Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Siege
Siege Combat Ideas
Goto page 1, 2  Next

NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:24 pm     Siege Combat Ideas Reply with quote

Calling all siege engineers. I'm currently revising the NAAMA Missile Combat Rules and would very much like some input on Combat Siege.

We haven't really used siege weaponry in combat yet and I would like to investigate the possibilities in more depth.

I know the SCA does this stuff so there must be ways of making it safe. I also know there are issues around firing tennis balls or clusters of tennis balls with some engines because they're so light. There are also many different forms of siege engine not yet existant in New Zealand reenactment which I'd like to cater for in some form or other.

So with all that in mind, how many of you have read the NAAMA Missile Combat Rules as they apply to siege? Do you agree with them? They're intentionally broad and non-specific because we just don't have much information or a consistent way or measuring impact.

I've also started another thread in the Archery section on this, here:
http://www.gatheringdarkness.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2213

Some of the specific things I'd like your thoughts on are these:

* Can you actually throw a single tennis ball or cluster of tennis balls from the larger trebs?

* Assuming you can do this with an arc of at least 45 degrees it should be safe enough hitting someone in the head right? After all it is only a tennis ball and isn't coming down from stratospheric heights?

* How hard is too hard in terms of impact? Can we scale up the surface area of siege munitions to spread the impact and therefor make heavier munitions? What would be a reasonable upper limit on this?

* Could we safely launch things like flour or water bombs from siege? There is obviously a dust problem or a rust problem respectively but are there other considerations for fragmentary projectiles?

* Should engines like the balista be subject to the same inch-pound restrictions that are applied to crossbows? Can we come up with a more generally applicable formula that works for missiles of all sizes?

Cheers,
Nigel
Oskar der Drachen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:35 am      Reply with quote

Nigel,

I have a lot of experice in this area, and would be glad to help. I'm strapped for time today though, but will be back to you shortly.

Oskar
NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:34 pm      Reply with quote

Oskar der Drachen wrote:
I have a lot of experice in this area, and would be glad to help. I'm strapped for time today though, but will be back to you shortly.

That would be excellent. Thank you sir.

Nigel
Stuart

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:28 am      Reply with quote

Yep, me too. Did sieges at Bodium Castle, Leeds, and isle of Man.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:02 am      Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:
Yep, me too. Did sieges at Bodium Castle, Leeds, and isle of Man.

Presumably they were using reasonably large trebs or something similar. So what sort of ammunition were they using? Were people targeted? If they were, what sort of rules were around this? Were shots announced or participants otherwise aware of incoming projectiles?

Nigel
conal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:51 pm      Reply with quote

I think it should be legal to be drunk in charge of siege engines.

There's been alot of hard yards done in this area and it'd be a shame to waste all those "state induced learnings".
NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:43 pm      Reply with quote

conal wrote:
I think it should be legal to be drunk in charge of siege engines.

There's been alot of hard yards done in this area and it'd be a shame to waste all those "state induced learnings".

I pretty much figured you'd have to have been in some sort of 'state' to build a bl**dy great trebuchet in your backyard anyway... it follows logically that you'd want to continue that state while using the thing, just in case you have a 'woooah, what the heck am I doing here?!' moment in the middle of a firing sequence... which would clearly be a safety hazard.

Nigel
conal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:11 pm      Reply with quote

Quid pro quo.

I'll supply the Rum...
Bogue
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:09 pm      Reply with quote

And then Conal, (by casting the 5th level spell "Summon Spirits") did say:-
Quote:
Quid pro quo.
I'll supply the Rum...

So I s'pose I should get to work on the 3.5m Cedar flagpole in the driveway then.

Mind you.
Rum and Hurling?
I've had that association before.

cheers
Bogue
conal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:02 pm      Reply with quote

She'll be right...

...nothing can possibly go wrong!
BigMac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:33 am      Reply with quote

just vomit into the bucket and then fling it over the walls, preferably while still warm Twisted Evil Medieval

TTFN

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:27 am      Reply with quote

Biological warfare. Mike you are a very cruel fellow!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:59 pm      Reply with quote

Gaius Drustanus wrote:
Biological warfare. Mike you are a very cruel fellow!

Thats why my coffee mug sez 'bastard by choice' on it Laughing

TTFN

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:04 pm      Reply with quote

Trrue Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:11 pm      Reply with quote

Vomit it is.

At 75m, One round. That man. (Mike)

Bearing directly.

(Don't have to ask twice)
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: