cheers
tank

normal_00412_composite_166.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  14.16 KB
 Viewed:  26021 Time(s)

normal_00412_composite_166.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:09 pm      Reply with quote

If you want an aria you should probably ask Chantelle. Don't forget her Mega Sale in Devonport on this Saturday.

Gothic maybe.? From the Rhineland (and nothing to do with Goths). Is the Helm a Burgonet? KAOS will know, ask Hannay (Where is Maxwell when you need him? Wasn't 99 cute?)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:38 pm      Reply with quote

Not my period by a long shot, though I am closer the Rob, but I would say late 15th C/ early 16thC.

Looks English.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:53 pm      Reply with quote

It's list armour for combat on foot, probably German, early to mid c16th.

at a guess...

N
tank

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:31 am      Reply with quote

hmm
you seem to be right bout the germanity of the helm which would serjest to rest of the suit is german also
i think the helmet falls into the "bourgundian sallet" or "Burgonet"
becoulse when i googled them they all showed simmerler features to the one in my pic

also i couldnt find any info on armour coming from 'Rhineland'

hannay may be the person to ask

cheers
tank

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:52 am      Reply with quote

yea looks like a 16thc style, just needs a big gainly matchlock pistol ahah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:40 am      Reply with quote

No, really, it's list armour. You can tell from the symmetrical pauldrons and the shape of the lower helm.
It would have had a long skirt below the waistline, similar to this suit. That stuff wasn't much in evidence before the C16, so it will date to there.

Later period (c17) dress harnesses had similar pauldron arrangements, but this isn't one of those. Not fancy enough.

This one (my pic) is Italian, note the difference in the shoulders and breastplate.

I'd say German or Burgundian, but the man to ask is Joram. That's his end of the (historical) world.

Nic

listharness.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.88 KB
 Viewed:  25984 Time(s)

listharness.jpg

tank

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:22 pm      Reply with quote

thanx nic

list armour meens "foot combat"??
u recon the rest of that suit is skirted? lol

cheers
tank

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:46 pm      Reply with quote

List armour was designed to be used in tournament combats fought over a list (rail) like what is used for jousitng.

The blows were therefore predominatnly downwards, (as it's very hard to strike upwards with a fence in front of you) and thus the armour was designed to shed downwards blows.

This is why the armour was "skirted".

Get thee to a Library, Chris.

Very Happy

Nic
Nathan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:37 pm      Reply with quote

You could post it on the armour archive www.armourarchive.com
The stick jocks there have a really good grasp of various armours.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:48 pm      Reply with quote

I thought it was becoz you would list to one side if you were clocked with a Halberd! Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:59 pm      Reply with quote

The Burgonet had something to do with Burgundians (and nothing to do with Burgers, fish nets, Flemish or otherwise) and is reminiscent of a Hellenistic helmet called "Thracian", just as the the roughly contemporary Barbut was not dissimilar to the famous "Corinthian" helm of ancient antiquity. In the Renaissance (the "rebirth" of cultural Classicism of Rome and Greece) design harked back to these distant precedents from a lost "Golden Age"

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:34 am      Reply with quote

Gaius Drustanus wrote:
The Burgonet had something to do with Burgundians (and nothing to do with Burgers, fish nets, Flemish or otherwise) and is reminiscent of a Hellenistic helmet called "Thracian", just as the the roughly contemporary Barbut was not dissimilar to the famous "Corinthian" helm of ancient antiquity. In the Renaissance (the "rebirth" of cultural Classicism of Rome and Greece) design harked back to these distant precedents from a lost "Golden Age"

Barbutes were better designed too, an excellent helmet that offers good face protection if you don't want a visor. Much better vision than the old Corinthian helmets.

For a Barbute, see http://www.swordsandarmor.com/images/H6_Barbute.JPG

For a Greek Fifth-Century BC Corinthian helm, see
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/48/Corinthian_helmet_BM_2838.jpg
(Watch out, it's a big file, lots of detail of this old bronze masterpiece)

They lost too much vision, and in their style of close-order shieldwall combat, they didn't seem to mind losing a little face protection in favour of more vision (not to mention more ability to breathe), so they moved to helmets like this:
http://www.sheshen-eceni.co.uk/images/attic%20type%20greek%20helmet%20001.jpg

They were thin in places too, ranging from 0.5mm to 1.6mm (some were 2.0mm). Bear in mind these were bronze, not iron (or our harder steel). One wonders what sort of impacts they faced.

Then again, we are probably more subject to blows on the head than they would have been. Not every combatant actually recieved direct blows from an enemy, charged or not.

So, back to the thread then...I know the harness above was just as likely to receive direct downwards blows, but their helmets seem much better suited to it than those of the Ancients. I see all but the most direct blows hopefully glancing off the tops of helmets (hence the use of maces, warhammers etc). Getting outside my area now, if someone more qualified wishes to comment?

Last edited by Victorius on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:04 am      Reply with quote

Victorius wrote:
I know the harness above wasn't as likely to receive direct downwards blows,

Yes. It. Was.

Victorius wrote:
Getting outside my area now, if someone more qualified wishes to comment?

Disenier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:38 am      Reply with quote

The armour is a very late 16th or early to mid 17th century field harness for rank and file, rather than nobility (which were much more decorated, see the 3rd link for an example) it is not a tournament harness or list armour. It is possibly german.

Im not sure where that exact harness is but you can see similar ones here:

http://www.ritterruestung-handgeschmiedet.de/englishversion/developmentarmour/pictures/armour1630.jpg

http://www.museum-joanneum.at/upload/image/big/2317.jpg

http://www.museum-joanneum.at/upload/image/big/2316.jpg

http://www.digital-images.net/Images/London/PlateArmor_LeedsCastle_1647.jpg

http://www.cullodenantiques.com/pages/armour-1.html

Last edited by Disenier on Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: