Search

Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Historical Combat
The definition of WMA and its relationship to Sports etc.

Phil Berghan-Whyman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:24 pm     The definition of WMA and its relationship to Sports etc. Reply with quote

A question was raised re the relationship of Western Martial Arts (WMA) to Asian Martial Arts (AMA), reenactment and sports (e.g. olympic fencing, karate, judo etc). This thread is intended for discussion of this idea.

BROADLY SPEAKING: WMA is a developing body that combines historical research with attempts to physically recreate the fighting systems of medieval Europe.

AMAs
WMA and AMAs mostly share the professed goal of learning to fight with realistic technique and intent, though they differ in that WMA does not claim a lineage of instructors dating back to the founders of Western fighting systems (the reality of the claims of antique origins for many AMAs are often dubious, but not important to the point I am trying to make here). Some AMAs are run for financial gain and have developed into sports systems which place tournement fighting and performance for spectators above the practice of realistic fighting. In this respect WMA instructors (generally) are intent on understanding and redeveloping lost European martial arts, and in maintaining their integrity as a historiographic practice. (Disclaimer: not all AMAs are impracticle and/or lack integrity, and sports/demonstration fighting does require skill and practice).

REENACTMENT
WMA differs from reenactment in a number of ways, the most important here in NZ being the difference in focus. Reenactment combat is about safe enjoyable combat, and though comparitive levels of historical accurancy differ. It is fair to say that realistic technique must suffer because realisitic techniques were designed to kill people, and killing your friends is bad form (even when they perform some silly technique and hit you on the fingers). Reenactment requires its own set of skills and techniques that can flourish with attention and practice.

SPORT
WMA could broadly be classified as a sport, as it is a pursuit with an athletic character engaged in for enjoyment and recreation (OED referenced for definition). WMA has an intellectual as well as a physical aspect (which other sports also share at a professional and competitive level). I'd agree with WMA being a sport with the disclaimer that 'just because it is a sport, does not mean that its practices are therefore able to be engaged in without attention to safety and to the dangers inherent in using weapons and fighting techniques. Just as a head high rugby tackle can permanantly injure, so can a careless sword blow or wrestling technique.

WMA could cetainly go the way of other professional sports; however this would require the art to become less lethally focused, and hence to lose its professed goal of being a realistic treatment of historical techniques. Just as Judo removed many of the lethal and crippling techniques from Ju Jitsu, so Sports WMA would have techniques for the same reason. My opinion is that this would be a shame and really a derailing of WMA as it currently stands.

Thats by 2 cents.

Colin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:53 pm     Re: The definition of WMA and its relationship to Sports etc Reply with quote

Phil Berghan-Whyman wrote:

BROADLY SPEAKING: WMA is a developing body that combines historical research with attempts to physically recreate the fighting systems of medieval Europe.

A wee bit too broad even for me, I'm afraid. Firstly the historical research is broader than medieval Europe. Certainly the earliest we can currently go is medieval Europe, but there are a few centuries between the Middle Ages and the modern era.

(If we're extremely lucky older texts maybe around. I'm aware of a small fragment of wrestling from the ancient Greek world - in Pankration by Jim Arvanitis)

Secondly not all forms of WMA died out. Jogo de pau, and various other stick fighting methods continue to survive, and now with the internet making a come back Cool

In this respect WMA instructors (generally) are intent on understanding and redeveloping lost European martial arts, and in maintaining their integrity as a historiographic practice.

This is particularly true even for Living Traditions.

SPORT
WMA could broadly be classified as a sport, as it is a pursuit with an athletic character engaged in for enjoyment and recreation (OED referenced for definition).

By this definition I'm forced to agree with you. Personally I don't view WMA as sport fighting. Sport fighting is about fighting to the rules, and taking advantage of such. At least that's my cynical view of it Laughing

WMA could cetainly go the way of other professional sports; however this would require the art to become less lethally focused, and hence to lose its professed goal of being a realistic treatment of historical techniques. Just as Judo removed many of the lethal and crippling techniques from Ju Jitsu, so Sports WMA would have techniques for the same reason. My opinion is that this would be a shame and really a derailing of WMA as it currently stands.

What a nightmare! If WMA went that way, I'd rename what I do and continue to do it anyway.
knight of magdalene
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:43 pm      Reply with quote

Quote:
WMA could cetainly go the way of other professional sports; however this would require the art to become less lethally focused, and hence to lose its professed goal of being a realistic treatment of historical techniques

I believe and agree with the thoughts that a suitable kit should be able to protect the sports person from death and injury. The matter is for example a stomp to the knee will popit out and there is no way then to do a full blow to this area, unless the kit was designed to take that punishment. There is no way to thrust into the eyes or to pluck them out, nor a way to fully blow to the spine etc. The kit being worked towards might provide this solution.
Phil Berghan-Whyman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:12 pm      Reply with quote

Protective kit is all good, however I believe that the levels of power and the lethality of intent behind properly formed and delivered strikes is beyond the capacity of armour to fully protect people.

If you examine SCAs heavy fighting then you see hi impact blows being thrown and sufficiently absorbed by armour, so that no real injury is likely; however, SCA fighters only throw blows in their mid-power range and with two handed weapons avoid sweeping arcs that would overpower their shots. This is because they understand the limitations of armoured protection and want to avoid serious concussive injuries. The SCA also prohibits the use of wrestling techniques, again due to the chance of injury.

Having done some of Fiore's wrestling techniques, I can reasonably say that wearing armour would be of limited use against some of those techniques. I think in particular of techniques designed to break a persons neck or back through rapid dislocation of vertebrae.

I have no doubt that high density foams and high impact plastics would significantly reduce the number of injuries, but anything goes combat is still out of the question. Certain techniques could not be allowed in open assault, and therefore the results are skewed away from reality into the realm of sports (playing to the rules).

Finally, the type of equipment being suggested would be fantastic as an aid to training and to allow the assault to be practiced, but one needs to realise that safe fully-realistic full-speed no holds barred WMA combat is likely impossible.

Phil Berghan-Whyman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:32 pm      Reply with quote

Happy to concede those points Colin.

Quote:
By this definition I'm forced to agree with you. Personally I don't view WMA as sport fighting. Sport fighting is about fighting to the rules, and taking advantage of such. At least that's my cynical view of it

You old cynic you! Very Happy

I am reminded of a martial arts bout I once saw where one fighter was a kungfu blackbelt and was also active with the NZ army and S.A.S., while the other fighter was a nationals level tai kwan do champion and also a kungfu blackbelt. The SAS guy would take the first hit and then take the other fighter to the ground into a killing position. A real fight would have been over after two moves; however, the rules made grappling and groundfighting illegal. The SAS guy was so drilled on fighting in a realistic manner that he was in effect giving a point away and then fowling his opponent and causing a restart. The tai kwan do guy (who was a acquaintance of mine) said afterwards that he knew the other fighter and knew what to expect, so he had played to the rules of the bout knowing he would take a few bruises but win on the technicalities.

All that said, I love watching boxing and sport fighting. Some people make playing to the rules look good.

Colin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:56 pm      Reply with quote

If done correctly, fully-realistic full speed, almost no holds barred WMA combat is possible (IMHO). The problem arises when people panic and are stricken by fear. One of the mistakes is to let people assault far too early in their training. The correct defences are not used...they start trying to block or turn their heads to flee. Neither tactic works (unless you're Cobb for the latter). Competence in the principles of the system must be achieved before taking up the assault.

I've got a Victorian book on stick fighting in which the author exhorts instructors not to spare lessons in pain on their students (I forget the exact wording). Essentially it forces the students to get their defences against the particular offences correct in drills before they take up the assault.

However I'm taking a multi-prong approach to the whole assault. There are assaults with shinai with little protection. Shinai will sting, and it can even drive the mesh of fencing masks back onto the wearer (leaving a nice mesh pattern on the face), but it rarely does anything worse. I'm interested in upping the stakes with something like wooden wasters (or aluminium) with padded protection, and finally steel with the full monty. All three have their defects. Shinai bounce horribly, wooden wasters don't move through air correctly, and steel is unforgiving should you stuff up.

I should point out, like parrying, armour (and shields) should be used for deflection, and not blocking. Blocking just causes the armour to deform horribly, as I proved with Nick down in Wellington. His armour compromised, my attack did not.

If I ever get my book finished, I hope to put down all the physics equations pointing out the folly of blocking. I suspect it will cause a furore, but science is on my side Twisted Evil
Phil Berghan-Whyman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:24 pm      Reply with quote

Quote:
If done correctly, fully-realistic full speed, almost no holds barred WMA combat is possible (IMHO)...steel is unforgiving should you stuff up... Blocking just causes the armour to deform horribly....

Not to be pedantic, but this is basically my point. Full no holds barred combat isn't possible, armour won't protect you well enough to allow people to simply go at it without some concern for safety. Part of that concern is making sure the people 'playing' are properly trained and don't rely on high tech solutions to keep them alive, another part is disallowing some techniques because they can't be done safely at speed regardless of armour and protective devices.

On a pre-modern battlefield one was only concerned with their safety, their friend's safety, and with victory; but as a hobby WMA must be practiced with concern for your partner (even as you attempt to hammer them into the ground). That concern for safety determines the allowable techniques, and is an area WMA has in common with sports and reenactment. We can try and be as realistic as possible but the goal of total reenactment and complete accuracy is unobtainable outside of science fiction (The Matrix or a Holodeck).

Thinking that full recreation combat is possible is dangerous and will lead to someone getting killed. It also leads to the situation you have where some obviously tournament based martial arts systems claim to be fully realistic street fighting systems. These people have convinced themselves that what they are doing is real and it has prevented them from acknowledging the flaws in their arts.

As Colin said, "almost no holds barred WMA combat is possible" but almost is the limit and I beleive the almost needs to be kept firmly in mind.

Colin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:35 am      Reply with quote

Regarding assaulting and sparring rules, a student produced the following ideas:

http://www.swordsmanship.co.nz/forums/viewtopic.php?t=159

Out of curiousity are you lot down in Wellington trying to integrate some medieval HEMA techniques into re-enactment combat? I'd be curious to see it some time if you are. While I appreciate the vast majority of techniques target re-enactment illegal areas, it would be interesting to see what you lot have synthesised.

I seem to have been responsible for a conversion in SCA rapier up here Laughing
quentin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:22 pm     2 more cents worth Reply with quote

To be REALLY pedantic - what we do at events isn't strictly reenactment anyway.

Reenactment means to recreate the events of a specific time & place.
(to: act out events)

So, we would have to define the days combat as (eg) " a small scirmish on the left flank of the route march of King Henry X's advance on the city of Y in 1503, March". If we defined a specific battle then we would have to define sides and the correct side would always win. Correct period weopons only, and period tactics and command stucture would be used.
Hobbists do this at Battle Abbey near Hastings every year and the Normans always win. (often with much difficulty! Confused )

That's not what we do.

I don't know quite how to describe what we do do (martial play in costume?) but I certainly wouldn't ever call it WMA either!

TOLD YOU I was being pedantic !! Smile

Laughing

(we do have WMA practitioners in NZ - you know who you are! but as you all know you can't truely do WMA properly at eg NAAMA...much as a few dead bodies might be an improvement ! Smile )

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:08 pm     I agree! Reply with quote

Hi Quentin,

thanks for writing this first - I felt like pointing out the same obvious (?) fact! I guess we in New Zealand tend to use the term 're-enactment' a bit less specific that in its original meaning (Collinwood, anyone?)..

Wink
Colin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:47 am     Re: 2 more cents worth Reply with quote

quentin wrote:
To be REALLY pedantic - what we do at events isn't strictly reenactment anyway.

True, but it's for wont of a more accurate label. I quite like someone else's term "Creative re-enactment".

quentin wrote:
(we do have WMA practitioners in NZ - you know who you are! but as you all know you can't truely do WMA properly at eg NAAMA...much as a few dead bodies might be an improvement ! Smile )

Given NAAMA has no historical standards* it would be entirely possible wear sufficient safety gear to do WMA at NAAMA, but it would contravene the rules somewhat quickly.

It was probably more accident than design, but the theatrical fencing is probably the best system for people at NAAMA to do anyway. It was designed to be martially ineffective. Fight choreographers did not want their actors getting injured on stage. Something illuminated to me when I spent some time with the Australian Stage Fighting Actors guild (it's the wrong name, the name has slipped from memory, the acronym reads aloud 'Safety'.)

* Or at least when I could be still bothered with it. Maybe it has changed in the interim.

See http://www.swordsmanship.co.nz/
Colin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:51 am     Re: I agree! Reply with quote

Chevalier wrote:
Hi Quentin,
I guess we in New Zealand tend to use the term 're-enactment' a bit less specific that in its original meaning (Collinwood, anyone?)..

It depends, there are definite reenactment groups out there like the 65th Regiment ("The Bengal Tigers") who reenact events 1860 - 1863. There's the WWII guys, and in Oamaru there's a pretty strong Victorian re-enactment group. The latter currently don't do any combat re-enactment.

See http://www.swordsmanship.co.nz/
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: