Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Historical Combat
Reivers Winter Workshops, 2010
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:07 am     Reivers Winter Workshops, 2010 Reply with quote

Hi All,

It always takes me a few weeks to recover from Taupo, and this year has been no exception. Nonetheless, I am getting back into the swing of things, and thought I'd make a wee note about this year's workshop series.

The last couple of years, we've focussed on the older weapons - longswords and sideswords. The play has been good, and it's been nice to see the skills increase in these forms.

This year, I'm planning on presenting classes on some of the later weapons available to us as well, (because let's face it guys, even longsword is very early for me!)

We'll start with a quick brush-up on the sidesword, covering Marozzo for the most part. This will form the basis of an investigation into the development of the Rapier; so from Marozzo we'll move through Agrippa, di Grassi and Saviolo, before winding up the classes with an investigation of Fabris. For this season, we will leave the later Rapier styles of Capo Ferro and Alfieri, as others are already teaching those in and around Auckland.

This will take about half the winter, and will wind up around July/August.

The second part will begin with an investigaton of the sabre, both in a military and a duelling aspect. I've just collected a pair of nice italian-esque duelling sabres from hannay, and so now have two pairs of these weapons available. Sabre is probably the most fun you can have with a sword, and I urge those interested to come along and/or contact Hannay about these excellent weapons.

We will run a longsword course following the sabre, if time allows.

Please note folks, we like you to provide your own kit. I have spare masks, but they're all in a pretty sorry state after three Taupo Tournaments, and I have pairs of most weapons. If you enjoy a weapon form, please equip yourself for it.

I'll try and post updates on a weekly basis to this thread.

Best,

Nic
Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:09 am     Re: Reivers Winter Workshops, 2010 Reply with quote

Freebooter wrote:
Hi All,

It always takes me a few weeks to recover from Taupo, and this year has been no exception. Nonetheless, I am getting back into the swing of things, and thought I'd make a wee note about this year's workshop series.

The last couple of years, we've focussed on the older weapons - longswords and sideswords. The play has been good, and it's been nice to see the skills increase in these forms.

This year, I'm planning on presenting classes on some of the later weapons available to us as well, (because let's face it guys, even longsword is very early for me!)

We'll start with a quick brush-up on the sidesword, covering Marozzo for the most part. This will form the basis of an investigation into the development of the Rapier; so from Marozzo we'll move through Agrippa, di Grassi and Saviolo, before winding up the classes with an investigation of Fabris. For this season, we will leave the later Rapier styles of Capo Ferro and Alfieri, as others are already teaching those in and around Auckland.

This will take about half the winter, and will wind up around July/August.

The second part will begin with an investigaton of the sabre, both in a military and a duelling aspect. I've just collected a pair of nice italian-esque duelling sabres from hannay, and so now have two pairs of these weapons available. Sabre is probably the most fun you can have with a sword, and I urge those interested to come along and/or contact Hannay about these excellent weapons.

We will run a longsword course following the sabre, if time allows.

Please note folks, we like you to provide your own kit. I have spare masks, but they're all in a pretty sorry state after three Taupo Tournaments, and I have pairs of most weapons. If you enjoy a weapon form, please equip yourself for it.

I'll try and post updates on a weekly basis to this thread.

FIRST CLASS STARTS MONDAY, MARCH 1

Best,

Nic
Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:10 am      Reply with quote

Ack! wrong button!

FIRST CLASS STARTS MONDAY MARCH 01.
Ben_sutton

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:28 pm      Reply with quote

goddamn i wish i lived further north.
Robbo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:55 pm      Reply with quote

SABRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:32 am      Reply with quote

TOOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:54 am      Reply with quote

Ben_sutton wrote:
goddamn i wish i lived further north.

Robbo wrote:
SABRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can do weekend workshops.

Smile

Can't do them for free though.

Sad

Collect interested people and make me an offer.

Cool
Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:48 am      Reply with quote

Hi All,

Starting monday I'm launching into Sword and Buckler for the early C16.
We'll reprise the basic stuff we covered last year in the first few sessions, then move onto some more interesting stuff.

This monday we'll be looking at posture, guard and footwork. Depending on numbers and composition, I'm also going to start a regular combat session in the last half of the evening. The combat will be open, but I recommend using the weapon form under investigation and practising with it.

Looking forward to Monday.

Smile

Nic
psyclone

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:49 am      Reply with quote

Apologies as I wont be their... Work is sending me to Sydney for Monday Tuesday. Catch you the woeek following

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:23 pm      Reply with quote

Thanks to all who made it along last night. It felt good to get back into the swing of things again.

Next week sidesword starts in earnest by looking at Marozzo's progression of guards, their use in opposition and their defensive/offensive approaches.

That's usually a lot of fun, and I look forward to seeing you all back for more.

nic
tank

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:58 pm      Reply with quote

damn wish there was some of these training nights down this way (ravens have a wenzday night bash) bash as in litterly no real point to it

tank

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:06 pm      Reply with quote

Yeah, pity there was no other group close to Foxton who meet, say even on Sundays, you could catch up with ... Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:44 pm      Reply with quote

robbo u dont have to be sooooo sarcastic
i havnt met up with the suthern norce 4 sume time myt have to come and join in with u guys? but you dont realy incorrage plate armoured personal?

tank

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:18 pm      Reply with quote

Tank quote:"suthern norce" Mr. Green

Nors is an abbreviation of Norwigans who live on the "Northern Way" (Norway). So how do U shorten Suthen norce?

Snores?
Sauce?
Suce? Twisted Evil lol

To quote Robbo: "runs"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:39 pm      Reply with quote

tank wrote:
robbo u dont have to be sooooo sarcastic

tank

You obviously don't know me very well. Sarcasm is a free service I offer. Twisted Evil

Just cause we don't use plate, doesn't mean we deny visitors and tin cans the option. Smile

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: