Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Historical Combat
Order of the Boar - Changes to Monthly Longsword Class

Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:55 am     Order of the Boar - Changes to Monthly Longsword Class Reply with quote

Changes To The Monthly Longsword Class.

I have decided to discontinue the dedicated monthly Long Sword class as this is now redundant given that Long Sword now features prominently in our normal classes.

Instead I am replacing it with a dedicated tournament class. The class will be a sparring class with a bit of pressure added to help prepare people for WMA style tournaments.

30 minutes of the class will be dedicated to technical training with an emphasis on tournament fighting and the remaining one hour for tournament style sparring.

During fine days the class will be held outside, probably at Harcourt Park and will be steel weapons with appropriate protection (the intention being to get people used to fighting in front of an audience). During wet days the class will be held at the Upper Hutt Martial Arts Academy and will be with wooden wasters to avoid damaging the flooring.

The class will be held on the first Saturday of each month from 11.30 AM to 1 PM with the first class being scheduled to start on Saturday March 6th. For those interested, we will also schedule a horse/foot workshop immediately afterwards at 2 - 2.30 PM, weather permitting.

The class is part of the normal UHSEMA programme and is covered in the normal monthly training fees. The cost per class of non UHSEMA members is $10. We will be doing both sword and buckler and long word. Later in the year we also plan to start introducing armoured poll axe as well.

There will have a small trophy for each weapon that will be contested at each month’s class. Minimum age to take part in the class (and UHSEMA training in general is 12) and I will also have a junior’s trophy as well for those under 16, subject to demand.

Order of the Boar Historical Foot Combat -
www.hapkido.org.nz/upperhutt.html
Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:00 am      Reply with quote

Just to remind everybody that we are running our first monthly tournament training class this coming Saturday. This first class will focus more on helping people to transition from sparring in class to sparring under competitive conditions with a view to helping people prepare for Harcourt Park 2011 and other similar events.

Venue: Upper Hutt Martial Arts Academy (off Lyster Lane) from 11 AM to 1.30 PM.

As this is an open session, anybody in the wider re-enactment community is welcome. Please bring gambeson, fencing mask, gloves and wooden wasters. As this is the first session of this nature that we are running, we will be using just wasters this time, transitioning to steel in the April class.

Cost for non UHSEMA/Order of the Boar members is $10. If anybody is interested afterwards then you are welcome to attend the Order of the Boar training afterwards with a view to running a horse/foot session.

Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:22 pm      Reply with quote

Just a reminder that our monthly Tournament Class is on this Saturday (April 3rd) for those who are interested.

Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:16 am      Reply with quote

Just a reminder that with Taupo and Harcourt Park coming up, that the Order of the Boar Historical Sword Fighting Team runs monthly classes that focus on training for actual competitions on the first Saturday of each month at the Upper Hutt Martial Arts Academy in Upper Hutt from 11.30 AM to 1 PM. Cost for casual attendees is $10 a class for those of you who bring your own equipment

Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:06 pm      Reply with quote

Hi Callum,

Do you happen to have a list of prospective training dates that you could publish here? I'm planning a trip to Wellington, and would love to tie-in with a session.

Nic
Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:49 am      Reply with quote

Hi Nic,

We train every Saturday from 11.30 AM to 1 PM at the Upper Hutt Martial Arts Academy. Afterwards we commence our mounted training from 2 PM at our place at Kaitoke. Let us know when you are coming down as it would be great to host you.

Callum.

Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:44 am      Reply with quote

The Order of the Boar Historic Sword Fighting team will be resuming normal weekly classes from this Saturday (March 12th).

I have been reviewing the way I teach material post-Harcourt Park and have taken some lessons on-board. While my main material will still be Fiore's longsword, I will be spending more time on preparing people for display and tournament fighting.

The class takes place at the Upper Hutt Martial Arts Academy on Lyster Lane (Upper Hutt) and runs from 11.30 to 1 PM. Cost is $15 a class casual or $40 a month for regular students. The class is followed an hour later with our normal equestrian training at our place from 2 PM to 4/5 PM.

Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:29 pm      Reply with quote

From August our Order of the Boar Historical Sword Fighting class on Saturday will start at 11 a.m. (as opposed to the current 11:30 a.m.) and run for two hours as opposed to the current hour and a half (e.g. still finish at 1 p.m.).

This is an response to a request from a number of our students for more training as well as the venue becoming available to us on Saturday morning from August. Although I do not have a firm date at this stage because I am unsure of exactly when the current users will be ceasing their class.

At 11 a.m. we will also be running concurrently, for about 40 minutes a junior sword fighting class on the smaller mat area. This class will be for my junior Hapkido students some of whom are interested in learning "Kumdo" (a Korean version of "Kendo") with foam swords.

The purpose of this class is to cater for demand which I am not meeting in my junior Hapkido classes as well as to create a younger pool of students who may naturally migrate to the historical sword fighting class when they are old enough and mature enough to do so.

So if you have any children (aged approximately 7 to 11) who you want to get into sword fighting in a fun and safe way this class is for them.

I will also be changing the rules and structure of future competitions that I organise and will also be affiliating all of my competitions to the International Combat League (http://www.internationalcombatleague.tk/) which is an offshoot of the International Jousting League which I am also a board member of. The jousting league sanctions tournaments all around the world and the results from these tournaments are tabulated into a world ranking system. The new combat league does the same and by affiliating our events to it, local results will be included in the world rankings as well as giving people here the opportunity to compete in other combat league affiliated events overseas.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: