Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Historical Combat
WMA training in Wellington

Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:32 pm     WMA training in Wellington Reply with quote

Just to let people know that we are resuming WMA classes in Upper Hutt on February 10th out of the Upper Hutt Martial Arts Academy on Queen Street, Saturdays from 11.30 AM to 1 PM before our normal Order of the Boar mounted training from 2 PM onwards.

Our core system is 1.33 and we offer beginners a 6 week course in this system where they can learn enough of the system to spar competently.

We also cover Fiore in depth once students understand the basics of 1.33 and our class covers both 1.33 and Fiore, similar to Colin's approach but we only offer 1.33 and Fiore.

While part of the Order of the Boar, the WMA classes are not living history/re-enactment focused so many of our students come from other backgrounds. However if people want to advance to steel weapons we do require that they obtain correct period costume and armour.

Order of the Boar WMA costs $30 per month.

Order of the Boar Historical Foot Combat -
www.hapkido.org.nz/upperhutt.html
Colin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:21 am      Reply with quote

I'll possibly be in Wellington week starting Feb. 12

I've been told it is a 95% likelihood.

As usual, I'm doubly keen to get in touch with Wellingtonians to do some WMA training.

This is in all probability the last time I get a free ticket to Wellington.

State what night you want, and what you want me to cover (or teach me even).
Anyad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:33 pm      Reply with quote

Colin wrote:
I'll possibly be in Wellington week starting Feb. 12

I've been told it is a 95% likelihood.

As usual, I'm doubly keen to get in touch with Wellingtonians to do some WMA training.

This is in all probability the last time I get a free ticket to Wellington.

State what night you want, and what you want me to cover (or teach me even).

If you are looking for a venue Colin we have a backyard and a park over the hedge. People are welcome to come to our house and do a bit of stuff (no cover from the elements unfortunately). Plus we ahve a regular Wednesday night group that I am sure would be keen as mustard to host you. It would however be Wednesday, 14 Feb (Valentine's Day) and people may have plans.

However, our place is up for grabs if people are keen.
Dayna

*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*
Colin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:47 am      Reply with quote

That's great! PM me your address. I'll probably be staying at the Just Hotel.

What do you want me to cover?
Colin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:42 am      Reply with quote

Update: I will be in Wellington during the aforementioned dates.
Phil Berghan-Whyman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:57 am      Reply with quote

Hi Colin,

A few people have expressed interest in covering some period rapier techniques. So would it be possible to run something along that line?

Colin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:00 am      Reply with quote

Yes, do those people have their own rapiers? Last night I had an influx of new students, so my spares will have to remain here in Auckland Neutral (Good for me up here, bad for you down there)
Colin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:50 pm      Reply with quote

I'll be in Wellington June 18 - 20.

I can devote some time towards WMA activities to anyone interested.

I could, perceivably, be in Wellington Sunday (afternoon/evening) if that helps a WMA-meet.

See http://www.swordsmanship.co.nz/
Phil Berghan-Whyman

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:50 pm      Reply with quote

Thats inside Dayna due period for baby, so unless we are learning sword and catchers mitt, I may have to pass. I suspect some of the others may be keen though.
Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:45 pm      Reply with quote

Hi Colin,

Spoke to the team here at training yesterday and they are all keen. So we'll sort something out in Upper Hutt for the Tuesday night. I will also extend the invitation to the wider Wellington re-enactment community as well.

Callum.

Order of the Boar Historical Foot Combat -
www.hapkido.org.nz/upperhutt.html
Colin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:46 pm      Reply with quote

Seeing that I'm moving to Wellington this coming weekend, what WMA styles would (Wellington) people like to do?

I'm not, initially, bring a lot of gear and I'm imagining for the first few months it being ad hoc. At this stage I don't intend to be involved in re-enactment, but that could change.

I'll be bringing a few cutlasses if people are interested in some 18th century maritime WMA BTW. I believe rum should be a compulsory part of training Wink

Some, but certainly not restricted, ideas include:

The Liechtenaur tradition of medieval German martial arts
    Fiore dei Liberi corpus of medieval Italian martial arts
    English Two handed sword (medieval too)
    Early 17th century Italian rapier
    Renaissance Spanish rapier
    English Renaissance short sword and quarterstaff
    18th/19th century military sabre/cutlass or Scottish broadsword
    19th century English bare knuckle boxing

NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:08 am      Reply with quote

Sorry to sidetrack the thread, but what is 18th century maritime WMA? Is this a variant of something else designed to be used by sailors? I'm curious about it's purpose and how it might differ from other styles.

Back on the main topic - yes I'm keen to participate in training with you from time to time... although my life is moving into a hectic time over the next month, so not sure when. Drop me a note, or via Dayna and Phil when you get here. Let's get you settled in first.

Nigel
Colin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:33 am      Reply with quote

The cutlass is a style of sword eminently more suited to ships (riggings, lower decks and so on and so forth). In practice it is the same as (military) sabre, but with the caveat that the thumb is more exposed (compared to military sabre). It is also shorter than its erstwhile cousin. It is designed to be used by sailors.

Ideally it should be practiced with an eyepatch, peg-leg, parrot (or monkey) and a bottle of rum in the left hand Twisted Evil

A school in the USA has the added advantage over me in that they do their trainings aboard an actual ship Evil or Very Mad

IMO it is quite fun. For those that have done the stage fighting stuff before there bears some similarities, but unlike stage fighting it is designed for actual combat, so it tends to be both a boon and bane in the same breath. A boon in that some of the terminology is the same, but a bane in that the mechanics are different (it is, afterall, designed to work.) Still, the differences are not insurmountable for those willing to learn.

Colin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:36 am      Reply with quote

NigelT wrote:
Back on the main topic - yes I'm keen to participate in training with you from time to time... although my life is moving into a hectic time over the next month, so not sure when. Drop me a note, or via Dayna and Phil when you get here. Let's get you settled in first.

Nigel

Thanks. I don't intend on starting anything formal for a little while. I want to learn more about my new home town first Smile

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: