Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Textiles, Garb and Jewelery
Schnittbuch

Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:27 am     Schnittbuch Reply with quote

Came across this resource while looking for costume inspiration:
http://www.elizabethancostume.net/schnittbuch/index.html

A german patternbook of c1590. Includes Tents, Horse Barding and much more.

N
Ben_sutton

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:39 am      Reply with quote

hey dude. I've been meaning to say, thats a very cool find.

Just so you know I have the following books winging their way to me, so if you wanna have a look gimme the heads up, though obviously it would have to wait till a point where I am not using them for course stuff Smile

"Patterns of Fashion: The Cut and Construction of Clothes for Men and Women C1560-1620"
Janet Arnold

"The Tudor Tailor: Reconstructing 16th-Century Dress"
Ninya Mikhaila

"Medieval Tailor's Assistant: Making Common Garments 1200-1500"
Sarah Thursfield

Tudor and Elizabethan Fashions (History of Fashion)"
Tom Tierney

"Duellists Companion: A training manual for 17th century Italian rapier"
Guy Windsor

"Swords: An Artist's Devotion"
Ben Boos
Chantelle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:15 pm      Reply with quote

beware...beware....

tudor tailor is a dangerous book....it is not a be all and end all and should be taken with a grain of salt (And like any book ....) a heap of other books and references

they say themselves that most of it is guess work (as it should be as there are almost no examples of tudor garb in existance) in there and they don't know if some of the patterns etc are actually how they did stuff...and i agree after looking closely into the subject these past three months...

medieval tailors assist is also a bit dodge....but i have said that before...

there is a book (and i am kicking myself for not buying it last year when i was here..and now i have to wait for it to come back into stock) translated into eng with the original facimlie on the other side

alcega, juan de, Tailors pattern book, 1589

true to period, written then, put into english for us all...totally worth it!

janet arnold (as i have said before is a goddess) and her stuff is the best bet for historical accuracy, i have now been able to see more than a couple of the items she has written about in her books in person, and she does not let you down, they are amazing!

when i get back from eng i am bringing a good twenty kg of books with me (most i have been reading and researching from while over here)- a lot focusing specifically on late med and tudor/elizabethan - and not just their clothing, you get heaps from reading other books on the period to so you are most welcome to have a look etc at what i have xx

also bringing over 4000 photos of details etc from paintings, sculptures, artifacts etc from all over europe, so if you want you can trawl through those at taupo x

love to you both xx
Archer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:59 pm      Reply with quote

Hey Nic

Have seen that link befor and it is amazing.

Have just looked up janet arnold on the net and she doesn't seem to have covered much before the Tudor periodc, certainly it looks the eariest she goes back to is 1540, which certainly after our period.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:07 am      Reply with quote

To Graham...

yeah...most of her stuff is done off actual written accounts from the period (household lists and sumptuary laws etc) and also the intensive examination and then preservation of the remaining articles of clothing around the world...trouble is there is little to nothing the tudor period..sigh..let alone before it apart from things found in bogs and excivations...

what period do you want stuff for? - i know roughly when your group is set, but I have quite a lot of resources and have been looking at them all thoroughly this last three months..alot of generic websites can be very deceptive - even books can! people researching specific periods in the last couple of years have completly revised and re-evaulated what was acceptable in the construction and piecing together of historical fashion in the last few years through archelogical and extanct evidence etc....all thoroughly facinating (well...to me at least..x)

.if you need anything specific i may be able to help and bring the info to taupo? xx

xx
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: