Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Other Crafts
Net making
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Keeghan_M

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:26 am     Net making Reply with quote

Hi

I am interested in starting to make some nets out of hand twisted rope/string, i have access to the equipment needed for the rope/string but i cant find any good reference to making the actual net. i.e what not to use, how to lay it out, what patterns, sizes for different uses etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Keeghan
Anoushka

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:29 pm      Reply with quote

Hi
I make fine net - as in with crochet cotton. I think the technique is the same as for course net? I know you make fish nets the same way. You need a netting shuttle to hold the thread/cord while you work.
Are you intending to be a NAARMA here in Tauranga in October? I will if that's any help?
Anoushka
BigMac

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:26 pm      Reply with quote

Anoushka wrote:
Hi
I make fine net - as in with crochet cotton. I think the technique is the same as for course net? I know you make fish nets the same way. You need a netting shuttle to hold the thread/cord while you work.
Are you intending to be a NAARMA here in Tauranga in October? I will if that's any help?
Anoushka

What does the R stand for? Laughing

TTFN

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:45 pm      Reply with quote

Rocketscience?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:24 pm      Reply with quote

um i think genraly the size depends on what you want it to hold (or keep out or whatever) and how much work u want to do =]

ie. realy big thingy, then u dont need to bother with small holes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:20 pm      Reply with quote

??Questions?? wrote:

ie. realy big thingy, then u dont need to bother with small holes

Always found the reverse to be true actually Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:12 pm      Reply with quote

Quote Big Mac "What does the R stand for? Laughing"

The R stands for, umm "Really" or maybe "rare" o o "Robust" or possibly R = digital malfunction Laughing
Gaius Drustanus
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:24 pm      Reply with quote

"Small Holes are Still Best"
Saint Gregory the Grate. Godfather of Medieval Rome.
"Not Angels but Angles"!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:30 pm      Reply with quote

And Robbo did reply to Questions semi-piscatorial comment with this
Quote:

Always found the reverse to be true actually

And there are now scars on my fingers from the restraint of not making, unsuitable for public viewing, comments.

I'll leave your fertile and furtive imaginations to come up with what I was most likely going to say.

To keep it on topic the best net maker I ever met was a little 16 year old Vietnamese kid whose dad taught him. But then our skipper biffed him over the side about 15km off the 'naki coast. Didn't see him after that.

cheers
Bogue

PS: It's ok the other boat in our pair picked him up.
Gaius Drustanus
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:06 pm      Reply with quote

Another offering to Poseidon!

Chum!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:10 am      Reply with quote

My apologies. The 'r' stands for 'Ah well, never mind'.

Anoushka
Anoushka

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:29 am      Reply with quote

In spite of the number of asinine posts suddenly being made, I note that none of them are actually helpful to the original question.
hemp twine is best, but you may have trouble accessing the raw material. (before our Einsteins out there suggest it, no canabis won't do). you can use flax fibre, agave, or a number of other natural fibres, but flax may be your best bet. The process for making it is rather time consuming but not too difficult. there seem to be enough people around various forum boards with low IQ's, too much time on their hands, and not enough constructive to do. I'm sure you can con one into doing the job for you.
you can use nylon twine, but it's not period authentic, (flax is, in that it's a fairly near substitute for agave) and it requires two knots per net loop, where natural fibres lock with only one. Also you can put nylon mesh aside wet, whereas you have to dry natural fibres before storing, or they rot quite quickly, and lunch will escape. Fishing nets are more efficient made from nylon, as they spend too much time wet.
The purpose of the net alters how it is made. If it is a throwing net, it is made with a straight edge, and the starting point is a rod. If it is a seine or purse net, the start and end points are iron rings. the size of the mesh is again determined by what you want to catch. Obviously rats need a small mesh, rabbits a little larger, other fighters, fairly big would work well. assuming the purpose would be to hinder rather than completely hold. Within reason, the size of the twine doesn't alter that much when the mesh size increases. The mesh size is determined by a size board you wrap the twine around before knotting, which keeps it nicely uniform.
Other than that, it's a simple process, taking time and care rather than requiring great skill - speed takes practice and skill, but the job itself is fairly easy.
Gaius Drustanus
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:18 am      Reply with quote

Rotten? Ridiculous? Ratbag? Riske? Rotund? ???
Do tell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:21 am      Reply with quote

Oh!
Asinine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:05 am      Reply with quote

Flax (Formium Tenax) would be a great substitute for hemp rope.
IF you are prepared for all the pre netting retting, scutching and other fascinating but odiferous flax cord tasks.

Hemp twine is available from the Trade Aid group of stores. But it is not a very strong twist.

And Anoushka NB: Asinine yes, Low IQ no, irreverent definitely.

cheers
Bogue
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: