Search

Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> NAAMA & General Discussion
How important is it to be part of a club?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

To what extent are you part of a club?
I often participate in regular club activities
59%
 59%  [ 22 ]
I occasionally participate in regular club activities
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
I am a club member but do not participate in regular club activities
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
I have no club affiliations at all (independent)
18%
 18%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 37

Gaius Drustanus
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:45 am      Reply with quote

Actually, the whole discussion about Clubs made me reflect further about the grievances I, myself, have about clubs.

I have a daughter who now lives in Wellington (recently married) and because of my interest in Ancient and Medieval History she got involved in sword clubs back in her late adolescence.
She was also a founder member of the Second Legion Augusta in the 1990s.

However because of the Social Stigma inflicted on the Roman movement, she did not stay with her fathers club but another group, that seemed more "cool" and socially prestigous.

I won't describe subsequent events in detail because the Mod Squad would no doubt describe that as "personal attack". But you would, today, be hard pressed to get her to say a good thing about Medieval reenactment.

Particularly the interpersonal and social "politics" of a certain un-named, well known club (which now has a completely different Administration). So by no means are clubs always benign. In this example the cut is quite "close to home".

More than just an Independent, she has left the movement Entirely. This causes me sadness because the opportunity to share my enthusiasm within my own family has been squandered by club politics (external and internal).
That's why it can be beneficial to choose to belong to several clubs, to have a choice around avoiding those groups that can function like a gang or a cult.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:14 pm      Reply with quote

Amazing girl your daughter. Despite the injuries she's had (and still has afaik), she's still kicked my ass a few times and reminded me of the reasons I swear women are by far the more vicious of the species. Also taught me a thing or two.

Hope and trust Mr. York looks after her. Smile

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:31 pm      Reply with quote

Acrually both both my girls are Exceptional in their own individuals ways. Her sister just graduated as Senior Scholar in Biological Sciences at the University of Auckland.
Don't even start me on my Son, Nathaniel, starship trooper par extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:34 pm      Reply with quote

Gaius Drustanus wrote:

Sadly there is a fourth Group of participants. These are "Saboteurs". Consciously or subconsciously, these slime join a group and have the effective outcome, sooner or later, of wreeking Havoc.

Must be something wrong with me. I actually agree with Rob. Shocked

On independents:

Interestingly, I know of a couple of clubs that in reality are nothing more than an affiliation of national independents.

Trust is an amazing thing. I rarely get the chance to train with all the members of the Daggers (for example), but I'd trust any and every last one of them with my life. I also know some members in various clubs I wouldn't trust with damned near anything.

As in all things, your mileage may vary of course, but in general I tend to agree with most folks. Belonging to a club, having an affiliation, provides benefits that can't be overlooked. Being independent these days is more of a way of saying you/we/I'm sick of the politics these days. Razz

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:36 pm      Reply with quote

Didn't even know you had 2 girls Rob...you man of mystery you. Smile

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:48 pm      Reply with quote

So perhaps we should call Nick's club: "The League of Extraordinary Independents"?

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:35 pm      Reply with quote

I'm independent. Have been for ages. I resent any accusation that I might be freeloading on the time of others. I am prepared to bust ass for any event I happen to go to and I will not push anyone for time they are not prepared to give. Some people, myself included, have good reason for their independence and the majority of those I have met work hard to earn their keep when attending any functions and events and they deserve a little respect rather than these grand sweeping claims that independent people are somehow robbing you of your time. I've got a lot of respect for you guys who have been in this thing for a good long while, lets endeavour to make that a mutual thing ay?
Ben_sutton

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:02 am      Reply with quote

Also, I recognise that any statements I make here are not going to change anyones mind. All I'm saying is that there is a whole lot of good that comes from clubs, but we do some good too. And at the end of the day the community as a whole is made up for the most part of good people, weather they have affiliations or not. There are occassionaly dangerous bastards out there who spoil it for the rest of us, and yes, I will conceed that they will frequently end up as independants before finally fading away completely, but that is only because the clubs have finally shaken themselves free of them. The Key here really, is that we are "Independent" You can't tar us all with the same brush. We are individuals. Just the same as no one should state anything as broad sweeping as "all members of club x are arseholes" respect the individual, everything else will follow.
Anyad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:27 am      Reply with quote

Lovely to see that this thread has generated some good debate and conversation. But, as emotions are starting to get a passionate again please keep your language toned down and don't make personal attacks.

Thanks everyone.
D

*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*
Ben_sutton

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:39 am      Reply with quote

I apologise for my language in the preceeding statements. It was not my intention to be offensive in anyway, nor was it my intent to make any personal attacks. The example of "club x" was not intended to be a veiled insult, merely an example of how the statements made about independent people being dangerous could easily be turned on any club if someone were to have differences with one of their members. I do not have anything against any of the clubs, or for that matter anyone who has made comments here. I have the utmost respect for Rob and his contribution to the community, but this is why I feel somewhat hurt by a number of the statements which have been passed here. In any case, I do not intend to continue in this debate, I have stated my position, and hopefully despite my somewhat ham-handed approach in the statements I have made, my feelings on the matter will be clear.

Cheers heaps guys

Ben
Gaius Drustanus
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:29 am      Reply with quote

I certainly didn't take offensive. Perhaps some people take things personally that are not directed at any one in particularly but might indicate certain categories or instances.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:35 pm      Reply with quote

Robbo wrote:
Didn't even know you had 2 girls Rob...you man of mystery you. :)

obviously learnt his lesson the first time round didn't he :lol:

TTFN

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:41 pm      Reply with quote

Given that any inderpendant can start thier own club at the drop of a hat not even needing other members (which has happened in the past), I see the arguement of clubs vs indies as far as safety goes, moot.

Clubs can be good (or bad) but not to everyones taste and the same can be said for inderpendants.

personally I think the world is a better place with a little diversity.

my 2cents

TTFN

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:52 pm      Reply with quote

think i mite join club x.or at least poach a few members.as for clubs the only one id ever belong to are the NZN no politics or dramas in our camp boo frickity hoo
??Questions??

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:55 pm      Reply with quote

as alway not realy reading the 5 pages (gahhh) of stuff before i post my reply. (this helps keep topics in line and outa left field).

but i though i would just say that i attend club practices and workshops almost all the time. over the years i have found that this help me improve my skills as much as possible. as well as being able to help the newer members too, this is what i think being a club is all about; not just sticking together on and off the feild but also taking an active part in everyone learning =].

hope this helps

??Questions??

Page 5 of 5

Jump to: