Search

Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> NAAMA & General Discussion
How important is it to be part of a club?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

To what extent are you part of a club?
I often participate in regular club activities
59%
 59%  [ 22 ]
I occasionally participate in regular club activities
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
I am a club member but do not participate in regular club activities
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
I have no club affiliations at all (independent)
18%
 18%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 37

Víkarr

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:05 pm      Reply with quote

Gaius Drustanus wrote:
The advantage of belonging to a Club is what we call, in the medical professions, "Peer Review".

So Rob are you in effect stating that being involved in a group implies that you are a more safe combatant when it comes to interclub combat?

I am not so sure.

I have seen clubs that are very safety conscious, I have seen clubs that are more relaxed and I have seen clubs which when someone gets a hard hit the common response to just tell them to harden the f%#k up.

So, I am not sure that being involved in a club offers any more reassurance that some fighters are actually safer than someone who is outside of a club.

Another important thing to look at is if such an accident does occur how do the individuals involved deal with it. Do they drive the injured party to A&E? Do they apologuise? Do they blame? Do they buy a few drinks to make amends? Do they continue to fight on? Perhaps using the same weapon that caused the injury? Do they tell you to harden the f%#k up because they think you are a whining softc%#k???

Evaluation of how people deal with accidents is often more revealing than the circumstance the accident occurred under in the first place. Some people just don’t give a shit, some do. Different clubs have different mentalities so its not always straight forward but I would say safety consciousness is more a mentality that comes from the individual, who in turn is influenced by the club they may or may not be involved with.

If a club captain promotes competitiveness over safety then why expect their members to be any different? So being part of a club doesn’t necessarily mean individuals are any safer than anyone else.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:30 pm      Reply with quote

Course, that's not going to happen to anyone who is independent now is it? lol. Hmmm, nor if they belong to more than one club and/or social group.

I'd say Rob has a point in there somewhere. You train with a club, someone says you're good to go, you screw up...guess where the fingers point? Some clubs have bad reps just for such reason. Train with multiple clubs, all of whom are proud to certify your abilities, and something goes wrong? Probably going to be called an accident tbh. I think ...

However, given that almost every event held in NZ requires it's combatants to be judged safe by at least one club, preferably the cptn, you'd be hard pushed to go to events and reasonably expect to be allowed to fight if no one knows you, no one can vouch for you.

Having witnessed, first hand and several times, the results of such accidents and finger pointing, I personally prefer knowing the people I fight have been vetted. Most of the more serious injuries I've seen (or had) have come from people who weren't approved for either ability or weapon...and trust me, a trip to hospital sucks c%#k a lot worse than being told you need someone else's approval before you can go on the field.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:58 pm      Reply with quote

I can only speak for my own club and how I ideally visualise and promote it. It would be unethical (and hopefully incorrect) if I publically pointed the bone at clubs and their captains who have a more cavalier attitude to club safety and health issues. Some indeed might have mental health and drug abuse problems themselves but it would be improper to "out" them here on GD. And would possibly attract a lot more of finger wagging from haggisbane and the mod squad. Yawn!

Anyway most Punters with a year or two of experience know of whom we speak.

There is a whole another advantage for individual members that no one has thought of.

I have always taken a very proactive approach as club captain of the Second Legion Augusta to Cinema movie displays over the preceding decades going back to before "Gladiator".
In this way Members, Guests and friends of the Second Legion Augusta get a free night out with a free film ticket at the Movies (these cinema tickets can be quite pricey these days). Coming up is another Ridley Scott flick with Russell Crowe and we are 95 percent certain at the moment that we will get this display and be there.

Some venues also give us a comp pass to come back later for another screening and even free coffee, choc tops and pop corn.

A small perk to belonging to the Romans.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:16 am      Reply with quote

where was the "I'm a club slut" button?

TTFN

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:39 am      Reply with quote

BigMac wrote:
where was the "I'm a club slut" button?

TTFN

Hahahahahaha thats my button but you can push it all you want

the more clubs the better, it builds for more experience within all the clubs that member is involved in and closer friends on and off the field.
The only problem is choosing what side of the field to be on when having a good sized field battle Medieval

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:19 am      Reply with quote

Silver wrote:

The only problem is choosing what side of the field to be on when having a good sized field battle Medieval

I'd normally say choose the side likely to have the most fun and cause the most chaos...but any side you're on bro is likely to be that one anyway. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:39 am      Reply with quote

Personally I love being in a club and think that it can be nearly as much fun being solo.
Being part of a club means that I get a hard time if I don’t train at least once a week, that I get help and advice from several more experienced fighters if I’m having trouble and training with the same people every weekend I get to know there fighting styles well enough to understand grunts yelled from under helm in manic battle situations.
I also feel a rivalry with others in my club or previous members, wanting to get one up on the non combat side of things , the’re people to show off to that actually give a shit “look at this beautiful non bleached hand seen scandanivan linen tunic I’ve made”.
fellow club members are also very helpful when undertaking a mammoth project, id have never gotten around to building a tent on my own but now every Sunday before training me and a fellow club mate get together and work .

In conclusion I’m totally for um’
Medieval

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:15 pm      Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
“look at this beautiful non bleached hand seen scandanivan linen tunic I’ve made”.
Medieval

my mother always told me not to look with my hands Laughing

TTFN

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:48 pm      Reply with quote

The Advantage of belonging to our Club is that members (and friends) have the opportunity (due to a long term working relationship the Club has with Cinema management) at the end of this week to attend Opening Screenings of the new Ridley Scott movie, "Robin Hood" for free. At several cinemas if they wish.

Starring Russell Crowe and Kate Blanchett, I call It "Gladiator The Sequel: Maximus meets Gladreal".

I would be surprised if any Lone Maverick "Independent" would have the individual leverage to arrange such a Perk (and no, we don't go as Legionaries).

During an Opening night display, Reenactors interface with enthralled Film patrons, adding Cultural value to their Cinema evening, making Reenactment better known to the public, and getting a free seat in the Movie plus other perks. If lucky, they might even get popcorn or a choc top. They can display, talk about and show off their kit. A great Night Out.

Over the Year, a Club member can claw back the Club Subs by seeing different historical flicks (and others such as LOTR and Narnia) free of charge, thus recouping the cost of subs.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:43 am      Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:

fellow club members are also very helpful when undertaking a mammoth project

I fully agree with this as we have also taken on a mammoth project and without the help of friends and club mates (and their parents) then we wouldnt be so far.
still a long way to go though but it will be worth it.

This account is inactive

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:54 am      Reply with quote

A Mammoth Project? Does it involve DNA?
I remember when Fungus tried to get us to do Neanderthal Reenactment!
Yabba Dabba Do!

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:39 pm      Reply with quote

Gaius Drustanus wrote:

I remember when Fungus tried to get us to do Neanderthal Reenactment!
Yabba Dabba Do!

Wasn't that his stag night? Twisted Evil Laughing

TTFN

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:50 pm      Reply with quote

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer/Warhammer_Monsters/CHAOS-WAR-MAMMOTH.html

TO WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!
AAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

This account is inactive

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:02 pm      Reply with quote

The Secrets Out!
That Trumps Hannibal's Carthaginian War Elephants. 10,000 BC
Xerxes against the "300"! Even LOTR! Shocked

And Steven Spielberg just had a Dinosaur Theme Park.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:06 pm      Reply with quote

Of course, if you have read the Handbook of the Known World, you will know that Carthaginian War Elephants are one of the weapons in Reenactment banned by the SCA.

Just imagine how the Marshalls Eyes would Bug Out at That (not to mention DOC)

Page 2 of 5

Jump to: