You are here: Forum Index -> Historical Combat
Reivers Winter Workshops, 2010
Goto page Previous  1, 2

tank

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:14 am      Reply with quote

Quote:
Sarcasm is a free service I offer. Twisted Evil
Code:

yes but the point of sarcasm is mostly lost on people when used in a [u]forum[/u] unless they know you well enough

oh cool might have to come and invade one weeekend then   tho i will have to make me a new headblow helm as my current one isnt very good

what time you guys train?    and u train out at thorssons right?

cheers
tank

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:11 am      Reply with quote

Robbo wrote:
tin cans Smile

Sweet. I'd love to come and 'tin can' you sometime.

Smile
Victorius

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:00 am      Reply with quote

Some amount of "tin-can"may be possible for Dark Age combatants (depending upon persona if you use them). Metal lamellar was in use (there's a Norseman around I have seen who uses it too), and the Franks had metal scale. Make some and say you took it off a Frank you killed during the Siege of Paris maybe? Or maybe you killed a neighbouring enemy who got it off someone who got it off someone who got it off the Rus, who got it off someone at Mickelgard? A bit complicated maybe, but possible.

Of course, it also depends on your club rules regarding equipment sources I guess (always defer to your club rules regarding equipment first, before doing your own thing).

Boiled leather lamellar is pretty effective though, and it doesn't need de-rusting or rust-prevention. It's ironic in our day and age that thick hide for leather lamellar is far more expensive to get than 1 mm steel sheet for metal lamellar or scale.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:13 pm      Reply with quote

Freebooter wrote:
Robbo wrote:
tin cans Smile

Sweet. I'd love to come and 'tin can' you sometime.

Smile

Paper, scissors, pollax this Sat Nic?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:43 pm      Reply with quote

Paper Pollaxe.

Let's start a trend...

Razz
Robbo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:19 pm      Reply with quote

Victorius wrote:
Some amount of "tin-can"may be possible for Dark Age combatants (depending upon persona if you use them). Metal lamellar was in use (there's a Norseman around I have seen who uses it too)

Think Thorsson. Smile

Tank, we tend to kick off around 2(ish), at Thorrson's place most times. Light warm up, drills, slow time work for technique, sparring, line work...in between there is room for smoke breaks, water and coffee as needed :p

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:44 am      Reply with quote

Thanks to all who came along for a really enjoyable class on Monday.

We covered some much more advanced stuff than we have in the past, Marozzo's first four guardds of sword and buckler, their strikes and simple defences and the footwork that makes it all happen.

We also looked at the tempo of blows and the influence of that tempo on the timing of a fight.

Next week we're going into the next four guards, plus integrating more complex bladework into the fence. We'll keep up with that until about the end of the month, after which we'll be looking at Agrippa andthen moving on into Di Grassi.

Smashing good fun!

Nic
Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:57 pm      Reply with quote

Thanks to all for another super-enjoyable night. I must say, it is quite a joy for me to be teaching above the basic level at sidesword (at last!), and the group is progressing well with the new material.

The next two weeks should see us move on from the sidesword and start the transition into the rapier. Agrippa is just around the corner.

Nic
Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:40 am      Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Training tonight will be at Porl's:

39a Rockfield Road Penrose Parking either on the roadside out front on the road or up the drive.

It's about 1km from the hall, so not far off the beaten track.

Looking forward to it.

Nic
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: