Search

Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Armouring & Weapon Smithing
Putting a fencing mask mesh to a kettle helm...

Mad Jim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:25 pm     Putting a fencing mask mesh to a kettle helm... Reply with quote

Ok just a thought, has anybody tried to put fencing mask mesh on a kettle helm?, I was thinking that you could hook on a fabricated mesh peice to the helm for removal, or maybe fix it in place..
I had thought you could almost drop the kettle straight over a mask, but then you would need a rather large helm.
I have seen the SCA versions with the grills , but they look ugly.
I suppose it would be best to have one fixed in place, or just to get a full faced helm (the other option)..
If I could sort something or someone knows how to go about it, it could save me from getting another helm, as I like my Chapel de fer so yea any thoughts?.
cheers..

ps. I have a couple of ideas that may work, if I draw them up and figure out how to get them on here I'll put them up for critisium..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:18 pm      Reply with quote

I put mesh onto my viking spectacled helm, which is not far off the same problem. I put mesh over the spectables and used their frame for support. I covered the rest of the head by welding up a light-weight sub-frame covering the rest of my head and attached the chain avontail to the frame so that any combat arrow impacting anywhere on the chain didn't penetrate because the chain was fixed in place. From the outside you can't see the subframe and it looks like any other avontail.

I know someone else who fitted a large piece of mesh to a normal nasel helm by bending a large eye-shaped piece around the front to cover his whole face and ears and wearing a thickly padded arming cap to protect the back of his head.

There are ways to do it. You just need to make sure that you're supporting any large areas of mesh either by using heavy mesh that can support itself or with some sort of secure frame.

Any framing you make could be made removable. Consider drilling and tapping a number of holes around the brim of the helm, through which a frame could be bolted onto the helmet or removed in a couple of minutes with a screwdriver.

Nigel
Mad Jim

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:17 pm      Reply with quote

Any framing you make could be made removable. Consider drilling and tapping a number of holes around the brim of the helm, through which a frame could be bolted onto the helmet or removed in a couple of minutes with a screwdriver....yea cheers I did think about this particular way of doing it..
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: