Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Archery
Any lessons from Easter Camp?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     View previous topic :: View next topic  

PopTart

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:58 pm      Reply with quote

In reference to Taupo:
Quote:
In that case there was mesh attached to the inside of the eye holes but it was (a) thinner than recommended and (b) not attached securely. An arrow hit the mesh and deformed it enough to make contact with the eye resulting in a visit to the hospital. Fortunately again there is no permanent damage.

That silly numpty was me sorry people (Willz).

I had mistakenly thought that the grill I was using was good enough (Hel, it was stainless steel welded and the gaps were 5mm!), but obviously my whole thing didn't cut the mustard (should've attached it over your lid ya muppet William!).

And my eye thing was very minor compared to Craig, you poor bugger! Wish you the best with the healing mate!

Having now been poked in the eye with the proverbial, I can honestly say that I feel that if you can get polycarbonate safety goggles to fit under your lid, then get 'em! Wraps should be the best, and I know that Bolle used to make some decent ones that weren't highly priced. As to fogging, love the onion idea, but if you can't stand the smell a lot of optometrist practices also sell anti-fog sticks for applying to the back of the lenses.

Don't change the rules, they are great. Just tighten the screws on the gear to keep dorks like myself from making everyone else look bad!

That should be all that is needed.

Just my 2c worth people.

Willz

NB I've been fired at, javelined at, sword swung at, horse jumped over, and more besides by Denyse many times. There is very few that I feel safer with or against on the field than her. Hail the Eke Valkyrie!!!!!!
NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:57 pm      Reply with quote

There has been informal discussion around using Eketahuna Hard Camp as a venue to discuss archery regulations, do some training, play with armour ideas, etc. I fully support this and invite anyone along who wants to have a say or has ideas. This shouldn't be an opportunity to stir, but it could be a chance to refine what we have, amend things if necessary, try new ideas, do some test shooting, or whatever.

Are people interested?

On another note - I want to update the Missile Combat Rules document to reflect recent information and learning. Eke camp will be an opportunity to discuss this with anyone who also has a specific interest.

Cheers,
Nigel
Warboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:23 pm      Reply with quote

I am keen to come along for constructive advice, suggestions or practical testing, depending on the weekend.

The structure we are building is great, and like anything is not flawless, but it is a work in progress so can only improve.

Accidents will always happen, it is just about reducing risk and learning from mistakes as we will never have a perfect system.

Minimum regs are a good idea, because being shot in the head is part of the fun, and the helmet should be the strongest point of protection.
As someone pointed out even in non headblow combat we wear helms as minimum regs because accidents happen, this should be the same for archery.

My 2c anyway, pretty much a rinse/repeat of what most supportive people have put forward but am happy to use my H+S training to offer advice where welcomed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:38 pm      Reply with quote

Well, I think this thread has done it's dash. These has been some fine points made.

I read that there is a meeting planned for the Eketahuna Hard Camp to discuss requirements and regulations for combat archery further. If people can post to the forum the stuff agreed on that would be marvellous.

I thank Dee and Craig for being willing to share their experiences. We wish Craig the best of healing, and we all won't underestimate Dee's combat archery abilities Wink

I will lock this thread now.

D

*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to top Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: