Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Historical Combat
Solthurner Fectbucht

Carl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:24 am     Solthurner Fectbucht Reply with quote

http://www.alliancemartialarts.com/solthurner3.html

has anyone else seen this, appears to be a new fectbucht by a unknown author, similar to Talhoffer but some different techniques.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:28 pm      Reply with quote

New one on me.

Smile
Mad Jim

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:30 pm      Reply with quote

Nice a new fechtbuch.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:45 pm      Reply with quote

Nice stuff basic to the point can be seen in some modern military knife work

Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:41 am      Reply with quote

Not really a new discovery, that has been on Petes site for a number of years Shocked The interpretation of even such a basic text is still debated, nonetheless it is an excellent entry point into dagger work; and is one of the few to show ANY use of the edge. Take a copy of the original, don't worry about Petes interpretation and have a play your self, then have a look at Talhoffer or one of the others to see what it can be built into.

As for the comment regards military knife work, perhaps you could be more specific????
Phil
Carl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:44 pm      Reply with quote

do you have a link to the original

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:33 am      Reply with quote

No I don't have a link to the originals, my copy came off a much earlier incarnation of the Alliance site.
If you are doing a search try "Solothurner Fechtbuch", not even the name is correctly transcribed. Jason Vail produced a reasonable compilation on dagger play "Medieval and Renaissance Dagger Combat" ISBN978-1-58160-517-4, Paladin Press. It is not without is flaws but does give a clear and comprehensive overview, and a useful bibliography.
Phil
Hawkwind™

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:03 am      Reply with quote

If you have an electronic copy of the original you could post it here (hint hint) Wink
Mad Jim

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:39 am      Reply with quote

Jason Vails book is all good, though you can really see the Asian arts influence within his work, other than that I have found it to be fairly easy to follow..worth putting in the library.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:00 pm      Reply with quote

Asain Arts influence? Perhaps you would care to point out where.
There are a number of interpretive issue within the book, most obviously the lack of movement when applying the techniques but overtly Asian influences?
Just because something looks like a technique popularised in an asain martial art does not exclude it from European practice, you need to look at the sources, and here Jason Vail shines, he has an extensive bibliography, and unlike some of the other authours produced by Paladin, he appears to have actually consulted some of them.
Carl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:22 am      Reply with quote

Steve was always telling me that every culture with a martial history has a hip throw, the body will only move in certain ways.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: