Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Historical Combat
Bartitsu Training Day

pmel018
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:44 am     Bartitsu Training Day Reply with quote

Hi Guys
have had a bit of a quiet spell since SWASH.However was put in contact with Martin Austwick who runs the English Martial Arts Academy http://www.englishmartialarts.com/index.php. his group has started running one day seminars on a wide spectrum of WMA topics. I missed the first one due to SWASH but was able to book for the Bartitsu day.
For those who don't know, Bartitsu was a compilation of English boxing, savate kicking, Vigny cane work, Ju jitsu and some (mainly) Swiss wrestling. This was all developed by E.W. Barton -Wright late in the 19th century and into the 20th. It was taught in London until about 1903 when, due to Barton-Wrights poor busness practices, the club was closed.
For more information see http://www.bartitsu.org/ run by Tony Wolf.

The days training was rin by James Marwood, who I have trained with a number of times over the last three years. After a brief warmup we covered striking with the closed fist, bare knuckle style, followed by striking Atemi style. This led into some work with the ju-jitsu portion of the syllabus, working on disrupting balance and working at very clos distances. The stick fighting section followed utilising material from Vigny and Cunningham, to round the day off we looke at the historical techniques in a 21century context as viable self defense. A very enjoyable and instructive day.
me ready for the stick fighting section

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: