Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Help with this site
Paypal

Lissa
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:52 pm     Paypal Reply with quote

With the 'donate' function of this site, does Paypal take a percentage/fee each time someone donates through that feature?
NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:02 pm      Reply with quote

Hi Lissa,

They do, but it's only about 1%, so it's not a biggie. When people found out that I was funding the site myself a few years ago they asked me to put a donate button on the site so they could contribute. Generally we run pretty close to the mark, but we're still going, so I am very greatful to the people that have kept us going through donations.

This conversation requires a certain humbleness, which is always weird. But if you do want to donate, you're more than welcome and you don't have to use the donate function if you'd prefer another method. Oh and you get to have the word 'sponsor' next to your name Smile

Does that answer your question?

Cheers,
Nigel
Lissa
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:51 pm      Reply with quote

Nigel!
That it very generous of you to set up and keep this running for us all, alot of people use this site. It is very much appreciated.
I'll donate what I can Smile
ChronicD
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:29 pm     paying yearly? Reply with quote

Hey Nigel

Would it be possible to create a yearly donation request via email, i know you dont like asking people to give money but for some of us with rather poor memories we tend to forget and so it would be handy to have that little reminder.

Also i have no idea what your costs are so perhaps you could work out a rough cost per year for the site and we could divide that cost by 20 or 30 or whatever and ask for that many users to step forward and say they will pay a portion of the said sum. these people would then receive the yearly "reminder". In the reminder it can state the estimated cost for the next year and the current number of yearly donaters and the sum of their portion of the costs.

It would work nicely as the more who signed up for the yearly amount the less we would all pay. Obviously there is a small problem of people forgetting to pay and you certainly dont want to be the guy chasing people up for it - so perhaps instead any amount not contributed would be taken forward to the next year and then back paid as part of the next years donations? and of course it would remain anonymous as to who it was and that person would simply be taken off the email list of the premise that they dont want to donate any more.

ummm im pretty sure your gona be against this but i thought id ask

Daniel lewis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:51 pm      Reply with quote

I think that sounds great. Count me in!
NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:00 pm      Reply with quote

Hey Daniel,

Some good thinking there. But you're right, I'm against it. Sorry.

I really don't want to approach people asking for money. And I'd rather you donated when you feel it's time or you're desperate to launder a few dollars.

I will have to do the math again because we recently changed hosts and accordingly costs. It's only a couple of hundred dollars a year. We're not talking big bucks. And ultimately if there's a shortfall I'm happy to cover it myself. It's more the principle of the thing. This is here for the community, so I asked the community for a small amount of support. And as I said, so far people like you all, remember now and then and giving $20 here and there is enough.

I also don't want to end up with thousands of dollars when it's not needed - that's just embarassing.

I hope that clarifies it a little.

nigel
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: