rebecca

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:45 pm      Reply with quote

Have they been tested by someone who drop spins??
I had a couple made for me that were weighted wrong and were very had to use!
Gregor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:21 pm      Reply with quote

The wood turner works out of the back of a local craft shop. On Saturday a women that works at the local museum and used to demonstrate drop spindle at the Yorvik centre in York was using one. She seemed to be having no problem. The spindles are being made at the suggestion of local spiners so I would think any bugs will be sorted out before he starts selling them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:48 pm      Reply with quote

Thats great!! In that case they should be good!!
TabbyPossum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:06 pm      Reply with quote

I found a guy in one of the markets in Wellington who made some sample drop spindles for me. Unfortunately the markets haven't been doing so well and he has stopped turning up. Good to see another supply
Hobdid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:01 pm      Reply with quote

I am interested & will be at NAAMA ... also used to live in York, love that place.
Colin & Lynlee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:42 pm     spindles Reply with quote

I did a Uni assignment a few years ago on spinning and it's history. If you are portraying a poor person, or most spinners pre 600AD, a simple rock of nice shape (but not too smooth) is pretty authentic for drop spinning. You will have a lot of problems using authentic sizes and shapes for drop spinning as the smaller, shaped ones of earlier periods were for spinning VERY fine cotton and silk etc. These were used the other way up from drop spindles as the end rested in a bowl to prevent the weight breaking the thread. Indian ladies in the days of the Pharos could spin half a million yards from each pound of cotton. This was actually too fine to spin by sight, it was done by feel. The fabric woven was so light that 7 layers were still see-through. It is physically impossible to do this quality of work by machine.
PS treadle spinning wheels were not acceptable either until well into the 17th C as they were deemed to produce too poor a quality. The first wheels were spun by walking backwards and forward with the weight of the wheel providing momentum from a good push with the hand.
Naturally, even for the drop spindle, if you spin linen you need a distaff to wrap it onto first to give the correct draw. I don't reccomen using linen, even for display as the fine dust produced when spinning and weaving it damages the lungs. It must be worked wet or with a mask - neither are great in a display and linen is hardly worth the trouble to do at home. I have used it once and won't again.
Lynlee

ladywarriorofthebluemists

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:25 pm      Reply with quote

Hello,
yes, I'm interested and will be at NAAMA.
Thanks!
Lizzi Very Happy

Liz Thompson now writing as Lizzi Tremayne
Blog: http://bluemistlizzi.wordpress.com
Twitter: LizziTremayne
Facebook: LizziTremayne
Email: liz@bmevc.co.nz
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: