Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Reenactment Combat
Not really re-enactment
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Carl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:04 am      Reply with quote

the lightsaber duel in the first one was I feel the better of the two, not for the choreography of the fight but for the use of the camera. Duality ( the second one) is lovely and pretty but the fight is a lot less sophisticated and the camera is pushed in tighter and as a result loses some of the "Scope".

With full respect to Oskars comments, yep if someone was to stand in front of me spinning thier sword around in pretty patterns I would kill him for being a dork and then bury his corpse in lime for the insult, but this is not real fighting it is story telling and leans more towards dance than actual fighting much the same as Capoiera.

as for what is missing from most staged fights, Tension, think of the best movie fights, "Princess Bride", "Gladiator" "The Duelists" "Rob Roy" the fighters are putting character, emotion, and passion into the fighting which creates Tension for the viewer because they make it look real, even the fights in "Star Wars" have that tension.

You can almost see in the eyes of the combatants the thought process of "If I lose I am dead, I will never see my loved ones again, this man will take away all that I am and ever will be" and that creates emotional tension that the viewer connects with.

check this one out, watch it twice, once for the sword work and then again and look at the fighters eyes and faces you will the fear and apprehension that comes out in a fight to the death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGL1YD3qYg8&feature=PlayList&p=645EC215B4E41063&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=49

cheers
carl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:20 am      Reply with quote

Quote:
as for what is missing from most staged fights, Tension, think of the best movie fights, "Princess Bride", "Gladiator" "The Duelists" "Rob Roy" the fighters are putting character, emotion, and passion into the fighting which creates Tension for the viewer because they make it look real, even the fights in "Star Wars" have that tension.

Give that man a cigar.

Tension comes from storyline, and without it, no fight really works.
Unless there is both character and motivation in the fight it's just pretty, swirly stuff.

As for the link, yep, it's a bit better, but it comes from a movie, so that is expected. Note also that the whole thing, including setup time is 2 mins. Much easier to watch than the same moves repeated for 6-8 minutes of gratuitous armed ballet.

Once again, the boys who did the lightsaber stuff did well, but they've only managed to score 50%. (Proved they can use weapons and post-process the lightsaber bling).

N
Carl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:36 am      Reply with quote

ok I deleted my last post as it was entirely out of context.

below is the link to a wonderful film that I believe will end the debate, swords and lightsabers are old hat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqUc_t5-y3Y

enjoy
carl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:10 pm      Reply with quote

I remember that when it came out.

Nice find.

Proper attention to detail makes all the difference!
(so does animation - nothing like considering each action in 24ths of a second to really make you think about what's happening)

Smile

N
Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:42 pm      Reply with quote

"crotch-sniffing sidekick"

Love it!

Just watched that for the third time this morning.

I really should do some work now...

N
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: